Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we all deluded about Sugar Ray Robinson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rockin' View Post

I don't need your 'links'.

Tell me what you know about the art..............Rockin'
    You can move along now I had enough of you crazy person

Comment

• IMO Robinson looks pretty clean, fundamentally sound along with his God given ability. Most of the film we have of Sugar Ray (there's only 1) is at Middleweight. Past his absolute peak as a fighter.

Still with that his early days at Middleweight Robinson looks faster than Leonard. The LaMotta fight was boxing 101. The rematch with Turpin saw Ray dance, move, lightning flurries, awesome power, high ring IQ. Anything after his comeback is not an apples to apples comparison.

How did Leonard look at 34? His punches looked wide and slow against Terry Norris. He was an easy target. You can insert some excuses but Robinson's age 34+ he had 100 and more bouts on his odometer.

Robinson was taller and more powerful than RL. He could win on the outside and at midrange. Leonard i believe was better inside and a little better defensively. It's marginal though.

Im fairly confident Sugar Ray wins a decision. Theres only 1. It might look like the Terry Norris fight but at a higher level prime for prime.

Comment

• Pre Television boxers from the 1930s and 40s are far more advanced than most of the boxers around in modern times. They had PHDs in the sport. They had to learn their craft completely. Boxing skills have not advanced.

Television hurt the sport on that level by killing the small fight clubs. TV HELPED in the show part of it. Hell Billy Conn once said that a boxer wasn't ready for a title shot until he had at least 1 loss. The idea to learn from it and improve.

Especially the black fighters of the 1930s and 40s. Its gets no more advanced than this. Guys that could do it all. Charly Burley, Jimmy Bivens, Holman Williams, Ezzard Charles, George Costner, Jimmy Edgar, Henry Armstrong to name a few. Those guys knew their craft backwards and forwards.

I recall a comment from Eddie Futch shortly before he past away. He was impressed with Floyd Mayweather. Mr. Futch said "Floyd does things defensively that he hasn't seen since the fighters of the late 1930s."

One thing those fighters had in common was they all ducked Rocky Graziano.

that was a bad joke.
        Ivich Ivich likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by DooGee#33 View Post
          Pre Television boxers from the 1930s and 40s are far more advanced than most of the boxers around in modern times. They had PHDs in the sport. They had to learn their craft completely. Boxing skills have not advanced.

Television hurt the sport on that level by killing the small fight clubs. TV HELPED in the show part of it. Hell Billy Conn once said that a boxer wasn't ready for a title shot until he had at least 1 loss. The idea to learn from it and improve.

Especially the black fighters of the 1930s and 40s. Its gets no more advanced than this. Guys that could do it all. Charly Burley, Jimmy Bivens, Holman Williams, Ezzard Charles, George Costner, Jimmy Edgar, Henry Armstrong to name a few. Those guys knew their craft backwards and forwards.

I recall a comment from Eddie Futch shortly before he past away. He was impressed with Floyd Mayweather. Mr. Futch said "Floyd does things defensively that he hasn't seen since the fighters of the late 1930s."

One thing those fighters had in common was they all ducked Rocky Graziano.

that was a bad joke.
          I don't think that as a bad joke.

Graziano was worth ducking.

You beat him and you gain little prestige (because of his crude style and his big loses.)

But at the same time he was always a one punch (right hand) threat. Who, if he got in a lucky right hand would follow it up with ten right hands.

Graziano was much work for little gain. I suspect he was in fact avoided.

Comment

• Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

I don't think that as a bad joke.

Graziano was worth ducking.

You beat him and you gain little prestige (because of his crude style and his big loses.)

But at the same time he was always a one punch (right hand) threat. Who, if he got in a lucky right hand would follow it up with ten right hands.

Graziano was much work for little gain. I suspect he was in fact avoided.
            Rocky was a big draw for MSG. He put people in the seats and provided a good show.
            Willie Pep 229 Willie Pep 229 likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by DooGee#33 View Post

Rocky was a big draw for MSG. He put people in the seats and provided a good show.
              But he was the one doing the ducking..
              DooGee#33 DooGee#33 likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ivich View Post
                But he was the one doing the ducking..
                Yes he was. That's why I said it was a bad joke.
                Ivich Ivich likes this.

Comment

• Look up him vs sammy angott george cliff tony freddie valentine andy nonnels and tony ancona Dykes,same obsolete tech and flaws as the older one that fought gene/jake/joey and others

Comment

• Originally posted by Matches tell truth View Post
                    Look up him vs sammy angott george cliff tony freddie valentine andy nonnels and tony ancona Dykes,same obsolete tech and flaws as the older one that fought gene/jake/joey and others
                    Changing your name tells us all that we need to know about you. A beeotch who does not want to stand behind his words.

And you have yet to teach me about the art that is boxing.

..................Rockin'
                    Last edited by Rockin'; 10-11-2023, 06:14 PM.
                    billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matches tell truth View Post

you really need to look up boxing full matches and look up and read tech and listen to people who show tech and angles,i keep telling you i'm not you're teacher,my job here is to disprove lies and myths that has been spread for years nothing else
                      . Yeah Rockin! being a former professional fighter and all does not mean you know about boxing... You need to learn how the trolls do it lol. I have not read something so funny since Robby asked you how you felt qualified to talk about boxing.
                      Rockin' Rockin' likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X