Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HYPED prospects who failed to live up to the hype...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New England View Post
    ike ibeabuchi lost his marbles

does that count?
    I reckon hed have won a world title but lost it pretty soon. IMO of course.

Michael Grant, Shannon Briggs....Audley Harrison.

Fraudley - 6 foot 5 inches, built like a brick ****house and icey water running through his veins. Scared to be hit and watching the first Sprott fight, its not suprising he didnt like getting hit.

Oh....Neon Leon Spinks.

EDIT - Does Neon Leon count?
    Last edited by Cloud; 08-04-2011, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fitefanSHO View Post
      I'll start...

Michael Olajide

Engels Pedroza

Francisco Bojado
      Alex Ramos

Bobby Czyz

Johnny Bumphus

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
        Alex Ramos

Bobby Czyz

Johnny Bumphus

"Tomorrow's Champions"

I think Bobby Czyz lived up to his potential, however.

Comment

Greg Page
          Tony Tucker
          Howard Davis Jr.
          Bernard Taylor.
          Alex Ramos
          Bobby Joe Young.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
            Bobby Czyz
            Well, I actually think Czyz exceeded reasonable expectations of him.

He did well.

Jorge Luis Gonzales comes to mind for me, as does somebody like Alex Stewart.

Tho he did give Foreman hell..

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite76 View Post
              Greg Page
              Tony Tucker
              Howard Davis Jr.
              Bernard Taylor.
              Alex Ramos
              Bobby Joe Young.
              Do you remember how cool it was to read the prospects sections of the Ring Magazine and World/International Boxing?

I was really hyped about Bobby Joe Young from what I read about him. 1st time I got to see him fight, he wound up losing to Kevin Howard.

Comment

Micahel Bennett. An Amateur gold and solid amateur career gave him a following. I saw a couple of his first four fights and his lack of defense a concern but I didnt expect him to get KOed in his fifth fight. He had a tendancy to raise his head and drop his gloves when hit. In other words his chin was a large easy soft target.

Comment

Originally posted by fitefanSHO View Post
                  I'll start...

Michael Olajide

Engels Pedroza

Francisco Bojado
                  I remember I was at a fight and Jimmy Montoya was there. He pointed to a guy and said he was a hot prospect he had and he was 15-0 all by ko and most in the first round. So I paid extra attention to the fighter after that. Until he stepped up that is. He was Engels Pedroza.

I never was high on Olajide, his claim to fame was a resemblance to Micheal Jackson? Which I didn't see. He was flashy but it was no suprise to me when Frank Tate and Barkley humbled him.

For me the hyped prospects that stand out the most are the accomplished amateurs that just couldn't make the transaction to the pro game, Howard Davis Jr. and Mark Breland stand out.

Comment

Ed Hopson. A super featherweight who had absurd speed and a chin of pure glass. Put on a few shows until a blown up bantamweight knocked him out.

Due to his association with Lou Duva and a similar look, he was drawing comparison to Pernell Whitaker. Sadly he did not have the defense or the durability.

This is basically the traditional case of an over-hyped prospect:

Win a vacant belt against a hand-picked opponent while looking impressive in the process.

Get knocked out in embarrassing fashion in a set-up against a former champion.
                    Last edited by TheGreatA; 05-29-2012, 08:12 PM.

Comment

In the earlier days, Len Matthews was hyped as another Sugar Ray Robinson. He was flashy and tough but did not possess the skills and as a result was merely a contender in a tough lightweight division.

He was arguably never the same after this:

Matthews fought 6 more times in the next 6 months which puts to perspective how tough these fighters were.
                      Last edited by TheGreatA; 05-29-2012, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X