Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has There Ever Been Another David Reid Situation?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MasterODisaster View Post
    Dude, harsh enough...really???

The guy had a limited time frame, he was rushed, but the question remains, was he rushed unnecessarily, or was it a limited time frame to cash in, and was he in on that time frame.

I have read some articles/stories that he was deceived, and some where he was a part of the decision to rush and get paid so he would be set for life as he seemed to not be a stupid person in life after boxing. He sounds like a well enough educated dude who banked most of his earnings and knew he only had a certain amount of time, and the Tito fight was the big payday he couldn't pass over as it would set him up for life.
    He's getting by but living simple these days.

Comment

Sad man, I was hoping he'd have been set for life.

Comment

set up for life with what pay? he never made a ton of money bros. i know him and the whole team. ever hear of a philly fighter have tons of finances saved from boxing? maybe benard but i don't count him cause he don't even live in philly. sure he was rushed as was terrell biggs against tyson. we were after the next big thing. good in the amateurs/juniors but it doesn't translate to the pros, hardly ever. a nice gym fighter with a pro style. we all thought man he's even gonna be a better pro. forget about the eye stuff. it didn't hinder him because of his heart etc. there are many fighters with bad eyes, hearts, brains but never reported. his situation is good in comparison to others.

Comment

Alot of fighters were forced to retire with eye injuries. There was a time that a detached Retina ment you had to find annother line of work.

Comment

No offense, but if you made around 1 million or so in your entire boxing career, that should allow you to set yourself up to be successful in life unless you have some crazy demons. From what I had read, watched about Reid, the guy was not a moron, he was pretty intelligent and should have been successful in life based on the income he earned as a fighter. I hope that is the case at least, but we are all human after all.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterODisaster View Post
              No offense, but if you made around 1 million or so in your entire boxing career, that should allow you to set yourself up to be successful in life unless you have some crazy demons. From what I had read, watched about Reid, the guy was not a moron, he was pretty intelligent and should have been successful in life based on the income he earned as a fighter. I hope that is the case at least, but we are all human after all.
              No not really. Take out 10% for mangers fees, about 33% for taxes and you're under 600k already. Spend $300k on a new house, bills, travel expenses and everyday living and that money runs out real quick. That doesn't even include any obligations you may feel towards helping family and friends who helped you on the way up.. a million dollars really doesn't go that far without supplemental income.

Comment

^He made more than 1 million.

Comment

Here's the thread where I put up The Ring's latest article about him:
                  http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=552157

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
                    ^He made more than 1 million.
                    I know this. The point is people underestimate how far a boxers money will go. Without supplemental income most fighters will go broke in not to long a period once their career is over.
                    Last edited by JAB5239; 07-23-2012, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                      I know this. The point is people underestimate how far a boxers money will go. Without supplemental income most fighters will go broke in not to long a period once their career is over.

Whenever you hear what a fighter allegedly made, you have to remember that it is a gross and not a net figure. Like you mentioned previously, they have to pay advisors, trainers, sparring partners, sanctioning parasites, and of course taxes. By the time their true cut trickles down to them, it is just a fraction of the announced figure.

Comment

Working...
                      X