Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Foreman always lose to Ali?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Ali had only fought Frazier the once, would we all be on here now saying Ali could never have beaten Frazier, how Joe always had his number etc? I'd rather see top fighters fight several times before I decided one could never beat the other. Ezzard Charles went 5-0 against Joey Maxim, so I'd be happy to accept he had Maxim's number because he proved it over and over again.

The Rumble was a tough, close grueling fight where Ali came out on top, though at the cost of shipping some heavy punishment. Pacheco said as much in one of those Ali documentaries. Ali could have made a fortune from a Foreman rematch, yet to these eyes he was never particularly interested in meeting Foreman again and I always wondered why, especially as it was apparently an easy win for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid McCoy View Post
      If Ali had only fought Frazier the once, would we all be on here now saying Ali could never have beaten Frazier, how Joe always had his number etc? I'd rather see top fighters fight several times before I decided one could never beat the other. Ezzard Charles went 5-0 against Joey Maxim, so I'd be happy to accept he had Maxim's number because he proved it over and over again.

The Rumble was a tough, close grueling fight where Ali came out on top, though at the cost of shipping some heavy punishment. Pacheco said as much in one of those Ali documentaries. Ali could have made a fortune from a Foreman rematch, yet to these eyes he was never particularly interested in meeting Foreman again and I always wondered why, especially as it was apparently an easy win for him.
      Foreman was never in a position to fight Ali a second time

Comment

Funny how Foreman was never in a position to fight Ali but Richard Dunn, Chuck Wepner, Alfredo Evangelista, Joe Bugner and Jean-Pierre Coopman all were.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
          Foreman was never in a position to fight Ali a second time
          Foreman put an official advertisement in a magazine(forget which one) calling out Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
            Foreman put an official advertisement in a magazine(forget which one) calling out Ali.

Comment

95% of the time, yeah

he was 10 times the boxer foreman was. the only thing foreman had was his strength and punching power. ali picked him apart with his crisp combinations. technique beats strength and power all the time...nice quote by GSP

thats like trying to repeat tyson vs holyfield a 100 times. holyfield outboxed him but theres always that risk of tyson landing one of those big shots

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                he would have done that even after 10 more KO's

Comment

Originally posted by Bullrush View Post
                  95% of the time, yeah

he was 10 times the boxer foreman was. the only thing foreman had was his strength and punching power. ali picked him apart with his crisp combinations. technique beats strength and power all the time...nice quote by GSP

thats like trying to repeat tyson vs holyfield a 100 times. holyfield outboxed him but theres always that risk of tyson landing one of those big shots
                  Foreman had a very good jab and could box proved by his comeback fights but, he fought too fast early and wanted a KO. Which is why I think the older Foreman who fought at a steady pace would have a much better shot at Ali.

Comment

Some people had a past prime inactive Ali beating Frazier in FOTC. Not hard to imagine a Prime Ali beating Frazier.

Yes it was such a tough grueling fight that Ali knocked him out in 8 rounds.

Funny how Foreman was never in a position to fight Ali but Richard Dunn, Chuck Wepner, Alfredo Evangelista, Joe Bugner and Jean-Pierre Coopman all were.
                    Foreman came back in 1976. Ali fought Norton and Young that year. Norton went onto beat Larry Holmes according to some and Young went onto beat Foreman.

In 77 Ali fought Shavers and Evangelista both who went onto challenge Holmes. Foreman retired in 77.

Ali wanted a rematch with Frazier after FOTC. Instead Frazier defended his title against journeymen Terry daniels and Ron Strander. What did they do to deserve title shots. Meanwhile Ali was fighting much superior opposition.

George Foreman, Holmes and Lewis were all stripped of titles for refusing to fight number one contenders. Ali is the greatest of all time, he fought all the best fighters of his era.

Comment

Foreman was out of the game from after he lost to Ali up unto 1976 with Muhammad Ali fighting Wepner & Bugner during that time, Foreman came back and fought Ron Lyle looking shyte while Ali fought Coopman, Young & Dunn within a 3 months period, Ken Norton was the official No1 contender and Ali signed to fight him while Foreman took on Jimmy Young and lost..because Foreman shouted for a fight does not mean he should be given one.. Juan Manuel Marquez, Andre Berto & Shane Mosley are all calling for a fight with Manny Pacquiao.. Bernard Hopkins has just drawn with Pascal yet he won't get an immediate rematch and Foreman did not draw with Ali, he was knocked out.

Comment

Working...
                      X