May have been a little harsh, but he's not that good is he

Comment

• Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
      May have been a little harsh, but he's not that good is he
      Why do you think "He's not that good?"

I would like to see your explanation.

Comment

• Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
        97 pernell would not have beaten Canelo.I say that with confidence. That version might not have beaten a lot of Mayweather's opponents.

You're just rewriting history and making things up. If Whitaker of that time was struggling with Hurtado and Riviera, it ridiculous for you to say he would have beaten anybody Mayweather fought.

That's all that needs to be said.

The fact that you claimed Calzaghe beat a "prime" Hopkins and threw Lacy(who sucked) in there too kills your credibility on this topic.
        Im not saying that pernell would whitewash canelo like floyd did, but he would beat him, Yes pernel wasnt the pernell of 89,90, but he still hadnt had a legit loss, and in a big fight with a prime de la hoya, many felt whittaker deserved the decision,,

And what am i making up????

I never said hopkins was prime when he fought calzaghe, i clearly stated he fought and beat prime undefeated lacy, and kessler AND hopkins,, Sorry if i didnt make it clear, and you thought i was saying it was prime hopkins, i was only meaning lacy and kessler, and that he beat hopkins, wasnt trying to lump hopkins in as prime undefeated,, sorry about the confusion

Lacy was the betting favorite,, everyone thought joe was scared, he was ducking lacy, kept pulling out with hand injuries, etc,,,,
        Now revisionist history tells us that lacy sucked, but at the time, it was a legit win, and no doubt in my mind that Calzaghe ruined lacy. I agree that lacy was a very limited fighter to begin with, but he was the betting favorite and many people thought he would ko joe in a few rounds,, Then joe put on a classic brutal buttwhipping on lacy and basically ruined him for good..
        What happens when canelo gets schooled by molina and lara, and ko'd by serg or ggg,,, Will you say he sucks like lacy, and take away credit for floyds win vs him,,, I wouldnt..
        When comparing fights, you have to look at WHEN they fought,,, Lacy was considered a beast when joe fought him,, Same thing with canelo, even though canelo never really had any impressive dominant wins, he was hyped as a future great, and people like yourself believe it,,,
        Canelo couldnt even dominately defeated hatton, rhodes, trout, old shane, etc but you think he beats pernel that fought oscar, Thats just not realistic,,

PLEASE TELL ME CANELO'S GREAT DOMINANT PERFORMANCES THAT LEAD YOU TO BELIEVE HE IS A FUTURE GREAT???? Is it the time he beat up a blown-up 140 fighter and knocked him down a bunch of times, or was it when he beat up punching bags like faded baldomir and cintron,,, Are those the great performances that made you think canelo was great...

Im sorry but its not my fault you fell for the canelo hype hook, line and sinker

And i will stand by my claim that the pernel that fought oscar would beat everyone on floyd's resume.....

Floyd is extemely skilled no doubt, but people put him on this throne because he is undefeated when many fighters could go thru his career and be undefeated,,, pernell and oscar being 2 of them

Floyd's resume is not indicative of his skills,,, Dont get me wrong he has some solid wins and earned his p4p #1 status, but when comparing him to other great fighters, his resume sucks

Comment

Why do you think "He's not that good?"

I would like to see your explanation.
          what makes you think he is good,,,

was it beating washed up never has beens like baldomir and cintron,,

or was it when he struggled with hatton and rhodes,,

or was it when he took and old shane the distance in a snoozer

was it when he beat up 140 fighters like lopez

or was it when he lost damn near every round to floyd

or was it when he gassed and went split decision with trout,,,

Which one of those performances scream FUTURE GREAT

Face it, you bought the canelo hype hook, line and sinker,,

Canelo is a decent fighter, but to put it into perspective fernando vargas was a young champ and hyped up,, and he would have destroyed old shane, hatton, rhodes, trout, etc

Canelo is fun to watch, but in no way does he seem like a future great,,
          He has good skills, but i have been saying for a few years now that he is just like lucian bute,, will be a champ, can beat the miranda's of the world but when stepping up vs an elite guy like froch or floyd,,, they get exposed badly.
          Hell vargas looked better vs tito and oscar, than canelo did vs old shane

What has convinced you that he is a great fighter

Comment

• Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
            Both. Actually truth be told the Klits don't have to duck anybody do they? being the state of the division and all I think their image is handled and media induced through their management. I also do not think that either guy looks around and takes a challenge from a hot prospect the fans might want to see. Lewis got a lot of flack for safety first, but Lewis often went out of his way to fight the guys the public demanded....Briggs, Golata, to name a few...Lets also remember that Lewis took the Vitali fight on a lark, he was supposed to fight a nobody (Kirk Douglas). The Klits are not exactly looking to do the same are they? why not fight Dontey Wilder of Furey? Because people want to see it. Bronte would rather sell us some pathetic safe win like Povatkin....sure right, he is the mandatory after all.....Seriously though, guys like Evander would laugh give the belt to Povatkin and fight throughthe real challenges. See the difference?

Thats my take on the situation
            I'm not understanding what Klitschko can do to satisfy you. He fights all his mandatories, and the only people who call them out are Toney and Holyfield, who are broke and just looking for a payday. Povetkin was undefeated and a mandatory challenger. Nobody had a problem with that fight being made before it stunk.

Wilder has never beaten anyone nearly as good as Wladimir's worst title opponent, and that is saying something. There is no way that he is prepared to make that big of a step now, and his people know it. Fury will get his shot for certain if he beats Haye. Based on what he has done so far he is just another contender. Until recently Fury was like Wilder, like in not challenging Klitschko during interviews.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
              I'm not understanding what Klitschko can do to satisfy you. He fights all his mandatories, and the only people who call them out are Toney and Holyfield, who are broke and just looking for a payday. Povetkin was undefeated and a mandatory challenger. Nobody had a problem with that fight being made before it stunk.

Wilder has never beaten anyone nearly as good as Wladimir's worst title opponent, and that is saying something. There is no way that he is prepared to make that big of a step now, and his people know it. Fury will get his shot for certain if he beats Haye. Based on what he has done so far he is just another contender. Until recently Fury was like Wilder, like in not challenging Klitschko during interviews.
              I gotta agree with you,,, good post

Comment

• Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                very astute breakdown of the vulnerablities of the shoulder roll
                Watching that fight between Toney and Jones broke my heart.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post

Its not always a question of determining "who you think is ready or not" its about, at times, what the freakin fans want....You know the people who think Wilder is exciting, that Haye could use another go, that Fury should have his mouth shut. And don't buy the BS that these guys do not want to fight the Klitschkos....BS BS BS....Bronte makes the contract impossible and then says that the other side was unreasonable.

Lewis fought guys who were cowboys for the fans....Morrison....remember the Grant fight? Grant had no business being in the ring but he was a risk to some so Lewis took him on. Why not give Holyfield a shot? He is a lot more dangerous than Povatkin.

The mandatory is not obligatory either. The Klits have never took a risk for the sake of the fans, and always make it appear that they were willing when they are full of it.

The Klits do what they absolutely have to....and make it seem like they are risking it. In this sense let me quote the immortal Hollyfield who upon being chastised for the first Lewis decision (for good reason I may add) said something very intelligent: "Hey Lewis had an opportunity to take it out of the judges hands and he didn't take it, thats on him. he could have tried for the KO." See playing it safe sometimes does not cut the mustard. Dry humping Povatkin for example.
                  Last edited by billeau2; 11-16-2013, 09:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                    Dry humping Povatkin for example.
                    Are you sure it was dry? :thinking9:

Comment

It's like with Wladimer Klitschko. I can see what he does in the ring that makes him great. The competition is weaker than other era's but it doesn't change what he is doing.
                      very true. of course Floyd has done it without ever losing or being knocked out and has beaten very good opposition,,,so he should be ranked much higher,,,but just how high is difficult to say. he is immensely talented for sure

Comment

Working...
                      X