Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which ATG fell from the top the quickest

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hands down Riddick Bowe. The most meteoric rise and fall I've ever seen!

Should have been announced as Chicken "Food Bag" Bowe lol!

Comment

Originally posted by K-DOGG View Post
      If he'd beaten a close to his prime Whitaker and a prime Quartey you'd have an argument for sure. However, the hang up point to argue would be the decision over De La Hoya. It's in the record books, and De La Hoya's last round performance warranted a loss to me; but the reality is.......Oscar boxed his ears off. And that would open up criticism for ranking Trinidad too highly.

However, there have been sooo many great welterweights over the years, not making the top 5, or even the toop 10 doesn't mean you're not an ATG.....just not "immortal", so to speak.
      Good point. The Delahoya fight is a horrible stain on Trinidad's run but really if he had beaten P4P Whitaker, Brown, Page, Lopez, Quartey, even Carr in a rematch, would people care THAT much?

He had a span from 94-99 to do all that and didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommo1 View Post
        Hands down Riddick Bowe. The most meteoric rise and fall I've ever seen!

Should have been announced as Chicken "Food Bag" Bowe lol!
        If he qualified as an ATG......I would agree. However, three fights with Evander Holyfield make for a great series......not necessarily a great fighter. He was Great in the first one......but Buster Douglas was great for one night in Tokyo, too.

Still, I was surprised that Bowe's rise collapsed as quickly as it did. It's amazing what putting a kitchen in your bedroom can do for a career.

Comment

Originally posted by GRboxing View Post
          Good point. The Delahoya fight is a horrible stain on Trinidad's run but really if he had beaten P4P Whitaker, Brown, Page, Lopez, Quartey, even Carr in a rematch, would people care THAT much?

He had a span from 94-99 to do all that and didn't.
          Point taken. Probably not.

Comment

Bowe is not an ATG. nope

Comment

Gotta go with Tyson, that was the first name that came to mind because with the Buster Douglas loss, his aura of invincibility was shattered and he was never the same. He had some good wins after that, like Ruddock, but not like he had before then. A good career that could've been better.

Comment

Don Curry an ATG? That's up for discussion as a separate topic in its own right.....but the steep fall from grace for the P4P man of his day after the Honeyghan fight was dramatic and painful with Curry only managing one credible win against the always tricky and under-rated Rossi in Italy.

Knocked out by Mike McCallum, Michael Nunn, Terry Norris and some dude called Emmett Linton. Most humilatingly of all he lost to the very average Frenchman Rene Jacquot as well....who was most definitely not the second coming of Georges Carpentier or even Christophe Tiozzo for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodyshot3 View Post
                  Don Curry an ATG? That's up for discussion as a separate topic in its own right....

Not up for discussion. Curry had ATG potential; nowhere near an ATG resume.

Comment

roy jones has got to be high on the list.

Comment

Henry Armstrong, he was a bright spark that burned out too quickly, I would say that thats the reason I would rank Greb over him

Comment

Working...
                      X