Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HYPED prospects who failed to live up to the hype...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgot about Hopson. He was good. He was at least fun to watch. Yeah he lack a champ level chin but he had so much else and unlike some other guys that didnt live up to promise he did a decent job defending his weak chin.

Comment

HYPED prospects who failed to live up to the hype...

Floyd Mayweather

Comment

Originally posted by Jarlaxle View Post
        Forgot about Hopson. He was good. He was at least fun to watch. Yeah he lack a champ level chin but he had so much else and unlike some other guys that didnt live up to promise he did a decent job defending his weak chin.
        I think with his massive level of talent (as far as handspeed anyway) he should've come up with better wins than Moises Pedroza and Troy Dorsey regardless of his ability to take a punch.

Being flattened by an opponent with a record of 8 wins and 6 losses is tough to come back from however. I guess his management just gave up on him.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
          I think with his massive level of talent (as far as handspeed anyway) he should've come up with better wins than Moises Pedroza and Troy Dorsey regardless of his ability to take a punch.

Being flattened by an opponent with a record of 8 wins and 6 losses is tough to come back from however. I guess his management just gave up on him.
          I know I've said this before, but Ed Hopson had the fastest hands I've ever seen on a boxer.

Comment

Edison Miranda was hyped to hell. People were dissatisfied with how Taylor couldn't beat Hopkins decisively, and how unimpressive he looked in his title defenses. Miranda was pegged as the guy who'd beat him and maybe be a dominant monster because of his KO power. He actually got even more hype after his loss to Abraham because the decision was shady. But he got annihilated by Pavlik, then rebuilding himself at SMW failed when Abraham whacked him in the rematch. He ended up being a bigger version of Mayorga.

Jeff Lacy was building a fan following and got hyped up like crazy. People figured he'd take back 168 from Europeans and run the division, maybe step up to 175 later. But Calzaghe ripped him to pieces and he never recovered.

Samuel Peter was supposed to be the new KO king at HW. He was coming up when Vitali was falling off with injuries, and Wlad was looking like an exposed hypejob himself. But Wlad actually used Peter as the fulcrum for his comeback to the top of the division. It took Peter a few more years just to get a paper belt from Maskaev, then Vitali immediately spanked him for it to start his big comeback. Peter pretty much became a journeyman and the Klitschkos' punching bag.

Comment

Muhammad Ali

Comment

take your pick of kronk gym fighters. most came out highly regarded , Tony Tucker Duane Thomas DuJuan Johnson Hilmer Kenty, the Mcrory brothers, , the list just keeps going. Tommy Hearns is the only one who actually reached his full potential.

Comment

Audrey Harrison
                  Roman Greenberg...Lmao remember this clown?
                  Brandon ''Bum bum'' Rios.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                    Audrey Harrison
                    Roman Greenberg...Lmao remember this clown?
                    Brandon ''Bum bum'' Rios.
                    A little premature on Rios there.

Comment

Michael Grant and Paea Wolfgramm.

Comment

Working...
                      X