Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Any Fighter in History Brawl With (Prime, Pre-Ali) Foreman And Come Out On Top?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    Sonny Liston could outbrawl George Foreman if he so pleased.

He could and probably would beat Foreman without making it a brawl but if he decided he wanted to brawl he could 'outbrawl' him.
    ^^^^^ This right here.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
      Lyle got knocked out. So he was NOT successful brawling with Foreman. Yeah he knocked Foreman down but who was the last one standing when the fight ended? That's all that matters.
      Oh yeah, that's all that matters right? Lets just be convenient and forget the fact that Foreman was extremely close to getting knocked out himself on several occasions, got dropped twice himself, and was hurt countless times. Plus Lyle was pretty much dead tired at the end, so it's not like he was completely ko'd.

I guess you can say that this is the fight that Foreman fans don't want you to remember. The fact that you can sit there and claim Lyle was not succesful brawling with Foreman says it all.

The difference is Douglass won. Lyle didn't.
      That actually makes no diffirence at all. Both guys get a lot of excuses but Foreman gets a free pass. He was in his 20s and that fight shows he was not invincible in a brawl.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
        So much of a nightmare that he got KO'd.

What excuses exactly ?, he was banging Japanese hookers the night before and they ... helped him win ?.

It pretty clear that the Foreman that fought Lyle wasn't the one that we seen a few years previous and it still didn't matter.
        It was the same Foreman. He just got a taste of his own medicine. The answer to this thread is Ron Lyle. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by boxkickboxmma View Post
          It was the same Foreman. He just got a taste of his own medicine. The answer to this thread is Ron Lyle. Deal with it.
          Well I dont know about Lyle.

Call me mad but I would give Jack Dempsey a chance. The guy was strong and could hit, was more unpredictable with the bob and weave than Frazier and was a better two fisted puncher.

May be Jim jeffries. He was extremely strong and had a granite chin. He took punches from smaller gloves, but took it all right.Jeffries was a clubbing puncher but he will hurt george. I favour George but may be Jim can surprise us too.

Sonny I dont think will like to be in a brawl with Foreman. He was a boxer puncher much like his idol Joe Louis. And would prefer to box.
          Last edited by Greatest1942; 07-08-2011, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
            Well I dont know about Lyle.

Call me mad but I would give Jack Dempsey a chance. The guy was strong and could hit, was more unpredictable with the bob and weave than Frazier and was a better two fisted puncher.

May be Jim jeffries. He was extremely strong and had a granite chin. He took punches from smaller gloves, but took it all right.Jeffries was a clubbing puncher but he will hurt george. I favour George but may be Jim can surprise us too.

Sonny I dont think will like to be in a brawl with Foreman. He was a boxer puncher much like his idol Joe Louis. And would prefer to box.
            Nah man, Dempsey's a fair possible and so is Great White. Take her back further. Who wins brawling Foreman/John L. ?

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
              Nah man, Dempsey's a fair possible and so is Great White. Take her back further. Who wins brawling Foreman/John L. ?
              I am not sure about Sullivan...Sullivan was tough but I dont think he was polished enough to avoid george punches too much.
              Dempsey the young hungry guy was great. He did bob and weave and was very unpredicatble , plus a tremendous two fisted puncher. So I give him a chance.

Again I put Jeffries because of his durability. The man was never stopped and could take punches. But he did out weigh most he fought. But a exceptionally strong guy and almost as big as George. He wont be pushed around much. I favour George but wont count out Jim.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

you're basically asking who has the chin and the power to bang with george foreman?

winning, i don't know about. i tend to doubt it. and why would you anyway? ^^ what a horrible way to spend an evening!

any great boxer who's fighting george foreman is going to implement his skills. As far as his skillset went, foreman was lacking seriously pre ali and post ali pre - retirement, if we're talking about him in the context of other hall of fame HWs. Post retirement foreman implemented a much higher level display of boxing, and took most of the brute stuff out of his style in favor of an economical boxing strategy

so we have to ask who would have no choice other than to brawl//punch with foreman, in that they were unable to simply outbox him for points or allow him to wear himself out and go rounds? and have the chin and style to hang with him?

again, i don't think any of these men would be successful in a slugfest with george foreman, but they would bang with him, and wouldn't go quietly

in order of least likely to succeed to most likely

tua. big enough puncher to get respect from any man who has ever lived. fantastic chin. slow in terms of a top flight hw, but fast enough against a man like foreman to keep from being constantly beat to the punch.
                i think tua loses a decision if he's prime prime prime and in shape
                probaly 12 rounds to 3 for foreman,

holyfield. best mental and physical engine i've ever seen in a big man in boxing. he had that "You hit me, i'm going to hit you back harder." thing going. he'd slug it out after trying to box and getting hit with something big. evander could box very well in the traditional point scoring sense, though, so i'm not certain he'd brawl

tyson. the guy knew how to close a gap while being defensive and finding a range where he could land bombs. the question for be would be "is prime foreman strong enough to keep tyson off of doing anything other than punching?" keeping some slow schmuck off of you with your open paws is one thing, but keeping mike tyson in his prime off of you with that **** just wouldn't happen. he'd be fast and strong enough to make him pay for that reaching and pawing stuff (probably a right hand over the top of a foreman left paw ^^ .) he was a craftsman when he was on top, not a brawler, though. he produced very precise offense, and the gameplan he would need to implement wouldn't really be brawling.
                the questions for me would become "can foreman land something big on tyson to keep him away and could mike take the punch?"
                and "can foreman last the few early rounds where tyson was actually a dangerous puncher?"
                i think he does outlast tyson's sprint early, and knocks mike out lateish, but for the purposes of the thread, mike have a chance to bang it out with george foreman and knock him out for a few rounds
                i actually think post retirement foreman is the rougher match for tyson because of foreman's pace

and joe louis would go out there with the intention of knocking foreman out
                and he'd do it. huge right hand after foreman leaves that left paw out for too long
                middle rounds max. foreman on the floor for at least ten seconds.

but i wouldn't call that brawling either

the obvious names already came forward
                ali, fought him in a phonebooth. lyle almost stopped him. modern referees would have stopped that fight many times on both sides in that fight, but that's a topic for another day.. and liston backed him up in sparring before the olympics, i know he was young, but the olympics were a different animal back then, and an amateur of his level would be brought up in a very professional boxing tradition

i'd probably take prime george over six or seven guys off the street with bats and knives in his prime
                even odds
                smart money those guys all get lumped up and sent home with no shoes
                Last edited by New England; 07-09-2011, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Oh yeah, that's all that matters right? Lets just be convenient and forget the fact that Foreman was extremely close to getting knocked out himself on several occasions, got dropped twice himself, and was hurt countless times. Plus Lyle was pretty much dead tired at the end, so it's not like he was completely ko'd.

I guess you can say that this is the fight that Foreman fans don't want you to remember. The fact that you can sit there and claim Lyle was not succesful brawling with Foreman says it all.

That actually makes no diffirence at all. Both guys get a lot of excuses but Foreman gets a free pass. He was in his 20s and that fight shows he was not invincible in a brawl.
                  Uh yeah that's all that matters. You should read the title of the thread. "Who could brawl with pre-Ali, Prime, Foreman and come out on top" Not only did Lyle not fight pre Ali Foreman, he did NOT come out on top. He lost the fight. How was that successful? And don't pretend like Foreman's punches had nothing to do with Lyle getting knocked out. They were BOTH tired. Foreman doesn't need any excuses for Lyle because he knocked his ass out.

Comment

Lyle didn't come out on top. The fight ended with him on his back failing to beat a ten count. Deal with facts.

Comment

[B][I]Uh yeah that's all that matters.
                      Then you're acting like a child closing his ears and screaming. If you want to ignore Lyle brutalizing Foreman as well be my guest but I won't bother for much longer.

You should read the title of the thread. "Who could brawl with pre-Ali, Prime, Foreman and come out on top" Not only did Lyle not fight pre Ali Foreman, he did NOT come out on top. He lost the fight. How was that successful?
                      Take your own advice. YOU should read the title. It's says COULD any fighter brawl with Foreman and come out on top? COULD, not WOULD.

And considering there is actualy footage of Lyle brawling with Foreman, hurting him many times, dropping him twice almost knocking him out, and even at one point in the fight Foreman was fighting backwards which would be the only time in his career he would do that, and you're acting like this because think Lyle could outslug Foreman if they fought a few more times? You must be joking.

And don't pretend like Foreman's punches had nothing to do with Lyle getting knocked out. They were BOTH tired. Foreman doesn't need any excuses for Lyle because he knocked his ass out.
                      You should actually watch the fight. You're acting like Lyle was knocked out cold while he was in a punching exchange with Foreman. What really happened was both guys were dead tired and Foreman at the end was just pummeling Lyle with punches that had nothing behind them. Lyle dropped because he had nothing left. It's a great fight so why not actually check it out?
                      Last edited by BKM-2010; 07-08-2011, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X