Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Ingemar Johansson have one of the hardest punches ever

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He had one helluva right hand, thatīs true. Still, if he had the punching power of Foreman, Marciano, Tyson, Liston or Shavers, he wouldnīt have to knock Patterson down 7 times...

(When it comes to the fight between Ali and Foreman which you refer to, I have to point out that Foreman only went down from Alis combination because of exhaustion. It was not about power. I canīt see Ingo dropping Foreman)

Comment

His right hand was one of the heaviest. He was not remembered for being one of the heaviest punchers in history however.

Comment

true i doubt ingo could even get out of the first round with foreman.but just because patterson kept getting up doesnt mean he wasnt a big time puncher for his weight..i believe the only person who knocked patterson down and made him stay down was liston and liston was a natural heavyweight and i think patterson started his career as a middleweight

Comment

Good Power!

He very good power, but I would rate his HW power somewhere outside the top 20 or 25 in the history of the division, still not taking anything away from his power.
          I would say the all time Hardest HW punchers & their were quite a few, would have to be put in 3 tiers, Guys like Foreman, Liston, Shavers & a few others tier 1, then 2nd tier Guys like Patterson, & others,

Ingemar would be somewhere in the 3rd Tier.

Comment

Not top 10!

I would say his power does not make the top 10 all time HW list, maybe top 20, does not mean anything though, because he had some awesome power, just means, I could easily pick 10 over him, & 15, 20, well by that point, it's just flip a coin over several guys if they make the top 20 or get left off.

Comment

Originally posted by phallus View Post
              shaky??? Floyd Patterson had the worst chin in history, it was pure crystal, i think he was knocked out the most times of any hw champ in history
              I know this is a bump thread and all that, but I don't want anybody who's still on here to think this is true. Floyd got Koed by Ingemar Johansson, Sonny Liston and Muhammad Ali. 3 people. He got Koed twice by Liston and Ali though. But to say he had a glass chin..? Come on man

Comment

It has to be right up there.....and I do think it is a wee bit tough/basic to judge Johansson's punching credibilty solely based on his encounters with FP and whether Floyd had a chin or not.

Eddie Machen and Henry Cooper both got stopped early by Johansson as did the much bigger Ten Hoff as well. 'Thors Hammer' was a world-class weapon and especially when you consider that Johansson was invariably bigger and heavier men.

Comment

patterson said he hit harder than liston. his right was one of the hardest ever but as kid a said, otherwise he was ordinary

Comment

Originally posted by phallus View Post
                    shaky??? Floyd Patterson had the worst chin in history, it was pure crystal, i think he was knocked out the most times of any hw champ in history

Wrong. Only Johannson, Liston and Ali ever stopped him.

That said there were plenty of knockdowns and it is true, his chin was an area to be exploited.

Comment

Ingo's career was very very short (28 bouts) and his bouts with Floyd were the highlights!! He didn't fight anyone of note other than Machen & London and neither of them are top tier competitors! He obviously had a strong right hand punch but theres not much experience in a short 9 years career!

On the other hand Floyd Paterson had 40KOs in 55 wins (64 pro fights) and another 37 in 44 amatuer fights (40 wins) with a Gold Medal at the Olympics as a Middleweight!
                      Floyds KO percentage is high and he was only stopped off his feet by Liston and the one Ingo tko!! The others were tko on cuts or injury!

Funny how his accomplishments aren't recognized anymore as the youngest champ and the first to regain the title!! Those were high credits for Ali & Tyson so why not for Floyd who did it first????

At barely 6' and 185lbs Floyd brought power and speed and other than Listen & Ali everyone had problems with him!! Terrific competitor and a great man outside the ring he is missed today because of his high qualities as a man!
                      Liston was his poison and Cus knew that but Floyd insisted on the defenses!
                      Same thing Cus felt about Big George for Tyson, and Cus learned his lessons well !!

Ray.

Comment

Working...
                      X