History today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    As for the fights;

Moreno was incredible. And I wasn't at all suprised.

I knew Moreno would win and win big. He's so skilled, so slick, so versatile.

He has so much potential and other than Mayweather he is probably my favourite active fighter.

Round 8 it was an just incredible display. 7-12 was by far more dominant of a performance than any of the Bantamweight tornument.

Rodriguez-Wolak I thought would be closer but I felt Devlin would have the advantage this time because he has much more to give than Wolak. Wolak only fights one way and Devlin already knew how to deal with it. I felt he won their first fight anyway although obviously much closer.

Agbeko doesn't seem to know how to beat Mares. I picked him to beat Mares the first time but in the first fight it seemed to be that Mares had his number. Despite the low-blows.

John Murray did much much better than I expected. But, how much of that is to do with Rios' weight? I'm not sure.

It lasted much longer than I expected but the outcome was the same as I expected. Murray in a ****ing mess. Rios just does everything better than Murray. Literally everything.

And Cotto-Margarito, well, Margarito is obviously done. He's on his last legs and needs to think about retiring.

And the win doesn't do anything for Cotto in my book. He got his revenge and that's it.

To be honest, Cotto didn't really impress me that much. He still has overwhelming and glaring flaws.

But it was cool seeing Margarito take another deserving beating.

personally i'm quite glad to see chemito get a chance to shine in the states

vic has been one of my guys throughout the years and i have a ton of respect for him, but he was completely outclassed by a bigger man with a real deep bag of tricks

chemito is the real deal. he's also got the style and the size to move up in weight. he even looks like the type who might punch harder if he moves up, like mike jones or paul williams.

he's an easy boxer on the eyes, is moreno
    i could watch him turn the corner all night. you could see it in de la hoya's face in the ring after the fight. they are on to something with moreno. that's a tough nut to crack, a tall BW with defensive skills from the southpaw.

great work to the body
    showed a good chin when vic did connect. he put it all together for 12 rounds. that's a coming out party. it's too bad he's not a huge puncher and an american or he'd be looking at becoming a star over here.

i too wish i had put a bit down on moreno
    evidently the bookies had him as a sizable dog, lol. poor decision. styles make fights, bookies.

vic didnt have a chance in there.

i knew chemito was one of the best pure boxers in the world but i did not see a whitewashing like that coming. vic was even starting to get broken down by the end of things. if that had been 15 rounds he would have had a serious task ahead of him down the stretch

those body shots had some pop too
    more that for which i've given him credit, thats for sure!

Comment

• i'd like to see cotto and martinez schedule a throw down for about 157-58 lbs for the middleweight world championship

hell, i'd like to see it at 160, but who cares what i think.

i'm not saying that i thought cotto looked spectacular against margarito (which he certainly didnt)

i am saying that i think it's a nice fight at the weight.

and cotto, though likely outmatched, might have the style to give some problems to a martinez who i think might get a tad overrated

dont get me wrong, i think maravilla is a terrific fighter. i got a chance to see him live in CT. he's supremely talented.
      i do think that the effectiveness of his boxing might get overrated because of how spectacular his style might appear. maravilla is a terrific nickname for a fighter// talent like that

i think cotto's boxing sensibilities, as well as his jab, will let him at least keep from getting his doors blown off, if not find a way to time martinez and land some shots on him.

the stakes would be high
      you'd have cotto's chance to enhance his legacy with a win over a very good middleweight and win the legitimate championship of the world,
      and martinez chance to become a mainstream star with a win over cotto, especially via knockout

Edit:
      Evidently pawel wolak has retired
      i wish him luck
      Last edited by New England; 12-07-2011, 05:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
        i'd like to see cotto and martinez schedule a throw down for about 157-58 lbs for the middleweight world championship

hell, i'd like to see it at 160, but who cares what i think.

i'm not saying that i thought cotto looked spectacular against margarito (which he certainly didnt)

i am saying that i think it's a nice fight at the weight.

and cotto, though likely outmatched, might have the style to give some problems to a martinez who i think might get a tad overrated

dont get me wrong, i think maravilla is a terrific fighter. i got a chance to see him live in CT. he's supremely talented.
        i do think that the effectiveness of his boxing might get overrated because of how spectacular his style might appear. maravilla is a terrific nickname for a fighter// talent like that

i think cotto's boxing sensibilities, as well as his jab, will let him at least keep from getting his doors blown off, if not find a way to time martinez and land some shots on him.

the stakes would be high
        you'd have cotto's chance to enhance his legacy with a win over a very good middleweight and win the legitimate championship of the world,
        and martinez chance to become a mainstream star with a win over cotto, especially via knockout

Edit:
        Evidently pawel wolak has retired
        i wish him luck
        Im not crazy on the Sergio fight, Cotto is a STUMP of a JMW and could probably still do WW. If he does go for it though please do it at 160 - enough with the catch weight bull *****, i gave Miguel a pass last time out because it was against that cheater who ruined his career but if u are fighting for a title do it at the division limit or at least dont insist ur opponent weighs less than that limit....
        Still it IS a winnable fight and would come with serious credit. Style wise Cotto gives him trouble, BOXING i mean, not pressure fighting. Martinez would have to be the favourite though.

I Do fancy a Pacquaio rematch, again it would have to be at a sensible weight though. Last time Cotto was going through a rough patch and had no trainer. He showed he has the ability to hang with Manny early and late on when he got on his bike Pac was missing a fair bit and looking Very frustrated. Cotto who seems to have corrected a few mistakes and is in good form with high confidence would box Manny and win on points that is my belief. Pacquaio as great as he is, isnt all that when u give him angles and move a bit.

Other than Pacquaio there is Floyd. HUGE fight with EPIC rewards. Winnable? The least likely of the three mentioned. Cotto would have to patiently press forward behing the jab and work the body whenever possible. Its damn near impossible to pick against Mayweather though....

Kirkland, Ortiz/Berto, Alvarez, Khan, Williams ect ect - All Good fights, Alvarez being MY preferred option, he's a full JMW, a Champion, Undefeated, MEXICAN and credible.

There are many great fights out there for Miguel, Chavez not being one of them but i feel its the most likely!

Shame to hear Wolak is retired, im sure he will be back though! He's still full of fight! Game lil guy Wolak - very watchable.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
          Im not crazy on the Sergio fight, Cotto is a STUMP of a JMW and could probably still do WW. If he does go for it though please do it at 160 - enough with the catch weight bull *****, i gave Miguel a pass last time out because it was against that cheater who ruined his career but if u are fighting for a title do it at the division limit or at least dont insist ur opponent weighs less than that limit....
          Still it IS a winnable fight and would come with serious credit. Style wise Cotto gives him trouble, BOXING i mean, not pressure fighting. Martinez would have to be the favourite though.

I Do fancy a Pacquaio rematch, again it would have to be at a sensible weight though. Last time Cotto was going through a rough patch and had no trainer. He showed he has the ability to hang with Manny early and late on when he got on his bike Pac was missing a fair bit and looking Very frustrated. Cotto who seems to have corrected a few mistakes and is in good form with high confidence would box Manny and win on points that is my belief. Pacquaio as great as he is, isnt all that when u give him angles and move a bit.

Other than Pacquaio there is Floyd. HUGE fight with EPIC rewards. Winnable? The least likely of the three mentioned. Cotto would have to patiently press forward behing the jab and work the body whenever possible. Its damn near impossible to pick against Mayweather though....

Kirkland, Ortiz/Berto, Alvarez, Khan, Williams ect ect - All Good fights, Alvarez being MY preferred option, he's a full JMW, a Champion, Undefeated, MEXICAN and credible.

There are many great fights out there for Miguel, Chavez not being one of them but i feel its the most likely!

Shame to hear Wolak is retired, im sure he will be back though! He's still full of fight! Game lil guy Wolak - very watchable.

kirkland, canelo, ortiz, khan, unfortunately all fight for GBP, making them next to impossible. but i suppose they are almost as likely as arum shopping cotto out to get beat up by a lou dibella fighter unless he thinks he can win and get a good price // lowball martinez in a big ppv fight.

canelo and cotto would be just terrific, but it will never happen.

chavez jr is just too big. he looks like he walks around at 200 lbs. young, strong, hard punching kid. he'll win by virtue of his size

if cotto loses to martinez i'm certain that aspects other than the size will factor.
          the speed. i actually think sergio would try his hand at cutting off the ring!. and the southpaw stance and the space for the left hand down the middle between cotto's guard.
          and if cotto wins it will be a serious display. martinez has never been in the ring with a boxer like miguel cotto before. even dzinziruk gave him some issues and marked him up with his boxing skills. and he's no more than a jr MW even now, who cant pop like cotto.

that being said, you are absolutely right. cotto is a blown up WW.

however, martinez had basically a full career as a ww/jrmw before moving up to 159 in his first fight with williams (christ i love that fight)
          and then 157 when he iced williams in the rematch (159 in the pavlik fight in between)

he's the best MW in the world, but i dont think he's of an insurmountable size for cotto. lou dibella claimed on leave it in the ring radio that sergio could "probably" make 154 to fight floyd mayweather or manny pacquiao, but he was only speculating.

the more i think about it the less sense it makes for bob arum, unless he thinks cotto can get a gift decision or really bank the PPV's and lowball martinez and clean up. and i do think cotto would lose, likely via stoppage in the late rounds.

but i know he'd put leather on martinez pretty face, which as tough as he has proven to be, he does not like and do well with dealing with it.
          he doesn't take punches well physically. his resolve remains strong. he stays on his feet, but that grill his wasnt built to get punched.

and what the hell, i'd love to see cotto get a shot at the LEGIT mw world championship. that would be a feather in his cap and his biggest win if he could pull it off.

all of this of course stems from the fact that i dont care to see manny fight cotto again. cotto basically tucked his tail after the second knockdown. i cant watch that fight past five rounds and wouldnt care to see any more of it.

edit :and i'd LOVE to see cotto and mayweather throw down. it would just be a good looking boxing match
          two great boxers.

its a shame cotto didnt get a shot at mayweather at WW in his prime

Comment

• Eh. This Seth Mitchell guy looks fairly promising. I look forward to seeing him again.

With the deductions I had it 113-112 Peterson. I don't really mind too much because Khan is one cocky mother****er and got the reality check he needs, that he isn't the well loved "King". I also tend to appreciate and analyze body shots twice as much as a normal guy and Lamont was doin work downstairs.

Anybody know what's up with the cancellation of the Cloud fight? I really wanted to see him fight.

My personal thought on Khan is that he is an annoying little biitch and an overconfident loudmouth PoS. But I try to be subjective.

Comment

• Brian Viloria defended his crown against a ranked #9 P4P fighter named Giovanni Segura by TKO in the 8th Round.

Viloria came in as the underdog but soundly and effectively defeated a game Segura. Viloria showed he can take a punch a dish out a punch.

His mentality right now is in win mode and that is a good place for him.

Right now, he should continue cementing his legacy in boxing as he is currently the third best "Filipino" boxer who in front are Manny Pacquiao and Nonito Donaire. However, just like Nonito Donaire, Brian Viloria is not just a Filipino but an American as well.

In terms of success for American boxing, I honestly believe that Brian Viloria is in the Top Ten of the best American boxers.

1). Floyd Mayweather
              - Bernard Hopkins
              - Andre Ward
              - Brandon Rios
              - Lamont Peterson
              - Nonito Donaire

10). Brian Viloria - we can argue occupies the 10th spot although can be higher in the list with a better analysis since it is 1:51 AM and I am half conscious doing this reporting.

Comment

• I didn't score the fight but I felt it was very close, especially with the deductions.

I thought Khan would get it but it easily could have gone either way.

I'm going to rewatch it tommorow and score it.

I also felt the deductions were absolutely necessary.

Comment

• I scored it 113-112 for Khan, but I was so relieved to see an HBO house fighter lose that I won't even complain.

Comment

• Khan vs Peterson

I scored it a draw personally but couldnt help but be happy for Lamont Peterson when he got the win! What a story! It meant so much to him and u could see that

Great fight too btw! Both guys fought well but Amir Khan really let himself down with his classlessness afterwards. Those deductions were spot on imo and he is actually lucky there wasnt a third! He fought a very close fight in his opponents backyard on the backfoot looking very flustered and uncomfortable doing so and was fouling, hence the deductions so a close points loss shouldnt be a big surprise and those comments from him with Merchant done him no favours.... He lost a fan in me.

Comment

• I'm so glad Lamont Peterson has a win like this, because he's always been underrated to me and he deserved it.

Now that he's thrust into the discussion at 140, I would LOVE to see Peterson fight Maidana or Matthysse. With his preference to fight inside, and the way those two come to fight, those are guaranteed FOTY candidates. I'm sure Khan will get his rematch first, but win or lose I hope Peterson can get a fight against one of those two.

Comment

Working...
                      X