No announcement yet.

the most skilled boxers of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
    Great workrate, stamina, punch resistance, timing...
    He is still butthurt Pea pwned his hero :cool9:

Poet
    Last edited by JAB5239; 03-03-2012, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by raf727 View Post
      I love how people say 'natural ability', or 'physical attributes', or whatever. People act like RJJ wasn't doing crazy training since he was a child, or James Toney wasn't studying mad Ezzard Charles tapes and other old timers. Natural ability, Athleticism? Yes. They also had a determination to be the best, to learn the game, and train with a chip on their shoulder.

RJJ wasn't just some freakishly physically gifted man.
      what do you mean, James Toney studied "Mad Ezzard charles" and thus is a very skilled boxer. He was still good even when he was fat, out of shape and outsized.

Jones went from being a phenom to average once his athleticism left.

Jones didn't get fast from "crazy training".

Comment

Sorry mate but I'm putting Muhammad Ali down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Toney Loc View Post

Take away Whitaker's speed and reflexes and he still possesses an excellent southpaw jab, superb body punching skillz, and a very high Boxing IQ.

Don't mind him, he has a serious bias against Whitaker. He thinks Chavez actually won their fight. Most of us are incredulous to that.

Comment

You can't include JMM and not mayweather.

Comment

Bernard Hopkins or James Toney. Both can fight well even in their mid 40's.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
                what do you mean, James Toney studied "Mad Ezzard charles" and thus is a very skilled boxer. He was still good even when he was fat, out of shape and outsized.

Jones went from being a phenom to average once his athleticism left.

Jones didn't get fast from "crazy training".
                I was just using how Toney got some of his ring smarts as an example, the way he took his training seriously in his own way is no different than RJJ doing all the athletic physical training he did since birth. Not gonna lie though, I'm not sure where I was going with it but those are just two boxers I happen to have been following for years now so they came to mind.

Roy was amazingly gifted physically, but I don't think he would have reached that level except for his training methods. Since 9 years old he was being trained, sparring dudes with 1 hand behind his back, everything he does is 4 minute rounds, etc. It's not like he just woke up, had the quickest hands and reflexes in the world was all I was saying.

Comment

3 pages in and no Pep?

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
                    3 pages in and no Pep?
                    Whats good my friend? Maybe I missed it, but has anyone mentioned Gene Tunney?

Comment

Benny Leonard, Joe Gans, Barney Ross?

Comment

Working...
                      X