Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980's Tony tucker article. 26-0.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to take anything from Buster, but I remember reading something to the effect that Tucker wasn't at his best for this fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaman
      Tucker is also the proof that 86/88 Tyson would've beaten Douglass because Tyson beat Tucker and Tucker beat Douglass.
      That doesn't prove anything, Yaman, and considering all that Tucker was dealing with entering the Tyson fight (a well publicized drug problem that soon cost him a couple of years of boxing, well publicized and confusing managerial & promotional problems, the fact that he was in court the night before facing Tyson, etc., etc.) I think it would be hypocritical of you Tyson fans to not take all that stuff into consideration...You know, since all of you guys are so quick to excuse Tyson's loss against Douglas.

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi
        That doesn't prove anything, Yaman, and considering all that Tucker was dealing with entering the Tyson fight (a well publicized drug problem that soon cost him a couple of years of boxing, well publicized and confusing managerial & promotional problems, the fact that he was in court the night before facing Tyson, etc., etc.) I think it would be hypocritical of you Tyson fans to not take all that stuff into consideration...You know, since all of you guys are so quick to excuse Tyson's loss against Douglas.
        Tyson looked horrible against Douglass.

Tucker looked like the prime Tucker he was against Tyson.

Thats a fact. What do you have to say against that?

Comment

Tyson looked horrible against Douglass.

Tucker looked like the prime Tucker he was against Tyson.

Thats a fact. What do you have to say against that?
          What do I have to say against that?

Well, seeing as how you used the word "looked" in both of your comparisions, I would say that your "facts" are not such, but instead are yor own personal opinions and hypocritical ones at that...

The "fact" is Tucker had a well publicized drug problem around that time, which cost him a couple of years of pro boxing. The "fact" is Tucker had a well publicized and documented managerial & promotional problems (you can find specifics on that by doing some reading/research and you'll see that those problems were most prevailant in July of 87...JUST before the fight). The "fact" is Tucker was in court on the eve of his fight with Tyson, in a dispute with a former manager, Dennis Rappaport.

Comment

to me the tuck fight was one of the greatest fights i have personally ever seen. the stamina those two guys had that night was incredible to be moving like that. if that fight happened in 06 we would be callin it 1 of the greatest of all time.jus sit back and watch the fight again and u will see all the work they put in that fight

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi
              What do I have to say against that?

Well, seeing as how you used the word "looked" in both of your comparisions, I would say that your "facts" are not such, but instead are yor own personal opinions and hypocritical ones at that...

The "fact" is Tucker had a well publicized drug problem around that time, which cost him a couple of years of pro boxing. The "fact" is Tucker had a well publicized and documented managerial & promotional problems (you can find specifics on that by doing some reading/research and you'll see that those problems were most prevailant in July of 87...JUST before the fight). The "fact" is Tucker was in court on the eve of his fight with Tyson, in a dispute with a former manager, Dennis Rappaport.
              Not to be dissrespectfull but i think i'll whipe my ass with those ''facts''. Sometimes problems before the fight can have effect(like Tyson-Douglass) sometimes not at all because i did NOT see an overweight Tucker. I did not see a slow Tucker, i did not see a Tucker that wasn't the unbeaten Tucker of the 80s. When i look at tyson's performance against Douglass, i see a horrible performance unlike Tucker who fought Tyson.

One other thing, Douglass' mother died before he would fight Tyson. Thats not a good thing that happened, but did that effect him? No.

Comment

Tucker is also the proof that 86/88 Tyson would've beaten Douglass because Tyson beat Tucker and Tucker beat Douglass.
                Junior Jones beat Barrera, Barrera beat Morales, Morales beat Junior Jones...

Styles make fights man you should know that

Comment

Not to be dissrespectfull but i think i'll whipe my ass with those ''facts''. Sometimes problems before the fight can have effect(like Tyson-Douglass) sometimes not at all because i did NOT see an overweight Tucker. I did not see a slow Tucker, i did not see a Tucker that wasn't the unbeaten Tucker of the 80s. When i look at tyson's performance against Douglass, i see a horrible performance unlike Tucker who fought Tyson.

One other thing, Douglass' mother died before he would fight Tyson. Thats not a good thing that happened, but did that effect him? No.
                  You can wipe your ass with those facts all you want, and I wouldn't blame you for doing so. But then again, I'll do the same with the amount of excuses you Tyson fanboys come up with in regards to the ****kicking he took at the hands of Douglas because, for the life of me, I can not see ANYTHING from Tyson that came before that fight to illustrate that he'd ever beat Douglas on that night (certainly not from the fight with Tucker, who, after a good effort in the opening rounds, basically spent the last half of the fight with Tyson only looking to survive the full distance..."[Tucker] stopped fighting after the fifth round. After that he was just in there to survive" - Mike Tyson)...

What's he going to do different?

To steal a few of your lines...I did not see a slow Tyson in there against Douglas, as his punches & reflexes looked as quick as they ever did. I did not see an overweight Tyson in that fight (Douglas may have been in good condition for him, but it was still his **** that were bouncing up and down in the ring on that night...not Tyson's, who physically looked VERY similiar to what he did against Spinks, Tubbs, etc.). Nor did I see a version of Tyson that wasn't the unbeaten version of himself of the 80's, because he came out and started that fight like he always did, and contrary to popular opinion, he DID start the Douglas fight out by using his normal & quick head movement over the first part of the fight...The BIG difference in that fight was Douglas' performance in it, as he stuck to the gameplan laid out before him (jab, movement, clinching, uppercuts, etc.) and punished Tyson most times Mike got within his punching range (if Douglas wasn't getting off first during the exchanges, he was getting off last and knocking Tyson off of him).

But whatever...you're going to try to come up with some excuse(s) to try to save the idea of Tyson that you have in your mind, which is typical of you Tyson fanboys (at the same time you fanboys and the boxing media quite often point to his fight against Spinks as some kind of peak performance of his, which is funny considering how quick you guys are to excuse/blame the loss to Douglas on outside distractions or whatever)...But to me, the ONLY reason Tyson lost that fight to Douglas on that night was because of Buster Douglas himself, who fought the fight of his life.
                  Last edited by Yogi; 04-23-2006, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Well, this thread is about Tony Tucker, not about Tyson vs Douglass. I already prooved my point a few posts above and i am right. If you think that was the Tyson that Rooney trained, you either didn't see the fight for years(I've seen it like 40 times in my life) or just making **** up because everybody knows Tyson was not ready to fight Douglass.

Now, don't make another redicilous post about this. There are threads about this. Search em.

Comment

tony tucker was a good fighter but did anyone else think- seeing the tyson fight- that he was trying to copy ali WAYYYY to much

Comment

Working...
                      X