Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1 Billion: Calzaghe true great or over rated fraud?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
    I actually got red K'ed for posting *****s inauguration speech on here.
    Lemme guess: It was Wlad_Ownz aka Steelhammer2011? He left me red K with the message "dumb n*gg*r" before.....He didn't bother to check out that I'm white as Casper The Friggin' Ghost :hahahaha9:

Poet

Comment

Neither a true great, or an over-rated fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
        His quality of opposition isn't exactly the greatest and that's what hinders him from being an ATG. But his resume is solid and he defeated everyone he faced. Standout wins include Hopkins (could've gone either way but he, at worse, hung tough with an ATG), Kessler, Brewer and Sheika. The latter two were good wins at the time he had them. Annihilated the extremely overhyped Lacy. Don't give it much credit but with the exception of Ottke (and because Ottke didn't want the fight), he beat nearly every credible contender in his division over a long period of time.
        That's not actually true, DAZED.

Whether it was his fault or not, I'm not going to get into that draining argument.

There were alot of fighters that were at the top of Calzaghes division across his lack luster reign at SMW which he ending up never getting into the ring with.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          That's not actually true, DAZED.

Whether it was his fault or not, I'm not going to get into that draining argument.

There were alot of fighters that were at the top of Calzaghes division across his lack luster reign at SMW which he ending up never getting into the ring with.
          Who are you referring to - maybe some slipped my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
            Lemme guess: It was Wlad_Ownz aka Steelhammer2011? He left me red K with the message "dumb n*gg*r" before.....He didn't bother to check out that I'm white as Casper The Friggin' Ghost :hahahaha9:

Poet
            It was actually the history sections very own tomato can, RFPROBOX.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
              Who are you referring to - maybe some slipped my mind.
              Sven Ottke
              Bruno Girard
              Antwun Echols
              Eric Lucas
              Anthony Mundine
              Danny Green
              Marcus Beyer
              Liborado Andrade
              Lucia Bute
              Thomas Tate

Were all top 5 contenders at one point or another during Calzaghe's reign.

I undersand he couldn't fight all of them and someof them weren't his fault. But, that makes no difference to me. The fact is he didn't fight Top ranked fighters pretty much his entire title reign.

His whole career consisted of only 3 fighters who were ranked in the Top 5 of the respective division he was fighting in.

Which is, in a word, pathetic.

Comment

Sven Ottke
                Bruno Girard
                Antwun Echols
                Eric Lucas
                Anthony Mundine
                Danny Green
                Marcus Beyer
                Liborado Andrade
                Lucia Bute
                Thomas Tate

I undersand he couldn't fight all of them and someof them weren't his fault. But, that makes no difference to me. The fact is he didn't fight Top ranked fighters pretty much his entire title reign.

His whole career consisted of only 3 fighters who were ranked in the Top 5 of the respective division he was fighting in.

Yeah, you got me there

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
                  It was actually the history sections very own tomato can, RFPROBOX.
                  I'm familier with him.....and I'm also pretty damn sure he's someone's alt. I just haven't been able to pin down whose.....yet :cool9:

Poet

Comment

Sven Ottke
                    Bruno Girard
                    Antwun Echols
                    Eric Lucas
                    Anthony Mundine
                    Danny Green
                    Marcus Beyer
                    Liborado Andrade
                    Lucia Bute
                    Thomas Tate

Sven Ottke never fought outside Germany. He had a reputation for getting dodgy "wins" from judges scorecard, so you can't really blame Joe for not going there.

Bruno Girad won the Super Middleweight title in 2000, and moved up to Light-heavyweight in 2001, there was only a small window of opportunity for this fight too happen, and I can't remember there being any clamour for it.

Antwun Echols would have been a decent challenger, but he's no better than Charles Brewer or Byron Mitchell was, I don't see how he could be classed as a gap on Joe's CV. If he had of fought him Joe would have won, and then Joe haters would have dismissed him as a "nobody" just like they do with Brewer and Mitchell even though both of those won World titles at Super-Middleweight which Echols never did.

Eric Lucas, really Eric Lucas? The guy who lost to Glenn Catley? The guy whose best win was over Omar Sheika? He would have been better than a lot of the guys Joe fought, but how can he be described as a gap on Joe's CV? Again if Joe had fought he would have won, and then everyone would be saying he was just another bum that Joe beat up.

Antony Mundine was a solid fighter, but he did lose every round when he fought Calzaghe victim Kessler, despite having hometown advantage

Fair play I'd have loved to have seen him fight Danny Green. That'd have been some brawl.

Markus Beyer never fought outside Germany and as I said before German judges did not have a good reputation at the time. Beyer was not in Calzaghe's league anyway.

Librado Andrade only became world ranked around the time Joe was fighting Lacy, Bika, Manfredo and Kessler. Apart from Manfredo Andrade was inferior to all of these guys.

Lucian Bute was unknown outside of Canada until around the time Joe moved up to light-heavyweight to fight B-Hop.

Thomas Tate never held a world title, he was an unknown in the UK, so why would he have been on Joe's radar?

Basically the only one of these fights that people actually wanted to see happen is Ottke, and Ottke didn't want to leave Germany and Joe didn't want to get robbed on the road. None of the guys on this list would have enhanced Joe's CV all that much, not even Ottke really. Truth was Joe dominated a weak division.
                    Last edited by Welsh Jon; 06-21-2011, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Welsh Jon View Post
                      Sven Ottke never fought outside Germany. He had a reputation for getting dodgy "wins" from judges scorecard, so you can't really blame Joe for not going there.

Bruno Girad won the Super Middleweight title in 2000, and moved up to Light-heavyweight in 2001, there was only a small window of opportunity for this fight too happen, and I can't remember there being any clamour for it.

Antwun Echols would have been a decent challenger, but he's no better than Charles Brewer or Byron Mitchell was, I don't see how he could be classed as a gap on Joe's CV. If he had of fought him Joe would have won, and then Joe haters would have dismissed him as a "nobody" just like they do with Brewer and Mitchell even though both of those won World titles at Super-Middleweight which Echols never did.

Eric Lucas, really Eric Lucas? The guy who lost to Glenn Catley? The guy whose best win was over Omar Sheika? He would have been better than a lot of the guys Joe fought, but how can he be described as a gap on Joe's CV? Again if Joe had fought he would have won, and then everyone would be saying he was just another bum that Joe beat up.

Antony Mundine was a solid fighter, but he did lose every round when he fought Calzaghe victim Kessler, despite having hometown advantage

Fair play I'd have loved to have seen him fight Danny Green. That'd have been some brawl.

Markus Beyer never fought outside Germany and as I said before German judges did not have a reputation at the time. Beyer was not in Calzaghe's league anyway.

Librado Andrade only became world ranked around the time Joe was fighting Lacy, Bika, Manfredo and Kessler. Apart from Manfredo Andrade was inferior to all of these guys.

Lucian Bute was unknown outside of Canada until around the time Joe moved up to light-heavyweight to fight B-Hop.

Thomas Tate never held a world title, he was an unknown in the UK, so why would he have been on Joe's radar?

Basically the only one of these fights that people actually wanted to see happen is Ottke, and Ottke didn't want to leave Germany and Joe didn't want to get robbed on the road. None of the guys on this list would have enhanced Joe's CV all that much, not even Ottke really. Truth was Joe dominated a weak division.
                      Like I said, I'm not getting into the who, who, what, where, when and why's to these names and why, how or if they should have happened.

And I merely listing the fighters that were ranked in the Top 5 of the Super Middleweight division during Joe Calzaghe's reign that he didn't fight.

Am I claiming he ducked them? God no.

Am I claimed he should have fought them all? God no.

Am I claiming it's his fault he fought none of them? God no.

Again, I am simply listing fighters that were ranked in the Top 5 that he didn't fight.

Most of them, there was no public demand for, literally at all. And you're right most probably people would laugh them off regardless.

But, what he would have to gain from taking any of those fights, is; a fighter to add to his resume that was ranked in the Top 5 when he fought them.

Because as of right now, all he has is; Kessler, Lacy and Hopkins. And for one reason or another, no matter how long we go over and why's and how's of his possible opponents the fact remains that that is all he has in terms of top ranked opposition.

Comment

Working...
                      X