No announcement yet.

The Ring Magazine, Nov. 2011

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
    why the angry tone? What other boxing magazines are there to read?

At least it's something. I haven't read the latest, but I always find something interesting in there and they always profile an old school fighter which I learn something new.
    I don't have a problem with the magazine, just the people who get sanctimonious about its virtue. Actually I'm sorry to see the newspaper/magazine business face such a grim future. The alphabet groups are all crap, but the truth is that fighters, promoters, and TV networks care much more about them than the precious "Ring belt". Anyway you look at it, it's a publication that is owned by boxing promoters. Any hint of impartial judgement vanished last week when they chose to keep the title on a fighter who was just TKO'd in a fight. If that fighter wasn't an executive of the company who owns the magazine, maybe it wouldn't look so bad. Or maybe they would have just waited for the state commission to make a final ruling, as is customary.

But like I said, I don't have a problem with fans enjoying what the magazine now offers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamza305 View Post
      It sucks, I read it at WH Smith whilst browsing

I do the exact same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        I don't have a problem with the magazine, just the people who get sanctimonious about its virtue. Actually I'm sorry to see the newspaper/magazine business face such a grim future. The alphabet groups are all crap, but the truth is that fighters, promoters, and TV networks care much more about them than the precious "Ring belt". Anyway you look at it, it's a publication that is owned by boxing promoters. Any hint of impartial judgement vanished last week when they chose to keep the title on a fighter who was just TKO'd in a fight. If that fighter wasn't an executive of the company who owns the magazine, maybe it wouldn't look so bad. Or maybe they would have just waited for the state commission to make a final ruling, as is customary.

But like I said, I don't have a problem with fans enjoying what the magazine now offers.

Unfortunately I have to agree. I've always been a staunch supporter of their rankings, but right is right. I think they're better the the ABC's, but right is right. Boxing is in a dismal state of chaos with all the BS and alphabet soup,

Comment

I thought Doug Fischer was taking over as editor, how could that possible be a bad thing?. As far as rankings are concerned what does it matter who owns the company?

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
            I thought Doug Fischer was taking over as editor, how could that possible be a bad thing?. As far as rankings are concerned what does it matter who owns the company?
            I like Doug Fischer and Michael Rosenthal. But you really can't understand the conflict of a magazines rating overseen by a boxing promotional company? You don't think they want to see their talent get preferential treatment?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
              I like Doug Fischer and Michael Rosenthal. But you really can't understand the conflict of a magazines rating overseen by a boxing promotional company? You don't think they want to see their talent get preferential treatment?
              As far as coverage sure but I am pretty sure its still going to be a group of writers who do the rankings.

Comment

Working...
              X