Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much more Mayweather needs to do to be serious candidate for GOAT?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tonyjones View Post
    Imagine if we scrutinised the fighters of the past the way floyd is,I can guarantee him being a POSSIBLE goat wont seem so far fetched!!!

Modern fighters are always disregarded by old school romantics who only remember the highlights...and for the record just cause you fought more often dose'nt mean your a better fighter

Its a matter of resume. Compare his to these guys and its not even close.

1. Lanford
    2. Greb
    3. Robinson
    4. Armstrong
    5. Charles
    6. Pep
    7. B. Leonard
    8. Duran
    9. Fitzsimmons
    10. Gans
    11. Walker
    12. Tunney
    13. Ali
    14. Louis
    15. R. Leonard
    16. Ross
    17. McLarnin
    18. Canzoneri
    19. Barbados Joe Walcott
    20. Charley Burley

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
      longevity i give to PBF... and losing happens when you fight a fighter of duran's caliber...

and if i may humbly ask, do u consider PBF a greater fighter than ray? (PBF beating more top fighters)
      Leonard has the best win between the two (Hearns). The Benitez win was also very good. I assume Floyd has beaten more top 10 fighters. I do think PBF is better pfp. It's not easy to compare them though because their career paths are very different. I do think Hearns>Leonard though.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
        Leonard has the best win between the two (Hearns). The Benitez win was also very good. I assume Floyd has beaten more top 10 fighters. I do think PBF is better pfp. It's not easy to compare them though because their career paths are very different. I do think Hearns>Leonard though.
        among PBF's wins, what could it be that tops any of ray's? man, no offense but you are wrong on your assumptions...

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
          among PBF's wins, what could it be that tops any of ray's? man, no offense but you are wrong on your assumptions...
          I'm not gonna sort through their records for you, but they've both beaten plenty of good fighters. In my other post I stated that I assumed Floyd had beaten more top 10 contenders.

Comment

To be considered GOAT? I dunno....Beat Pac, Martinez, Ward, Dawson/Hopkins winner, Hernandez/Lebedev/Jones would suffice, and cap it off with a historic Wlad victory.

Other than that? Not any fighters aside from Pac and Martinez who can make realistically make his legacy better (realistic fights that is...)...and even then, he's behind most of the fighters who were in his general weight classes that are considered great.

Comment

5 wins that'd make him the GOAT.

1. Vitali
              2. Vitali
              3. Wlad
              4. Wlad
              5. Wlad

Comment

Remember when this used to be the history section?

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
                  I'm not gonna sort through their records for you, but they've both beaten plenty of good fighters. In my other post I stated that I assumed Floyd had beaten more top 10 contenders.

you're in the wrong forum for that to be honest. two examples :

floyd mayweather would never even fight tommy hearns.
                  way too big. they would avoid him like the plague.

likewise with marvin hagler. mayweather would not fight him. al haymon is one of the smartest men on the planet. floyd wouldnt have an iceberg's chance in hell of winning a fight against one of the best middleweights of all time (even if hagler was faded at that stage he fought leonard [his last fight])

what's he going to do, win a decision counterpunching against a bigger and longer middleweight and throwing 25 punches a round?
                  no. he'd get badly outpointed even if he can survive 12 - 15 rounds

knock hagler out!?
                  LOL! the guy couldnt stop juan manuel marquez (great fighter and one of my favorites, but lets be real, he does not belong in the ring with a great welterweight.)

he is not winning the fight.

floyd is in a horrid welterweight era at this stage. when WW was hot he was retired or avoiding the best fighters and making business decisions to take similar money for less risk (clottey, margarito, williams, cotto,)
                  dominating it isnt going to get you as much credit as coming out on top of one of the best quintets of all time in hagler, hearns, duran, leonard, and benitez

Comment

Who cares about top ten rated fighters when you have:

Benitez (38-0)
                    Duran (72-1)
                    Kalule (36-0)
                    Hearns (32-0)
                    Hagler (62-2)

And yes, also defeated Dave Green, Donny Lalonde, Pete Ranzany, Randy Shields, Andy Price, Tony Chiaverini, Bruce Finch.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                      you're in the wrong forum for that to be honest. two examples :

floyd mayweather would never even fight tommy hearns.
                      way too big. they would avoid him like the plague.

likewise with marvin hagler. mayweather would not fight him. al haymon is one of the smartest men on the planet. floyd wouldnt have an iceberg's chance in hell of winning a fight against one of the best middleweights of all time (even if hagler was faded at that stage he fought leonard [his last fight])

what's he going to do, win a decision counterpunching against a bigger and longer middleweight and throwing 25 punches a round?
                      no. he'd get badly outpointed even if he can survive 12 - 15 rounds

knock hagler out!?
                      LOL! the guy couldnt stop juan manuel marquez (great fighter and one of my favorites, but lets be real, he does not belong in the ring with a great welterweight.)

he is not winning the fight.

floyd is in a horrid welterweight era at this stage. when WW was hot he was retired or avoiding the best fighters and making business decisions to take similar money for less risk (clottey, margarito, williams, cotto,)
                      dominating it isnt going to get you as much credit as coming out on top of one of the best quintets of all time in hagler, hearns, duran, leonard, and benitez
                      Mayweather doesn't average 25 punches per round nor is he a great WW.

And please tell me you're not impling Floyd Mayweather ducked Joshua Clottey.

Comment

Working...
                      X