Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has There Ever Been Another David Reid Situation?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has There Ever Been Another David Reid Situation?

The kid was a great talent, but the eye injury shortened his career, and his camp was forced into big fights before he was ready perhaps. I think he was o.k. with said decisions as he also knew his time was limited.

Based on his skills alone, had the eye injury not happened, how do you think he would have fared, and has there ever been a similar situation for a good boxer before Reid?

I don't think Reid could have handled Tito bad eye or not. Reid was a good fighter though

Comment

Reid had no business being in the ring with Trinidad in the first place. He wasn't seasoned enough to beat a superstar fighter like Tito.

Comment

He was capable of beating Trinidad with the lid problem. He was up by a few points midway through their fight. He fell apart after Trinidad caught him with a sharp left hook. Had that not landed (or if Reid's right hurt Trinidad worse), the fight could've turned out differently--I can picture a scenario where Reid fades over the last few rounds but holds on for a decision.

The fight has recently been added to youtube btw.

Reid's chin and depression issues probably would've kept his career fairly short even if the lid held up.
        Last edited by Cardinal Buck; 07-03-2012, 11:36 AM.

Comment

One thing to remember Reid was only 14-0 when he was thrown in with the 36-0 Trinidad. He might not have been able to beat Trinidad even if he wasn't so inexperienced but we will never know. One thing for sure is that Reid was mismanaged.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
            One thing to remember Reid was only 14-0 when he was thrown in with the 36-0 Trinidad. He might not have been able to beat Trinidad even if he wasn't so inexperienced but we will never know. One thing for sure is that Reid was mismanaged.
            Bad eye or not, I think the Tito fight ruined him.

Comment

I've heard this before, but is it really true? He had a very limited time frame from what I recall, so he needed to be pushed faster than a normal fighter. I don't ever recall him complaining about it either, in fact I am pretty sure that I read that he needed to get as much money as quickly as possible due to his eye condition.

He was definitely rushed along, but I think the eye was the major reason for it, and I think he knew and agreed about it.

Comment

Many times, people get caught up in thinking that amateur experience counts as pro experience. I think this may have been the case in Reid's camp.
                As for his droopy eye, boo-hoo. Harry Greb fought for four years blind in one eye, and he wasn't the only one. Pete Herman, I think, from Louisiana, fought nearly 100% blind for several years. He went from being a slick boxer, to a guy that crowded in close, felt around for his opponent then punched. After he retired, he opened a club where girls danced without clothes, and his club was known for having extraordinarily beautiful women. It was said that this was the cruelest joke boxing (and life) ever played on anybody.

Comment

Dude, harsh enough...really???

The guy had a limited time frame, he was rushed, but the question remains, was he rushed unnecessarily, or was it a limited time frame to cash in, and was he in on that time frame.

I have read some articles/stories that he was deceived, and some where he was a part of the decision to rush and get paid so he would be set for life as he seemed to not be a stupid person in life after boxing. He sounds like a well enough educated dude who banked most of his earnings and knew he only had a certain amount of time, and the Tito fight was the big payday he couldn't pass over as it would set him up for life.

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
                    Many times, people get caught up in thinking that amateur experience counts as pro experience. I think this may have been the case in Reid's camp.
                    As for his droopy eye, boo-hoo. Harry Greb fought for four years blind in one eye, and he wasn't the only one. Pete Herman, I think, from Louisiana, fought nearly 100% blind for several years. He went from being a slick boxer, to a guy that crowded in close, felt around for his opponent then punched. After he retired, he opened a club where girls danced without clothes, and his club was known for having extraordinarily beautiful women. It was said that this was the cruelest joke boxing (and life) ever played on anybody.
                    classless. .

Comment

Working...
                    X