No announcement yet.

Boxing Short Stories

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Holtol View Post
    Never heard the story you posted about him, but his reaction sounded about right from what I have read about him. I think he did have a good side that came out around kids sometimes.
    Kids and the elderly.

The people whom he felt wouldn't judge him.

Liston is to me, without a doubt, boxing's saddest story.

Comment

Great thread guys!

Comment

Just heard this one on Ringside the other night

A young Riddick Bowe all 6'5 of him was tooling up his sparring partners in camp. Knocking em out or beating them to the point they didn't wanna spar with him any more. Eddie Futch Bowe's respected trainer says to Riddick to go easy on them and box a bit, ease off the power. Big Daddy then storms out and plants his sparring partner with a bomb that rocks him! At that point Little Old Frail Poppa Smurf calls Bowe over to the corner and swings a left hook straight at his jaw bare fist! Bowe pulled back from it but Futch had made his point and Bowe eased up and boxed as Futch had wanted him too!

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post

A young Riddick Bowe all 6'5 of him was tooling up his sparring partners in camp. Knocking em out or beating them to the point they didn't wanna spar with him any more. Eddie Futch Bowe's respected trainer says to Riddick to go easy on them and box a bit, ease off the power. Big Daddy then storms out and plants his sparring partner with a bomb that rocks him! At that point Little Old Frail Poppa Smurf calls Bowe over to the corner and swings a left hook straight at his jaw bare fist! Bowe pulled back from it but Futch had made his point and Bowe eased up and boxed as Futch had wanted him too!
          Bet that hook would have still carried some sting.

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post

Ringside is on ESPN Classics right? When is that on? I can never seem to find it in the listings.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
              Ringside is on ESPN Classics right? When is that on? I can never seem to find it in the listings.
              Its on Sky Sports 1 bud

Comment

I can't remember the source, so i'm hoping someone can elaborate but i can recall reading a short story about Cus D'Amato checking into a Florida hotel, then sitting down to have his shoes shined..
                When suddenly realizing that the smallish man knelt infront of him was non-other than former 2 time lwt champ, Beau Jack; he rose to his feet and exclaimed in a loud voice,
                '' Hey, i'm not gonna let the finest lightweight in the world shine my shoes.''

Seconds later, he then insisted on Beau taking his seat, just before dropping to his knees and scrubbing the ex-champs boots..

Comment

Did anyone else get that story on Benny Paret on the SAT test? I swear I read it more than once on there. I dont think they mentioned about the other guy calling him a ****** though.

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
                    Did anyone else get that story on Benny Paret on the SAT test? I swear I read it more than once on there. I dont think they mentioned about the other guy calling him a ****** though.
                    It was Benny Paret that called Emile Griffith a ******, not the other way around.

Comment

Probably a massive tall tale, but I remember reading about a fight buildup of one of Bob Fitzsimmons's fights in the US, the referee for this fight was Wyatt Earp. Apparently Earp upset Fitz and there was a staredown between the two men where Earp tells Bob that its lucky he didn't have his gun on him, and Bob replied, "exactly".......... If it didn't happen,,, then it bloody well should have................. Also, if anyone can expand on the origin of this story, it would be greatly appreciated.............. Odds on the outcome of a fistfight would have been astronomically in Ruby Bob's favour................ and the outcome if Earp had his gun don't bear thinkin about. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- there are two facts, I can vouch for, #1, Bob could use his fists.. #2, Earp did referee fights,, and was a dubious referee at that, and was O.K. with a gun (excuse the pun LOL).

Comment

Working...
                      X