No announcement yet.

Idea for for new forum

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
    I understand the difference but then again I have a degree in English lol. The one that drives me nuts is "irregardless".....no, it's just "regardless". "Irregardless" is essentially a double-negative :chuckle9:

Poet
    The most common one is "anyways", which isn't actually a real word. And almost everyone uses it in daily conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
      This is just one of those sayings that most Americans will never get. I'm American and it's astounding how many people I hear say "I could care less." Drives me nuts and they just keep saying it no matter how many times I correct it.
      I HATE "I could care less." Drives me insane.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
        how do you know they arnt saying "i Could Careless"? as careless means to be carefree.
        What?

Wmute, yes, you were perfectly correct with your use of English. The ******ed use of 'I could care less' is just the typical American way of doing things ie. take something from somewhere else, flip it completely so it means the opposite, pretend it still means the same thing and then **** on people that say it's wrong.

Sully. It's I couldn't care less. Go ask an English literature professor or something if you still have doubts. But, just think about the actual use of the words. It's not hard to grasp.

I could care less. It means you can care less about something. There is no simpler way of explaining it. That just what it means. It's like someone arguing that the term "the sky is blue" doesn't actually mean the sky is blue, but really that the sky is yellow. Nonsensical.

You can't just take a word/phrase and argue that it means the opposite of what it does. Well, you can really, but you'd be wrong. Would you ever argue that the phrase 'I don't care' is wrong and that it really means 'I do care'? That's what you're doing.
        Last edited by BennyST; 05-18-2012, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
          Makes total sense, as they are both same thing.

Even though I know "I couldn't care less" is the proper way to let people know I'm not interested ....I don't get upset when someone else says "I could care less"- because I know what they mean.
          Unless someone specifically tries to argue that 'I could care less" is actually the correct term, then I couldn't care less where I see it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
            kinda, the reality is that the origins of the statement is "I could careless" here in the united states. as to be careless is to be free of cares. and to not be careless would to be full of cares.

the longer answer is that I could care Less means that you could care less and that I couldnt care less means that you couldnt care less.

similar to hot and cold "this room is hotter then the other". how hot are the rooms? you have no clue, one could be -99 and one could be -100.

its a way to convey that you care and where that caring is likely to head, whether you could care more or care less.

If you were trying trying to convey that you dont care at all, the most correct english would be "I Don't Care At All"
            No, it's not. The reality is that it's an ignorant, American specific debasement of simple English and a bastardisation of the original term 'I couldn't care less'.

"A bit of history first: the original expression, of course, was I couldn’t care less, meaning “it is impossible for me to have less interest or concern in this matter, since I am already utterly indifferent”. It is originally British. The first record of it in print I know of is in 1946, as the title of a book by Anthony Phelps, recording his experiences in Air Transport Auxiliary during World War II. By then it had clearly become sufficiently well known that he could rely on its being recognised. It seems to have reached the US some time in the 1950s and to have become popular in the latter part of that decade. The inverted form I could care less was coined in the US and is found only there. It may have begun to be used in the early 1960s, though it turns up in a written form only in 1966."

Some American dude argued that the US origin of the term might have come about initially by young kids using it sarcastically, similar to I should be so lucky! or Tell me about it. However, it's never used in that context so he's pretty clearly got that wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
              No, it's not. The reality is that it's an ignorant, American specific debasement of simple English and a bastardisation of the original term 'I couldn't care less'.

"A bit of history first: the original expression, of course, was I couldn’t care less, meaning “it is impossible for me to have less interest or concern in this matter, since I am already utterly indifferent”. It is originally British. The first record of it in print I know of is in 1946, as the title of a book by Anthony Phelps, recording his experiences in Air Transport Auxiliary during World War II. By then it had clearly become sufficiently well known that he could rely on its being recognised. It seems to have reached the US some time in the 1950s and to have become popular in the latter part of that decade. The inverted form I could care less was coined in the US and is found only there. It may have begun to be used in the early 1960s, though it turns up in a written form only in 1966."

Some American dude argued that the US origin of the term might have come about initially by young kids using it sarcastically, similar to I should be so lucky! or Tell me about it. However, it's never used in that context so he's pretty clearly got that wrong.

i couldn't care less about that as i have very stong feelings on the topic and nothing you say will change my mind.

Comment

its surprissing all these genius's ready to correct people and make them selfs feel awesome yet they have no idea what a double negative is.

really ive provided several simerlay structured sentances proving over and over again that its I could Care Less.

while every one else has done nothing but told me im wrong or im stupid.

and of course your right....as nothing is ever said before its written in a book...."By then it had clearly become sufficiently well known that he could rely on its being recognised." no wait....it seems it had allready been around long before the book in 1946 in fact the person had first herd of it in WW2 most liekly in the company of US soldiers, saying "I Could Careless" but misunderstanding it as "I Could Care Less" then thinking to himself im so smart S-M-R-T after all im english, this is wrong it must be i Couldnt Care less, wait is that a doulbe negative? no no of course not.
                Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 05-18-2012, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Ok mate.

By the way, it's 'you're right', not 'your right'.

Already only has one L, not two.

Sentences (spelled sentences, not sentances) start with a capital letter.

It's surprising, not its surprissing.

Them selfs makes no sense. It's themselves.

Similarly. Simerlay isn't a word.

But I guess you could care less right?
                  Last edited by BennyST; 05-18-2012, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Ok mate.

By the way, it's 'you're right', not 'your right'.

Already only has one L, not two.

Sentences (spelled sentences, not sentances) start with a capital letter.

It's surprising, not its surprissing.

Them selfs makes no sense. It's themselves.

Similarly. Simerlay isn't a word.

But I guess you could care less right?
                    see you just wasted, what 12 mins correcting me? and you still dont have a single valid argument.

the worlds knowledge of spelling and grammer is only going to help you on your resume, and sending company e-mails.
                    Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 05-18-2012, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED View Post
                      Then you don't have to worry about it.

Thats essentially what Im doing... just re-hashing the way members get in.
                      Awesome! keeps us posted.

Comment

Working...
                      X