Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where Does Mike Tyson Rank As An ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't really disagree with you about Tyson's resume. He has many great wins over good opponents, instead of many good wins over great opponents. But I do give him points for the Holmes win because of the manner in which he beat him, since only Tyson KO'd him and it's still an old albeit ATG HW. And although Spinks is a LHW, Tyson himself is a very small HW even at that time and again, nobody had even beaten Spinks yet let alone threw him to the trash within a minute and a half.

Holmes also has a rather weak resume but he has many years of consistency so that places him above Tyson. Tyson's resume was both short and weak compared to other ATG's, but he gets a solid spot due to being the youngest champ ever, unifying the titles and having such a big impact on the sport.

Comment

• Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
      berbick!! yeah thats the one! Yeah a lot of those 80's heavies fought similar and looked similar.
      Possibly racist? Jmo....

Comment

• Originally posted by One more round View Post
        Possibly racist? Jmo....
        I don't know why you would think that unless to your way of thinking skin color is the only way people can look similar. There is a post just above that basically describes a way that these guys are very similar.

Comment

berbick!! yeah thats the one! Yeah a lot of those 80's heavies fought similar and looked similar.
          Did u hear about what happened to Berbick a few years back? His nephew murdered him with a Machette!!! Brutal....

Guy sounded wild himself. I love Berbick simply for "LARRY HOLMES ASSULTED ME!" followed up by Holmes diving off a car roof to get him lol

Berbick was decent himself though no great, the comedy manner in which he lost to Tyson and probably the fact he was the last man to beat Ali don't help him to be remembered well....

Comment

• You can also take into consideration other factors such as the popularity/notoriety he accumulated and that he was one of the most popular fighters of the 90's. His resume isn't that impressive, but he had all the tools and would have done more had his life outside the ring not been as chaotic as it was. He was a big waste of potential, frankly. H2H, I see him annihilating almost any fighter in history during his mid to late 80's prime.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Weltschmerz- View Post
              You can also take into consideration other factors such as the popularity/notoriety he accumulated and that he was one of the most popular fighters of the 90's. His resume isn't that impressive, but he had all the tools and would have done more had his life outside the ring not been as chaotic as it was. He was a big waste of potential, frankly. H2H, I see him annihilating almost any fighter in history during his mid to late 80's prime.
              Is that a young ***in Columbo!??

Comment

Unfortunately his resume does suck. I have tried to argue that Ruddock was substantial....He was viewed that way at the time....But we all know Bowe was better. Tyson fought Lewis and Holyfield but he was already gone and didn't really even compete. Bruno Mathis and I would add Page, are good when compared to the klit brothers maybe, but don't hold water to most ATG's.

I happen to think Tyson has the goods and hold to the argument that if you watched him and were part of the buzz at the time....You know how good he was, But trying to massage Mike's resume is truly blowing smoke up the ass!
                I'm not massaging his resume, its good but not great, far better than the klits but lacking when compared to ali, foreman and holyfield. In terms of the eye test, there is no denying, a prime tyson was a beast and could ko many a champion with his speed, power and slick defense which is often underrated.

Comment

• I don’t know if this post was aimed towards me in particular, but I’ll reply anyway.

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                  Lower end of a top 50, without a shadow of a doubt. I personally placed him number 45 on my list: http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=608842
                  Kudos for compiling a Top 50, but to act as Tyson is some kind of lock is just laughable - especially when Harada, LMR, Spinks, Gavilan, Carlos Ortiz, and Saldivar are nowhere to be seen.

Some of your inclusions and placements are cringeworthy in my opinion, but lists are subjective and nigh on impossible to agree upon past a certain point.

Anyway, that's a different thread and a different discussion...

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                  He was the most dominant heavyweight of the 1980s and beat every worthy challenger and titlist, that is until Douglas wrecked him, but to be honest, Tyson was too far gone psychologically, he thought Buster would be a walk over, he didn't prepare himself for a man on a mission. A man who had promised his dying mother the heavyweight championship of the world. A man like that needs dynamite to be defeated and Tyson no longer had that.

His comeback in the 90s was mixed, he beat guys who were worthy contenders but not quite elite level and lost to the guys who were, namely Holyfield and Lennox. The latter came at a time when Tyson was all but done so I don't look into that fight too much. Yet he still managed to hold a tonne of KO victories over decent guys throughout the 90s, some stand out names being: Bruno, Ruddock, Mathis, Seldon and Botha.

People denying Tyson ATG status are ridiculous and know little about the sport.
                  First of all, I could counter your comment quickly with those who rank Walker over Greb or Lewis over Harada is even more ridiculous and knows even less about the sport.

Secondly, I haven't denied, nor have I seen anyone else deny that Mike was a fantastic fighter and one of the best heavyweights of all-time.

What puts me off a bit - and maybe some others, I don’t know - is the kind of smugness you display, coupled with the fact that you’ve so incredibly difficult to remain objective as soon as one of your faves’ is brought up - which I presume Tyson is.

Comment

• Originally posted by greeh View Post
                    I don’t know if this post was aimed towards me in particular, but I’ll reply anyway.

Kudos for compiling a Top 50, but to act as Tyson is some kind of lock is just laughable - especially when Harada, LMR, Spinks, Gavilan, Carlos Ortiz, and Saldivar are nowhere to be seen.

Some of your inclusions and placements are cringeworthy in my opinion, but lists are subjective and nigh on impossible to agree upon past a certain point.

Anyway, that's a different thread and a different discussion...

First of all, I could counter your comment quickly with those who rank Walker over Greb or Lewis over Harada is even more ridiculous and knows even less about the sport.

Secondly, I haven't denied, nor have I seen anyone else deny that Mike was a fantastic fighter and one of the best heavyweights of all-time.

What puts me off a bit - and maybe some others, I don’t know - is the kind of smugness you display, coupled with the fact that you’ve so incredibly difficult to remain objective as soon as one of your faves’ is brought up - which I presume Tyson is.
                    I guess you didn't like the way I ended my post lol but I stick by it, you can not deny Tyson's ATG status. But by you I do not mean just you, but it was a use of the general term. Personally, I'm not sure if you think he is ATG or not.

Tyson was a favourite no doubt but I rarely use that in any of my arguments, I'm using facts, undeniable facts:

He was the most purely destructive heavyweight of the 80s
                    He unified all the belts
                    He beat every worthy challenger and champion apart from Buster
                    His losses to Holyfield show us how great Holyfield was, even in 1996
                    His loss to Lewis and the entire fight was a farce
                    Tyson's run as champion is better and deeper than other guys that may be ranked as ATG heavies or ATG p4p

Comment

• Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
                      Did u hear about what happened to Berbick a few years back? His nephew murdered him with a Machette!!! Brutal....

Guy sounded wild himself. I love Berbick simply for "LARRY HOLMES ASSULTED ME!" followed up by Holmes diving off a car roof to get him lol

Berbick was decent himself though no great, the comedy manner in which he lost to Tyson and probably the fact he was the last man to beat Ali don't help him to be remembered well....
                      LOL that Holmes incident was off the charts funny! larry flying through the air Berbick so nonchalent.

Comment

Working...
                      X