No announcement yet.

Who is the LEAST hated fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Many people thought Tunney aloof and also held it against him he didn't fight a black fighter.

Heres my theory on why Tunney gets a pass not fighting blacks.

The whites Tunney beat, were better than the best black fighters of the time. (Dempsey, Greb)

The whites Dempsey beat were all worse than Harry Wills. So it kind of puts a ??? on jack's whole career.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyZagz View Post
      Heres my theory on why Tunney gets a pass not fighting blacks.

The whites Tunney beat, were better than the best black fighters of the time. (Dempsey, Greb)

The whites Dempsey beat were all worse than Harry Wills. So it kind of puts a ??? on jack's whole career.
      Ridiculous. Dempsey had an excellent, excellent career. He fought several outstanding fighters, & barring Tunney, bested them all. Wills would've made a handsome scalp, but to say the absence of his name puts a, "???" on his whole career would be news to historians & fans everywhere, most of whom can make room for Dempsey in their top-10 of all-time for the division.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
        Ridiculous. Dempsey had an excellent, excellent career. He fought several outstanding fighters, & barring Tunney, bested them all. Wills would've made a handsome scalp, but to say the absence of his name puts a, "???" on his whole career would be news to historians & fans everywhere, most of whom can make room for Dempsey in their top-10 of all-time for the division.
        I have Dempsey ranked high as #6 and I despise swarmers. But answer this one question:

Were any of the guys Dempsey beat better than Harry Wills?

Comment

Quite arguably, yes. Wills, by any measure, certainly was not clearly & undisputably better than anyone Dempsey fought.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
            Quite arguably, yes. Wills, by any measure, certainly was not clearly & undisputably better than anyone Dempsey fought.
            Would you rank anyone on Dempsey's resume ahead of Wills all-time?
            Wills won something like 40 straight fights during Dempsey's title reign. No one else other than Tunney had that kind of run.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyZagz View Post
              Ali has a fair share of haters on boxingscene.

Smelling salts, African poison, nation of Islam....He may actually be the most hated non-active fighter.
              Nah, thats gotta go to Prince Naseem

Comment

Working...
              X