Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oliver McCall ... Best Chin Ever?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think he fought anyone who hit as hard as Foreman or Shavers or Frazier or Tyson. Plus all the names I posted, fought at a higher level and their chins stood the test. Outside of Lewis, who did Oliver fight that was on that level? Answer is no one. And honestly, there's nothing wrong being ranked in any way below those guys. McCall still probably has a top 10-15 chin, thats damn impressive.
    Lewis hits at least as hard as all of them (Frazier > Lewis ? what), all the names you posted were also knocked down multiple times in their career in situations where McCall wouldn't have been purely because of his chin and they all had a better defense then McCall. McCall would not be put down by Archie Moore, Bert Cooper, Toney, Frazier, Lyle, Henry Cooper etc.

You think any of the men you named could let Lewis hit them with right hands and not move an inch ?, because I could definitely see McCall taking all of the punches that they got hit by, that's the biggest showing of his chin but even as he got older 42+ he took huge punches and didn't budge.

And honestly, there's nothing wrong being ranked in any way below those guys. McCall still probably has a top 10-15 chin, thats damn impressive.
    Right but we're talking about McCall having the best chin and debating about it, if all threads were just people agreeing to something that simple it would be boring, imo McCall is at the very least top 5, I can't think of 10 people who have a better one.

I could see an argument for Tex Cobb or Chuvalo having a chin as good as McCall
    Last edited by NChristo; 11-06-2015, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Joe Grim.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Grim

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,3023230&hl=da
      Last edited by BattlingNelson; 11-06-2015, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
        Lewis hits at least as hard as all of them (Frazier > Lewis ? what), all the names you posted were also knocked down multiple times in their career in situations where McCall wouldn't have been purely because of his chin and they all had a better defense then McCall. McCall would not be put down by Archie Moore, Bert Cooper, Toney, Frazier, Lyle, Henry Cooper etc.

You think any of the men you named could let Lewis hit them with right hands and not move an inch ?, because I could definitely see McCall taking all of the punches that they got hit by, that's the biggest showing of his chin but even as he got older 42+ he took huge punches and didn't budge.

Right but we're talking about McCall having the best chin and debating about it, if all threads were just people agreeing to something that simple it would be boring, imo McCall is at the very least top 5, I can't think of 10 people who have a better one.

I could see an argument for Tex Cobb or Chuvalo having a chin as good as McCall
        Being Tysons sparring partner for hundreds of rounds when it was hard hitting sparring Tyson you need a great chin ,i can assure you Tyson hit McCall harder than Foreman hit Chuvalo ,head gear or not McCall was a 230 plus HW. On best chin ever ,i would go with 90's Foreman,he was never knocked down and stood in front of some huge punchers without blinking like Morrison ,Cooney and Cooper ,he was rocked by Holyfield sneaky left hook but he also ate 15 unanswered shots and just stood there.
        Last edited by juggernaut666; 11-06-2015, 06:40 AM.

Comment

I might rank Chuvalo above McCall since I don't think he was ever knocked down either.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
            I might rank Chuvalo above McCall since I don't think he was ever knocked down either.
            Chuvalo only fought one legit HW 220 pound puncher ,that was Foreman who would have dropped Chuvalo had the ref not stopped it. Holyfield fought a heavier handed Foreman for 12 rounds .

I think also judging by one fight performances ,Tyson took around 80 right hands from Lewis ,some were those A plus ones that put ppl to sleep automatically .

I dont see any evidence of Chuvalo having the best chin ,not remotley just based on Foreman battering him.
            Last edited by juggernaut666; 11-06-2015, 07:37 AM.

Comment

After the facts were brought to my attention recently, Oliver McCall does rate right up there with the Ross Puritty's and Marion Wilson's of the world in terms of chin...

But one other I really believe takes the cake over old Oliver..

Mariusz Wach!

There's a case for Oliver, as pointed out by a guy I forget recently, but I think there's enough clout now to suggest Wach has the hardest chin on Earth and ever by several punch classes.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                Chuvalo only fought one legit HW 220 pound puncher ,that was Foreman who would have dropped Chuvalo had the ref not stopped it. Holyfield fought a heavier handed Foreman for 12 rounds .

I think also judging by one fight performances ,Tyson took around 80 right hands from Lewis ,some were those A plus ones that put ppl to sleep automatically .

I dont see any evidence of Chuvalo having the best chin ,not remotley just based on Foreman battering him.
                The hardest chins of the 70's (Chuvalo, Ali, Foreman) would be glass jaws today. (Chuvalo would be considered a "decent" chin still).

The hardest puncher for real (Foreman) would be considered an average hitter today (one without any skill) and the 2 others (Liston and Shavers) would be considered "featherfists" like Chris Byrd.

These are irrefutable facts and anything in this thread to the contrary is handwavable in full as being "old time nut baggery" OTNB for short.

Comment

Good perspective on Mccall! I am glad this guy is getting some cred. Around the gym he was, according to many accounts, an alpha dog. Much like Michael Moorer, Mccall was a fighters fighter... the kind of guy you would rather have preparing you for a fight than having to fight.

Definitely one of the better beards. At some point it becomes a little silly to try to delineate between guys...But among those mentioned the later incarnation of Foreman is a another good one, Hagler, even Holyfield really.

heres my problem with Vitalie: I think based on his knees that Sanders caught him and he looked ready to go in the Lewis fight...meaning essentially that Lewis, not known for his beard, and Vitalie, known as a puncher, both caught each other many times, and imo Vitalie looked the worse for wear.

Ali definitely belongs...Its not so much that he has been down, but I would like to see any fighter get up from that Frazier hook.

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post
                    The hardest chins of the 70's (Chuvalo, Ali, Foreman) would be glass jaws today. (Chuvalo would be considered a "decent" chin still).

The hardest puncher for real (Foreman) would be considered an average hitter today (one without any skill) and the 2 others (Liston and Shavers) would be considered "featherfists" like Chris Byrd.

These are irrefutable facts and anything in this thread to the contrary is handwavable in full as being "old time nut baggery" OTNB for short.

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post

Wach/Foreman

Vitali

Mercer

McCall

Would off hand be my top 5 based on who took punches from who i would consider the strongest HW 's ....... i could arguably put Tyson in as well since he took Ruddocks best in two fights since i consider him a harder puncher than Foreman, based on that criteria it puts him over Ali and Holyfield, consistency also has to play a small part here....Ali would always have a good chin but Foreman didnt really land many clear punches on him in the first round alone he landed only 4 grazing right hands out of 20 .Ali /Holyfield /Holmes /Thomas could arguably fit after 5.
                      Last edited by juggernaut666; 11-06-2015, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X