Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anybody seen Randall Tex Cobb vs Dee Collier?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody seen Randall Tex Cobb vs Dee Collier?

This is the fight where the granite chinned Cobb who took all of Shavers', Holmes and Norton's punches was knocked out in the first round by journeyman Dee Collier. 4 knockdowns too, apparently. I can't find any footage of this but I've read that it does exist. Anybody confirm?

Some people are sceptical and claim that he took a dive. But after some more digging I found his fight against Eddie Gregg where he was knocked down viciously, so I now believe the Collier fight was legit.

See 5:45

Comment

Originally posted by BKM-2010 View Post
      This is the fight where the granite chinned Cobb who took all of Shavers', Holmes and Norton's punches was knocked out in the first round by journeyman Dee Collier. 4 knockdowns too, apparently. I can't find any footage of this but I've read that it does exist. Anybody confirm?

Cobb was alleged to have taken part in other fixed fights with his promoter. Don't remember his name, but I recall the Sports Illustrated article some time ago. I wouldn't be surprised.

Comment

If we could just see the fight I'm sure it would be obvious if he took a dive or not. Greggs showed that he could be caught by a hard shot he didn't see coming so perhaps Collier did the same very early and never let up.

Comment

Tex was vindicated in that deal with the Sports Illustrated claiming he threw a fight. Tex sued SI & won I believe. The promoter of the card Tex was on was proven to have fixed fights I the past . SI foolishly used Tex pic on its cover exposing the scandal

Comment

Wasn't Cobb a very heavy party dog? I heard he got drunk during training and test positive for coke before a fight. I don't care if you have a Chuvalo type chin, with this life style you are going to be knocked out.

Comment

Was there! First fight, my debut

I could tell you that Tex Cobb was rocked in the early first round and never recovered as a result the ref stopped it after 4 knockdowns. I didn't feel so bad, I was knocked down 3 times...lol Verify that I was there....I guess i will have to paste it in I can't put in a url so you will have to search my name Joey Demuth in the Boxing Records...boxrec.com/en/event/213291

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Demuth View Post
                I could tell you that Tex Cobb was rocked in the early first round and never recovered as a result the ref stopped it after 4 knockdowns. I didn't feel so bad, I was knocked down 3 times...lol Verify that I was there....I guess i will have to paste it in I can't put in a url so you will have to search my name Joey Demuth in the Boxing Records...boxrec.com/en/event/213291
                - -Ace testimonial Joey.

There used to be a grainy 10-15 sec clip available, but it didn't show much and has long been missing.

Did Tex ever talk about this fight? Gonna see if he might have a bio on my booksellers database.

Comment

They showed a clip of the Cobb/Collier fight on the local news, the LA area, that night. I remember seeing it but I don't remember much about it.

Comment

Cobb had an incredible chin and I wouldn't be surprised if that fight was fixed. It's so unlikely for him to get knocked out by a fighter of that caliber.

Comment

Working...
                    X