Boxing Short Stories

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
    I knew of their fight but hadnt heard that! lol Archie was a character

Glad ud heard those ones i was on about, i was starting to think id made them up!
    Moore was fighting on fumes by then, apparently at the weigh in Archie was reading the eye chart and instead of A,B,C etc he was calling P,V,F and the doctor says "For christs sake Archie, thats not right" Archie says "Hell Doc Willie aint gonna be that far away!"

Comment

Here's another one, well versed by GJC also.

It was June 1975 and Joe Bugner had just lasted 15 competetive rounds with Ali in Kuala Lumpa. Ali was taken to hospital suffering from de-hydration while Bugner did 6 lengths of backstroke in the hotel pool.. Joe emerged from the water and drapped himself in a towel when Hugh McIlvenny (The Observer) suddenly appeared and directly challenged Bugner's desire.
      He responded in anger, "Bring on Jesus bloody Christ!" ranted Bugner, to which McIlvenny retorted, "Oh come on Joe, you're only saying that because you know he's got bad hand's."
      Last edited by mickey malone; 02-05-2011, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
        Here's another one, well versed by GJC also.

It was June 1975 and Joe Bugner had just lasted 15 competetive rounds with Ali in Kuala Lumpa. Ali was taken to hospital suffering from de-hydration while Bugner did 6 lengths of backstroke in the hotel pool.. Joe emerged from the water and drapped himself in a towel when Hugh McIlvenny (The Observer) suddenly appeared and directly challenged Bugner's desire.
        He responded in anger, "Bring on Jesus bloody Christ!" ranted Bugner, to which McIlvenny retorted, "Oh come on Joe, you're only saying that because you know he's got bad hand's."
        Lol Nice!

Whats ur thoughts on Bugner? He was on Im a Celebrity Get Me Outta Here a while back and some old bird on there was ripping him for having no killer instinct in his career, lol it drove him mad! He was a complete *****e bag too, and kept telling everyone how easily the snakes and spiders in there could kill them lol, the crowd turned on him quick!

Ive never liked him as a boxer personally but he was pretty good

Comment

Lol Nice!

Whats ur thoughts on Bugner? He was on Im a Celebrity Get Me Outta Here a while back and some old bird on there was ripping him for having no killer instinct in his career, lol it drove him mad! He was a complete *****e bag too, and kept telling everyone how easily the snakes and spiders in there could kill them lol, the crowd turned on him quick!

Joe was one of those people who was a good contender. On a resume such as Ali's and Frazier I would class him as a little above a "Solid" win. He was a goof points gainer on your resume is what I'm trying to say.

P.S - 5 star thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
            Joe was one of those people who was a good contender. On a resume such as Ali's and Frazier I would class him as a little above a "Solid" win. He was a goof points gainer on your resume is what I'm trying to say.

P.S - 5 star thread.
            Fair assesment. Yeah its a good thread innit, thanks to the guys posting in it like urself, not me! lol

Comment

Lol Nice!

Deep down, i don't think Bugner really wanted to be a fighter. He did have an aggresive streak but it only surfaced when an opponent did something in particular to upset him. The Richard Dunn and Winston Allen fights are good examples with Bugner destroying both of them brutally. Dunn had verbally insulted him and Allen bit Joe's shoulder while they were in a clinch.
              Referring to his passive side, it may have also had something to do with Ulric Regis, an opponent who lapsed into a coma and died shortly after fighting Bugner at the start of his career.
              Joe tried to get out of boxing many times and was well known for voicing his opinions that were often critical of the sport. Not only was he good at rubbing people up the wrong way, but a controversial dc over national treasure Henry Cooper, sent Bugner's popularity into freefall.

Comment

Ricky Hatton and Marco Antonio Barrera have been pals since Barrera's second fight with Morales, and Marco was in Town to support Ricky against Maussa in Sheffield, Barrera by this time knew that Ricky Hatton loved a drink after a fight but he was to get a bit of a shock. Barrera went off to bed around midnight so Hatton said goodnight and told him he would see him in the morning. And he did.
                Barrera strolled down stairs to the bar at 7:30 in the morning only to find Ricky and his pals still sitting there totally steaming! None of them had been to bed. Barrera could not believe it lol, Hatton told him "Ur not in Mexico now ur in the far north, drinking capital of the world!"

Pretty gutting actually, i was at the fight and the tickets we got were part of a package where u got to go for a meal and an auction prior to the fight but me and my mates were already pissed when we arrived in Sheffield and had no where to stay! So we went lookin for somewhere to crash and by then it was cutting it too close so we thought **** it and hit the pubs instead but the guy infront of me at the fight told me he went and it was amazing, he then pulled out his camera full of pics with Barrera! Gutted! Nobody said the Great Marco Antonio Barrera would be there!

Comment

Jack Chase, his live-in girlfriend, and Aaron “Tiger Wade were sitting in a bar on Fillmore Street in San Francisco the night after Christmas 1943. Just before midnight, Chase shot Wade in the left shoulder with a .32 caliber pistol. All three, including Wade, said it was an accident. Chase had reached in his pocket for cigarettes and somehow the gun fell out of his shirt, hit the table, and went off. Or so the story went. The police confiscated the gun and noticed that the serial numbers had been filed off. Chase was arrested and charged. It was his third setback, the third time he sat in a jail cell.

Comment

I lurk in the History section from time to time. As I love the history of this great sport, and you guys are extremely knowledgable. I rated this thread 5 stars. It is a classic thread. Thank you all for the added knowledge. I'll green as many of you as I can.

Comment

I greened everybody on this page, and have ran out of green for the next 24. I'll be back to hit those I've missed with Green.

Comment

Working...
                      X