No announcement yet.

History today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    [COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Tahoma"]If you want to talk about convenience my friend than lets talk about Floyd first deciding to slander Pacquiao and than ask for tests. It has always been a ploy to gain the advantage psychologically. Why not fight the fight the same way you fought every fight before that? You seem to want to put all the blame on Manny, but it was Floyd that initiated this witch hunt. When he finally does get what he asked for he wants no part of it, go figure.
    Wouldn't a good way to contrast that be just accept them without a peep? How do we know Floyd didn't plan for Pacqiauo to make a crying fuss over it (like he has) to gain the edge psychologically down the line?

If you think I want to put all the blame on Pacqiauo then evidently you haven't followed my stance very closely. I blame Floyd Mayweather for going on vacation in May of 2010, not Pacqiauo.

Maybe he does want it, maybe he doesn't. I'm not claiming he does or doesn't. What I'm saying, is; Had Pac simply accepted a simple drug test back in late 2009 and called Mayweather's 'bluff' we would have stone cold evidence for Floyd 'not wanting the fight' instead of speculation. But, he didn't he refused.

And that my friend, is a fact.

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    My biggest question is why doesn't anyone care about OSDT in any fighter but Pacquiao? Didn't Floyd say he was going to clean up boxing? Why no concern about other fighters being clean? Why are no other fighters being questioned?
    I don't really.

Would I like it? In an ideal world, yes.

Do I care if the drug testing goes away forever? No, not really.

But, if it is the sole roadblock for the fight not happening (which again we would have found out had he called Mayweather's bluff back in late 09) then I absolutely expect the best fighter in the world to 'just do it' if it means oh so much.

Not too much ask. Or so it seems.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      Talk me through when Mayweather should have fought Kosta Tszyu, please.

With Mayweather's choice of opponets available uring his 'retire' bull**** and slightly before that I still struggle to see how he could ever be considered a Top 15 ATG.

Mayweather could have pulled his weight alot more to make fights at 147 when he chose to retire but they wouldn't have enhanced his legacy that much.

Beating Pacquaio and the Middleweight Champion however, could.
      Sure they would. Cotto & Margarito where the #1 & #2 welterweights in the world and instead he waited until Margarito beat the life outta Cotto with plaster and when Shane beat the **** outta Margarito, and made fought 140lber Hatton instead, then waited til shane was another year older to fight him. At Shane's age every year is a huge difference.

But that pretty much was what I was saying, he had the potential to be argued as top 15 if he did everything he possibly could. That's what makes a top P4P ATG fighter, going above and beyond of what your expected or sometimes capable of doing. Making your unique among everybody else.

If he beat Cotto, Margarito, Mosley a lot earlier, then beat Pac & Martinez, I'd have a hard time not believing he should be argued among the 15 best to ever do it.

Comment

Wouldn't a good way to contrast that be just accept them without a peep? How do we know Floyd didn't plan for Pacqiauo to make a crying fuss over it (like he has) to gain the edge psychologically down the line?

If you think I want to put all the blame on Pacqiauo then evidently you haven't followed my stance very closely. I blame Floyd Mayweather for going on vacation in May of 2010, not Pacqiauo.

Maybe he does want it, maybe he doesn't. I'm not claiming he does or doesn't. What I'm saying, is; Had Pac simply accepted a simple drug test back in late 2009 and called Mayweather's 'bluff' we would have stone cold evidence for Floyd 'not wanting the fight' instead of speculation. But, he didn't he refused.

And that my friend, is a fact.

And at the same time if Floyd had never asked for something unheard of in boxing before on such an unprofessional way than we would have known if Pac really wanted the fight or not. No?

I don't really.

Would I like it? In an ideal world, yes.

Do I care if the drug testing goes away forever? No, not really.

But, if it is the sole roadblock for the fight not happening (which again we would have found out had he called Mayweather's bluff back in late 09) then I absolutely expect the best fighter in the world to 'just do it' if it means oh so much.

Not too much ask. Or so it seems.
        And I don't think its to much to ask the same of everyone instead of trying to alienate one. Sports are predicated on fairness where the same rules apply to EVERYBODY. Set the standard for everyone and Im all for it. Try to use it to pick people out individually and Im against it.

Im sorry my man, I respect you, but I don't think we're going to find much common ground here.

Comment

• Originally posted by led's baby mama View Post
          Sure they would. Cotto & Margarito where the #1 & #2 welterweights in the world and instead he waited until Margarito beat the life outta Cotto with plaster and when Shane beat the **** outta Margarito, and made fought 140lber Hatton instead, then waited til shane was another year older to fight him. At Shane's age every year is a huge difference.
          But Baldomir and Judah were #1 and #3 in the world when he fought them. So, rankings mean little in that case.\

Margarito and Cotto would have been good fights for his legacy but neither are HOF'ers and neither would elevate his legacy to that state.

Hatton was a fight the public wanted and the public got.

Originally posted by led's baby mama View Post
          But that pretty much was what I was saying, he had the potential to be argued as top 15 if he did everything he possibly could. That's what makes a top P4P ATG fighter, going above and beyond of what your expected or sometimes capable of doing. Making your unique among everybody else.
          I don't think he could.

Originally posted by led's baby mama View Post
          If he beat Cotto, Margarito, Mosley a lot earlier, then beat Pac & Martinez, I'd have a hard time not believing he should be argued among the 15 best to ever do it.
          If he beat all of those then maybe but only Margarito in 2006 and Pacqiauo in recne tyears ahve come remotely close to happening and that isn't all Mayweather's fault either.

You haven't talked me though when Mayweather should have foguth Kosta Tszyu like you suggested. Please, do.

Comment

[COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Tahoma"]And at the same time if Floyd had never asked for something unheard of in boxing before on such an unprofessional way than we would have known if Pac really wanted the fight or not. No?
            Absolutely. I haven't claimed Pac doesn't want the fight...

But, he did ask for them. Never happened before, ok. There's a first time for everything.

The point is and a big point at that, Pacqiauo turned down something that would either; Get the fight done or prove Mayweather doesn't want the fight.

My only wonder is why would someone turn down a win-win situation, which that most definitely is.

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
            And I don't think its to much to ask the same of everyone instead of trying to alienate one. Sports are predicated on fairness where the same rules apply to EVERYBODY. Set the standard for everyone and Im all for it. Try to use it to pick people out individually and Im against it.

Im sorry my man, I respect you, but I don't think we're going to find much common ground here.
            I'm not really for it, either. Like I said, I won't care if drug testing goes away forever. Wouldn't bother me.

But by God would I like it to be accepted without a fuss if it's the sole roadblock for a fight that will define an era.

But that's just me.

Comment

I'm not really for it, either. Like I said, I won't care if drug testing goes away forever. Wouldn't bother me.

But by God would I like it to be accepted without a fuss if it's the sole roadblock for a fight that will define an era.

But that's just me.

And I was wrong again! We have found some common ground on this.

Comment

• "I know this is a current event, but I want to hear the classic's thoughts on this fight. There are way too many idiots over on the regular section to get objective answers."

This was posted by grandpabernard and moved here. Opinion?

Comment

"I know this is a current event, but I want to hear the classic's thoughts on this fight. There are way too many idiots over on the regular section to get objective answers."

This was posted by grandpabernard and moved here. Opinion?
                  I think he has come to the right place because the regular posters of the history section are generally the more levelheaded and intelligent group of posters. I mean there are debates and arguments like above but they are played out using logic and reasoning while retaining respect for the opinion of your "opponent".

I also love how he called us "the classics". Made my day.

Comment

• On this day in 1963 Emile Griffith regained his undisputed welterweight title with a decision over Luis Manuel Rodriguez. Rodriguez had taken the crown from Griffith 3 months before.

Comment

• Jab whats your opinion on the current drug-testing in boxing? Do you think it should be improved?

Comment

Working...
                      X