No announcement yet.

1980's Tony tucker article. 26-0.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hemichromis
    tony tucker was a good fighter but did anyone else think- seeing the tyson fight- that he was trying to copy ali WAYYYY to much
    That Ali influence was prevalent in a lot of fighters back then.

Comment

Originally posted by hemichromis
      true but i couldn't stand how he did every ali movement he knew
      shuffle,windup etc
      ** Tucker only adopted the Ali run and jab style after the first few rounds when he tasted the power of Tyson. Tucker was a damn fine very underrated fighter. His only losses were to Tyson and then Lewis much later, and he went the distance with them. He was finally stopped at age 37 by Seldon, but all three of his stops were by TKO. He never took a 10 count.

Comment

I'll grant that Tucker was a decent 80's heavyweight, however calling him a "damn fine very underrated fighter" is a stretch.

Tucker's record is padded and littered with nobodies and trial horses. His most notable win against a ranked fighter was the Douglas fight which was even on the scorecards at the time of the stoppage, a dubious Douglas performance that labelled Douglas a quitter. This was Tucker's only stoppage win against a ranked fighter. Split decision wins over Oliver McCall and Orlin Norris and a decision win against James Broad rounds out his resume and that's it for wins against respectable ranked fighters in an 18 year 58 fight career.

Tucker's resume doesn't suggest that he should be rated anywhere other than where he should be. Nothing more than a decent 80's era heavyweight.
        Last edited by SABBATH; 04-28-2006, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SABBATH
          I'll grant that Tucker was a decent 80's heavyweight, however calling him a "damn fine very underrated fighter" is a stretch.

Tucker's record is padded and littered with nobodies and trial horses. His most notable win against a ranked fighter was the Douglas fight which was even on the scorecards at the time of the stoppage, a dubious Douglas performance that labelled Douglas a quitter. This was Tucker's only stoppage win against a ranked fighter. Split decision wins over Oliver McCall and Orlin Norris and a decision win against James Broad rounds out his resume and that's it for wins against respectable ranked fighters in an 18 year 58 fight career.

Tucker's resume doesn't suggest that he should be rated anywhere other than where he should be. Nothing more than a decent 80's era heavyweight.
          I could see Tucker beating someone like Bonecrusher Smith and Pinklon Thomas had the chance arose.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite76
            I could see Tucker beating someone like Bonecrusher Smith and Pinklon Thomas had the chance arose.
            I agree. There were plenty of those types of guys around. It's too bad he didn't fight more of them. We would have had a better gauge of Tucker's abilities.

Comment

Close your boxrec page. How many times did you see him fight? He sure as hell was a great fighter and very underrated.

Comment

I saw Tucker fight....he's the closest thing to Joe Bugner the '80's and '90's had.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaman
                  Close your boxrec page. How many times did you see him fight? He sure as hell was a great fighter and very underrated.
                  I saw Tucker fight many times and he never dominated any top 10 contender. I watched the Douglas fight live and the fight was even and up for grabs when Douglas essentially quit.

Tucker competed in the same era and could have challenged such competition as Pinklon Thomas, Carl Williams, Tim Witherspoon, Tony Tubbs, Trevor Berbick, David Bey, James Smith, Frank Bruno, Razor Ruddock etc...the list goes on and on and he fought none of them much less beat any of them.

Tucker was essentially another boring tall 80's heavyweight with a decent jab and a solid chin who never showed any true KO power against top tier competition.

How the hell does this qualify him as great?
                  Last edited by SABBATH; 04-30-2006, 10:46 PM.

Comment

I watched the Douglas fight
                    Well, I feel sorry for you then, because if you watched the Tucker/Douglas fight live as it happened then odds are very good that you, like me, were subjected to the painful sight of watching Greg Page and James Broad huffing & puffing their way through ten rounds under the hot Las Vegas sun...

****, wasn't Tony Tubbs also fighting under the hot sun on that card, as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi
                      Well, I feel sorry for you then, because if you watched the Tucker/Douglas fight live as it happened then odds are very good that you, like me, were subjected to the painful sight of watching Greg Page and James Broad huffing & puffing their way through ten rounds under the hot Las Vegas sun...

****, wasn't Tony Tubbs also fighting under the hot sun on that card, as well?
                      Remember those cards? I miss those old 80's Don King promoted Las Vegas heavyweight promotions. Usually featured 6 underachieving Ali wannabe retreads squaring off in a showdown leading up to a title fight for either a splinter WBA or WBC belt. The sun was alway bright and hot when the cards started and dark as the main event was about to start. I'm getting weepy and nostalgic just thinking about it.

Comment

Working...
                      X