No announcement yet.

Carmen BASILIO Vs Floyd MAYWEATHER Jr

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
    too good for any 147 in the 21st century,, I dont think you realise just how good fighters were back then mate,, I think many great WW's wipe the floor with him,,, some of them even knock Floyd clean out.
    Compared to what Basilio faced,, Floyd has had it real easy.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
      Floyd's defense and boxing skills are just too good for anyone at 147 to have wiped the floor with him. But, I have no doubt Ray Robinson defeats him....
      Floyd probably does a lot better against LW's and JrWW's from earlier eras....... heres one WW I believe wipes Floyd out,, and in just a few rounds,,,, his name ?..... Thomas Hit Man Hearns.

Comment

too good for any 147 in the 21st century,, I dont think you realise just how good fighters were back then mate,, I think many great WW's wipe the floor with him,,, some of them even knock Floyd clean out.

While acknowledging the Basilio era was filled with tougher fighters/men, I don't believe any of them were so great that they could destroy Floyd Mayweather. He's simply too intelligent and focused on self-preservation (something I don't enjoy!) to be wrecked by anyone.

Comment

Floyd probably does a lot better against LW's and JrWW's from earlier eras....... heres one WW I believe wipes Floyd out,, and in just a few rounds,,,, his name ?..... Thomas Hit Man Hearns.
          I believe Hearns is his nightmare. Too much speed and sharpness coming from too far away. When Hearns boxed with other boxers he was very successful, and I don't think Floyd has the power, drive, or mindset Ray Leonard had to bust through and get to Hearns.

Comment

What did guys like Johnny Saxton do to beat Basilio?
            Doesn't matter. When assessing fantasy fights I use the best versions of the fighters being compared. At 147, at their absolute best, Basilio has the distinction of beating a bigger, better fighter than Floyd. It's not a stretch to think he would do it in this comparison. In a ten fight series I'd think it would be close. At their very best...I'll take Carmen by close but unanimous decision.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              Doesn't matter. When assessing fantasy fights I use the best versions of the fighters being compared. At 147, at their absolute best, Basilio has the distinction of beating a bigger, better fighter than Floyd. It's not a stretch to think he would do it in this comparison. In a ten fight series I'd think it would be close. At their very best...I'll take Carmen by close but unanimous decision.

While Ray Robinson was better than Floyd, he also was far more willing to slug with people and on that first night with Basilio he got outslugged. I don't think Floyd would ever give Basilio the same chances Ray would, it's just not in his makeup.

Comment

After a ten fight series with Carmen Basilio,, I concede that Floyd would be at least 3 tiomes better than he is now,, thats one of the main points I was getting at about Carmens era,, a guy like Basilio would actually teach Floyd stuff none of the guys he's met even thought of..... and yes,, Floyd is one of those fighters in THE Very Intelligent category,, I also rate Carmen as a very intelligent fighter.

Comment

While Ray Robinson was better than Floyd, he also was far more willing to slug with people and on that first night with Basilio he got outslugged. I don't think Floyd would ever give Basilio the same chances Ray would, it's just not in his makeup.
                  I can respect that opinion, I just don't think Floyd would throw often enough to get a decision. Apples and oranges.

Comment

Well you already hinted that Floyd is not in the "Very Exciting" class,, although he'd punch me in the face several times for saying it to his face,, as for Basilio,, even as an old man, I would never have said anything to his face except, "yes Mr. Basilio, indeed, Yes indeed,....... can I buy you another drink ?"

Comment

I can respect that opinion, I just don't think Floyd would throw often enough to get a decision. Apples and oranges.
                      well all I can say is this..... bananas

Comment

Working...
                      X