Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it fair if Virgil Hill gets voted into the HOF but not Michalczewski?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oc9979 View Post
    By the time Hopkins became undisputed middleweight, Michalzewski was retired already.
    When Hopkins beat Felix Trinidad he was recognized as the undisputed champion in 2001. DM retired in 2003. So how is that possible?

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
      I've seen a few opinions on that. Some say Hill-Maske and/or Michalczewski-Hill was for the lineal title, meaning Erdei is the current champion. When Erdei went to CW for a fight some people considered it vacant and I think some now have Dawson as lineal champ.

Around the time Roy had most of the belts, The Ring decided that was enough to be the champion, and that's why some people considered Calzaghe the lineal champion (Jones-Tarver-Johnson-Tarver-Hopkins-Calzaghe).

I think Erdei should be considered the champion, but I can't recall the last time he beat a top 10 guy and I'm not sure if he ever beat a top 5 guy. Not much of a champion at all really but it's not for the media to strip someone. The media already give the alphabet belts too much attention, plus obsessing over stupid P4P rankings and awarding The Ring title, and they vote on who gets into the HOF.
      So, even though it's no longer completely objective, The Ring belt is the one to go by who the best is in a weight class? Yeah, I've heard that Dawson is lineal as well, I guess because he has the Ring light heavyweight title. Is there a completely objective ranking system left these days? So I guess you just go by who has the most belts in a weight class or who has the Ring belt?

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
        When Hopkins beat Felix Trinidad he was recognized as the undisputed champion in 2001. DM retired in 2003. So how is that possible?
        Wasn't Hopkins also considered lineal middleweight champion at that point, after getting Trinidad's Ring title belt?

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
          I've seen a few opinions on that. Some say Hill-Maske and/or Michalczewski-Hill was for the lineal title, meaning Erdei is the current champion. When Erdei went to CW for a fight some people considered it vacant and I think some now have Dawson as lineal champ.

Around the time Roy had most of the belts, The Ring decided that was enough to be the champion, and that's why some people considered Calzaghe the lineal champion (Jones-Tarver-Johnson-Tarver-Hopkins-Calzaghe).

I think Erdei should be considered the champion, but I can't recall the last time he beat a top 10 guy and I'm not sure if he ever beat a top 5 guy. Not much of a champion at all really but it's not for the media to strip someone. The media already give the alphabet belts too much attention, plus obsessing over stupid P4P rankings and awarding The Ring title, and they vote on who gets into the HOF.
          Hill-Maske is where the lineage restarts after years vacant. Hill left with two belts and a win over the WBC titlist in his second reign (Tiozzo). DM won it from him. There's a good case that DM and Roy ran about neck and neck until about 2000 when DM started to slip fast and went into maintain pay role.

The media didn't strip Erdei. He vacated the WBO belt (his only tangible link to the lineage absent the Ring belt) and moved up. That ended that lineage. Sure, he came back later, but so did Joe Gans and he had to beat Nelson to get his belt back at Lightweight.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
            Wasn't Hopkins also considered lineal middleweight champion at that point, after getting Trinidad's Ring title belt?
            From what I remember,yes.

Comment

From what I remember,yes.
              Hopkins-Tito was where the Middleweight lineage picks back up after being vacant from the end of the James Toney reign in 1992.

Comment

but he only had WBC,WBA, and IBF.
                Where is the WBO?

Comment

Where is the WBO?
                  The WBO was still struggling to get full recognition from U.S. outlets. Not that it mattered. Tito-Hopkins was 1-2 by a mile and there was no dispute about who the Middleweight Champ was after that fight.

Comment

Where is the WBO?
                    From what I remember the WBO title was vacant in 2001.

Comment

Armand Krajnc was the WBO champ

Comment

Working...
                      X