Where Does Mike Tyson Rank As An ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TysonBomb View Post
    As usual you prove you don't know anything

Schmeling was at the end of his career and had already been a pro for over 12 years. A 192 lb washed up former champion gave Louis the beating of his life and KOed him. It was full of Louis hitting the canvas and being KD, proving how great his "chin" was.

Tyson didn't care much after beating Spinks and started to coast. He even considered retirement after the Spinks fight ... and if he did retire his legacy would've easily been greater than Joe Louis's. Tyson is better than Louis in every conceivable facet of the sport. He also never lost in his prime, like Joe Louis.

Tyson was KOed by Williams after he blew out his knee in the first round ... and he still fought on like a lion for 3 more rounds. He took an excess of 20 punches before finally falling from injury and exhaustion while Louis was punches through the ropes likes a rag doll by a 184 lb crusier.

As usual you prove to be one of the worst Tyson Fanboys in the history of boxing message boards.

So Schmelling was 30 and had fought 12 years. I'm sure Hopkins and Marquez are just shaking their heads at such a long career, lol. You call him washed up yet was coming of three straight wins over top contenders and the only heavyweight rated ahead of Max was Joe Louis. Sorry junior, but it is worse to take a beating from Buster Douglas than from Max Schmelling.

Only an idiot would believe Tyson almost retired after the Spinks fight. And if we talk about their last fights, Louis lost to future HOF champion Rocky Marciano. Tyson (at a younger age) quit like a dog against obscure handpicked clubfighter Kevin McBride. But being a drooling fanboy you won't recognize the difference and point out that McBride weighed so much more than Marciano. That's why you're a joke on this board.

Tyson lost when he was 24, but never in his prime? If his prime ended at 24 then he was more of a flash in the pan that an all time great.
    Last edited by Scott9945; 01-19-2013, 11:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      As usual you prove to be one of the worst Tyson Fanboys in the history of boxing message boards.

So Schmelling was 30 and had fought 12 years. I'm sure Hopkins and Marquez are just shaking their heads at such a long career, lol. You call him washed up yet was coming of three straight wins over top contenders and the only heavyweight rated ahead of Max was Joe Louis. Sorry junior, but it is worse to take a beating from Buster Douglas than from Max Schmelling.

Only an idiot would believe Tyson almost retired after the Spinks fight. And if we talk about their last fights, Louis lost to future HOF champion Rocky Marciano. Tyson (at a younger age) quit like a dog against obscure handpicked clubfighter Kevin McBride. But being a drooling fanboy you won't recognize the difference point out that McBride weighed so much more than Marciano. That's why you're a joke on this board.

Tyson lost when he was 24, but never in his prime? If his prime ended at 24 then he was more of a flash in the pan that an all time great.
      I always liked Tyson and hold him in pretty high regard but this scathing rebuttal is spot on. Let it also be said that at the time Louis was seen as the fastest (hand speed) heavyweight ever and is still regarded as one of the fastest even today. I challenge anyone to name 7 heavyweights who were faster. Personally id say only Ali, Patterson, Tyson and Holmes. Not to shabby some 70 years later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post

Only an idiot would believe Tyson almost retired after the Spinks fight. And if we talk about their last fights, Louis lost to future HOF champion Rocky Marciano. Tyson (at a younger age) quit like a dog against obscure handpicked clubfighter Kevin McBride. But being a drooling fanboy you won't recognize the difference and point out that McBride weighed so much more than Marciano. That's why you're a joke on this board.

End thread: After that brutal demolition there's nothing more to add :allhail9:

Poet

Comment

• .........................The END!

Comment

Tyson was the youngest heavyweight champion ever to this day and was the first in nearly a decade to become the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world. His skills and ability were unmatched and he effectively cleaned out the division at the age of 21 after beating Spinks, the only guy left to fight. Within 3 years he became the biggest name in boxing. He's the only heavyweight to ever come out of incarceration for 4 years and win two titles.
            This^ - We have to remember that you can only be the best of your era. What he did in a period of boxing where it was dull, was amazing. He gave us some of the most thrilling, exciting, ferocious performances ever seen by a man in the ring. He is easily the most entertaining HW since Ali, and I stress, easily. When talking about Tyson, the question often arrives about his best fight. But people have to remember that in that particular era, spinks, berbick, holmes etc were considered the champions and he pretty much beat them all with ease. It would have been nice of him to beat Holyfield, but the Mike Tyson of 1996/1997 was incomparable to the Mike tyson of 1985-1989. He truly deserves his place in the TOP 10 ATG HW, not sure about top 3, if we go back all the way to the 20's and 30's, 40's, 60's etc. I would not put him in top 3. But somewhere around the bottom of top 10.

Comment

These people are morons. Tyson is better than Louis at everything. Louis was never known as a particularly fast heavyweight nor was he reputed for his chin and durability.

He was known for combination punching and accuracy, something that Tyson is also better at. Louis could throw good combos and was on target most of the time, but Tyson was throwing ungodly things at obscene speeds on target.
              regards to ATG though, louis is quite a bit higher. He got off the canvas to knock guys out, he was beaten clearly by schmelling and destroyed him in a rematch. Tyson dint have that. He could take a beating like a man but lacked the heart. but wot puts tyson up there as ive said before is he is the most exciting out of all of the great HWs(ali close second.) Why would a boxer whos not an ATG be put in the most wanted dream fight (ali, tyson.) Its stupid to say Tyson isnt. Personally I would have him at top 5-10.

Comment

• I don't know where Tyson as most exciting comes from, or entertaining. He was a certain thriller when he was on for the kill, but for excitement and entertainment I'll take the best of Holy just in that era. Dokes, Foreman, Cooper, the Bowe fights, Mercer, Tyson I, Moorer II. He was the most consistently entertaining Heavyweight since Joe Frazier. Tyson rolling bowling pin opp is good for short bursts, but I'll take great fights over highlight reels. Where Tyson compares to Ali, Dempsey, Louis etc. is in aura. he made everything BIGGER. He was a star.

Comment

• Originally posted by likeamulekick View Post
                  i understand that louis is a better atg than tyson but are ppl here arguing the fact that a weak chined, easy to hit, flat footed cruiserweight is gona destroy a fast, powerful, good chined 220 pound HW swarmer. Tyson took some mean uppercuts from ruddock and louis gets knocked down from a fat brawler from the pub tony galento. R.....Reeeeaallly?

This fat guy was landing lead left hooks against louis. sayin that tho i wouldnt say louis had a glass chin like wlad, louis recovered alot quicker

Tysons chin was really good. His later fights he basically quite if you watch them he could have gotten back up but didnt. Lewis beat the **** out of him basically from rounds 2 through 8 and it took a while to put him down.

Comment

• Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                    I don't know where Tyson as most exciting comes from, or entertaining. He was a certain thriller when he was on for the kill, but for excitement and entertainment I'll take the best of Holy just in that era. Dokes, Foreman, Cooper, the Bowe fights, Mercer, Tyson I, Moorer II. He was the most consistently entertaining Heavyweight since Joe Frazier. Tyson rolling bowling pin opp is good for short bursts, but I'll take great fights over highlight reels. Where Tyson compares to Ali, Dempsey, Louis etc. is in aura. he made everything BIGGER. He was a star.
                    Yeah, you're definitely a great and a star when you can attract people that aren't even fans of boxing, kind of like how Jimi Hendrix or Stevie Ray Vaughn used to attract fans that weren't even fans of rock or blues music.

Comment

• Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                      I don't know where Tyson as most exciting comes from, or entertaining. He was a certain thriller when he was on for the kill, but for excitement and entertainment I'll take the best of Holy just in that era. Dokes, Foreman, Cooper, the Bowe fights, Mercer, Tyson I, Moorer II. He was the most consistently entertaining Heavyweight since Joe Frazier. Tyson rolling bowling pin opp is good for short bursts, but I'll take great fights over highlight reels. Where Tyson compares to Ali, Dempsey, Louis etc. is in aura. he made everything BIGGER. He was a star.

I was just thinking the same same when I read that. Glad I scrolled down before I posted.

Comment

Working...
                      X