No announcement yet.

1980's Tony tucker article. 26-0.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980's Tony tucker article. 26-0.

When Tony Tucker was 26 wins with 0 losses there was an excellent article about him in boxing magazine. The article discussed his career and how his dad was choosing his opponents and how his career was going good. It described his dad as a stage mother in acting. It also had pictures of him posing and if I recall correclt was really his first big article about his pro career in any major boxing magazines...... There were also some action shots of him in the article, it was a full 2 pages, perhsps three........ It came out at some point in 1984, can anyone tell me what boxing magazine and what month and year. Anyone who collects old boxing magazines may have the issue. Any help is apprecaiited..........

Was this article featuring several heavyweights ( including Mitchell Green ), and was it the one where Tony was posing with two girls?

Comment

Tony Tucker was a major speciman and talent. Unfortunately he was not ready for young Tyson and suffered mightily. His old man ran off with all his money and all his confidence and security. Terrible story. He never really recovered his top form and is likely very poor now instead of retiring as a millionaire.

Comment

he may have beeb posing with two girls, i dont recall it came out in 1984 or so after he was 26 wins with 0 losses any idea what mag.......

Comment

Originally posted by waldorf
          he may have beeb posing with two girls, i dont recall it came out in 1984 or so after he was 26 wins with 0 losses any idea what mag.......
          I think I know the magazine name, but have to double check.Will get back to you when I find it.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonRingRules
            Tony Tucker was a major speciman and talent. Unfortunately he was not ready for young Tyson and suffered mightily. His old man ran off with all his money and all his confidence and security. Terrible story. He never really recovered his top form and is likely very poor now instead of retiring as a millionaire.
            I also felt that him missing 15 months due to a knee injury hurt his career mightily, he should've been a major player by the end of '83 or beginning of 84.

Comment

Tucker-Douglas

I remember watching the Tony Tucker vs. James "Buster" Douglas fight. Douglas had a superior jab and was winning a lot of the early rounds, but tired and Tucker came back to stop him.

http://boxrec.com/show_display.php?show_id=746

Both men were in very good shape for the fight, and many thought that Douglas was close to through as a contender when he lost. Tucker got his title shot with Tyson for winning his fight with Douglas. I remember that Tucker was a bit slow but durable, had a decent jab but wasn't a really big puncher. Tyson was able to outjab Tucker in spite of a deficit in reach of around 11"! I'm of the opinion that this was Tyson's most disciplined fight, one in which he used his jab, showed good overall boxing skill and was patient and controlled.

Comment

Tucker is one of the most underrated Hw's ever. He is the most skilled fighter Tyson ever beat. Tucker was unbeaten untill he met Tyson and lost for the second time in his career against Lennox Lewis. but i do not believe he was the same fighter against Lewis. He was stopped for the first time in his career when he was 37, wich is when he was CLEARLY past his prime and the stoppage was on CUTS. He lost speed, relfexes etc. Thats what he relied on early in his career. He was KO'd for the first time in his career when he was almost 40 years old(39 to be exact). Dont have to tell you he was past his prime.

Tucker is also the proof that 86/88 Tyson would've beaten Douglass because Tyson beat Tucker and Tucker beat Douglass.

Comment

i think he's rated maybe a little less then he should but Buster himself is the most underrated HV ever

Comment

Originally posted by darrenshyrockford
                    i think he's rated maybe a little less then he should but Buster himself is the most underrated HV ever
                    Buster COULD have been rated very high if he dedicated himself for his fights. The guy had no heart troughout his career except for 1 time. Against Tyson. We've only seen the best of Douglass against Tucker and Tyson, but Tucker was better because he proved it when he beat the best version of Douglass.

Comment

Working...
                    X