No announcement yet.

Carmen BASILIO Vs Floyd MAYWEATHER Jr

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
    Floyd's defense and boxing skills are just too good for anyone at 147 to have wiped the floor with him. But, I have no doubt Ray Robinson defeats him....

i think tommy hearns would give him the old scrub a dub dub

speed, size, an active jab, a good enough chin, and obviously the power

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      We just saw Cotto do a reasonably good job against Floyd and Basillo would be psuring Floyd simularly as Cotto did once in a while. The differences are that Cotto can't punch and he can't sustain an attack! Other than Pacman theres very few fighters that train to maintain a sustained attack on their opponents and Basillo would do just that for Mayweather. A huge difference is that the era of WW then was the best ever and to compete against that top ten was a huge task. They defeated one another at will and Mayweather would be a second division guy unless he showed a much higher competitive nature. Counter punching could only be a method used at an appropriate time. Trying to fight that style against those WW would get him in alot of trouble. Those men could punch harder than the fellows today because their power punching techniques were superior.
      I do think it could be a great fight because Carmen was not a big WW as to height and that might help Floyd abit but I doubt that Floyd could success inside because fighters today are more boxers than fighters and their time in the amatuer ranks works against them in fantasy fights against the likes of the men from the 20s up thru 60s.
      If it was fought back then I see Basillo winning on TKO, if it were fought now a days I see Basillo possibly getting haulted on cuts and abrasions but that meand Floyd has to fight and box!! Boxing then was a brutal battle because the men participating became that way. They fought often and hard or they wouldn't get on cards. It was a different business then and frankly the fellows today wouldn't have the same successes they have now if they fought then. Can you imagine Mayweather fighting 18 times a year for 3 or 4 years in a row? I can't! Plus a counter guy wouldn't get on cards then anyway, they were boring then just as they are now! Ray
      Of course not. His hands would be gone in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
        If Basilio can beat Robinson he could beat Floyd. It would be a close fight, I just don't think Floyd has the power to deter Carmen's aggression and volume.
        Basilio beat well past prime Robinson, and a totally different style than Mayweather.. Mayweather was better on defense and countering...I think it would be a close fight as well, but Mayweather would land the cleaner shots and more of them....Mayweather would probably win by 2-3 rounds in a fight he would for sure be brusied up in

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
          We just saw Cotto do a reasonably good job against Floyd and Basillo would be psuring Floyd simularly as Cotto did once in a while. The differences are that Cotto can't punch and he can't sustain an attack! Other than Pacman theres very few fighters that train to maintain a sustained attack on their opponents and Basillo would do just that for Mayweather. A huge difference is that the era of WW then was the best ever and to compete against that top ten was a huge task. They defeated one another at will and Mayweather would be a second division guy unless he showed a much higher competitive nature. Counter punching could only be a method used at an appropriate time. Trying to fight that style against those WW would get him in alot of trouble. Those men could punch harder than the fellows today because their power punching techniques were superior.
          I do think it could be a great fight because Carmen was not a big WW as to height and that might help Floyd abit but I doubt that Floyd could success inside because fighters today are more boxers than fighters and their time in the amatuer ranks works against them in fantasy fights against the likes of the men from the 20s up thru 60s.
          If it was fought back then I see Basillo winning on TKO, if it were fought now a days I see Basillo possibly getting haulted on cuts and abrasions but that meand Floyd has to fight and box!! Boxing then was a brutal battle because the men participating became that way. They fought often and hard or they wouldn't get on cards. It was a different business then and frankly the fellows today wouldn't have the same successes they have now if they fought then. Can you imagine Mayweather fighting 18 times a year for 3 or 4 years in a row? I can't! Plus a counter guy wouldn't get on cards then anyway, they were boring then just as they are now! Ray
          I give this post a rating of 95%, well done, in my view my money is on a Basilio victory by at least a TKO. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am happy to be here, this is my first post here on this forum and am looking forward to reading through these boxing history threads. I did a bit of boxing as an amateur lightweight in the 60's in Melbourne, was a fan of TV Ringside, and done a bit of seconding for others. I loved watching Aldo Pravasani, Tony Mundine (sr), and predicted that Lionel Rose would be a world champion and I was proved right, I also have a very high opinion of Johnny Famechon. As for the greats, I am a fan of Tony Zale, Rocky Marciano, Carmen Basilio and Sugar Ray Robinson, and Les Darcy. There are of course many others, including Floyd Patterson and Kostya Tszyu, I want to make very special mention of Willie Pep who is probably my all time favourite-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Willie_PEP View Post
            I give this post a rating of 95%, well done, in my view my money is on a Basilio victory by at least a TKO. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am happy to be here, this is my first post here on this forum and am looking forward to reading through these boxing history threads. I did a bit of boxing as an amateur lightweight in the 60's in Melbourne, was a fan of TV Ringside, and done a bit of seconding for others. I loved watching Aldo Pravasani, Tony Mundine (sr), and predicted that Lionel Rose would be a world champion and I was proved right, I also have a very high opinion of Johnny Famechon. As for the greats, I am a fan of Tony Zale, Rocky Marciano, Carmen Basilio and Sugar Ray Robinson, and Les Darcy. There are of course many others, including Floyd Patterson and Kostya Tszyu, I want to make very special mention of Willie Pep who is probably my all time favourite-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Thank you
            ^^^^

Alt?

Comment

Is this a joke? Floyd just got taken to hell by a mediocre past it Cotto.

Basillio would make Cotto into his wife. Basillio beat SRR. Mayweather's best win is arguably Corrales who was never that great himself.

Basillio absolutely demolishes Floyd.

Floyd ducked Margarito because he was a bigger harder chinned version of Castillo, who gave Floyd a nip/tuck fight.

Basillio is 10x better than Margarito.

What kind of history section is this???

Comment

Originally posted by Marston View Post
                Is this a joke? Floyd just got taken to hell by a mediocre past it Cotto.

Basillio would make Cotto into his wife. Basillio beat SRR. Mayweather's best win is arguably Corrales who was never that great himself.

Basillio absolutely demolishes Floyd.

Floyd ducked Margarito because he was a bigger harder chinned version of Castillo, who gave Floyd a nip/tuck fight.

Basillio is 10x better than Margarito.

What kind of history section is this???

Real students of boxing history recognize excellence when it is current. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but you come off as very arrogant and biased.

And Floyd wasn't taken to hell by Cotto. At least not to any objective observer.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                  Real students of boxing history recognize excellence when it is current. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but you come off as very arrogant and biased.

And Floyd wasn't taken to hell by Cotto. At least not to any objective observer.
                  I watched the fight thrice. I scored it a draw 2x. and 7-5 Floyd the last time.

You're a random guy on the internet and know nothing about me. But you seem awfully presumptuous.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post

n honestly, if he is bringing up the Cotto fight...check out some of the guys Basilio lost to....not as great a fighters as Mayweather....Basilo's claim to fame is beating a past prime Robinson and being the only guy to kd Gavilan....he lost to some decent fighters, Mayweather hasnt

Comment

Originally posted by Marston View Post
                      I watched the fight thrice. I scored it a draw 2x. and 7-5 Floyd the last time.

You're a random guy on the internet and know nothing about me. But you seem awfully presumptuous.
                      I dont know what you were watching but a jab dont get you a draw...Mayweasther threw more shots and landed more at a higher connect...scored it myself 9-3, 8-4 and giving Cotto the close rounds all he could muster was 7-5 loss...to eachs own

Comment

Working...
                      X