No announcement yet.

Worst one sided beatdown...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
    Burley & Langford was both excellent fighters but they was not universally recognised as P4P the No1 as that Mantle goes to Ray Robinson which is a point you argued and disagreed on.
    No one is universally recognised as p4p #1. Robinson is the one most people say though I happen to think there are others who also have a strong case.

Radamacher was the Olympic champion and fought Patterson in his first pro fight so was coming into the fight "undefeated"...
    Rademacher had never had a pro fight before so he was also winless. Imagine if Lewis gave a title shot to Audley Harrison on his pro debut.

For you to claim that Tyson & Holyfield when they fought Lewis was not "Has-Beens" is ridiculous, Tyson was champion 16yrs previous to fighting Lewis, losing his title 14yrs previous to fighting Lewis and losing to Holyfield 6yrs previous to fighting Lewis as well as serving several lengthy prison sentences during that 14yr period before fighting Lewis... Holyfield had been a pro fighter for 15yrs before fighting Lewis and had suffered defeats as well as having heart problems and was at the tail-end of his career, to claim otherwise is incorrect and untrue as fight-fans the world over witnessed his slide.
    In his next fight "has-been" Holyfield beat John Ruiz, the #1 WBA contender who you think Lewis was ducking like the plague. Funny that you don't consider that Lewis a "has been" even though he's younger than Tyson or for losing to Rahman at age 36 or having a hard fight with Klitschko at age 37.

As evidence you can put up a link or go to google news archives and put up the newspaper or other source which you read Muhammad Ali ducked a rematch with Foreman or you can tell me where it was you read that he ducked foreman as i have 1000s of books and ****zines which to check out your allegation...

In today's boxing world champions can pick and choose who they fight and when they fight them but back in the 1970s champions had a time limit deadline put on them by the two governing bodies the WBC & WBA and they had to fight the No1 contender within that deadline or they was stripped of the title unlike today, So if George Foreman was the number one contender then Ali would have had to fight a rematch with him otherwise he would have been stripped of the title. Foreman lost to Jimmy Young in March 1977 then announced his retirement from the sport yet Muhammad Ali was undisputed champion from October 1974-February 1978 so it is clear Foreman was never in a position to fight Muhammad Ali or force Ali to fight him by being ranked as the No1 contender... you claim the WBC ordered Ali to face Foreman then provide a link to back-up your claim.
    The WBC's order for Ali to face Foreman:

http://news.google.co.uk/newspapers?...eman+ali&hl=en

Now, why were Dunn, Evangelista, Coopman and Wepner deserving of a title shot but not Foreman?

Comment

Originally posted by Kid McCoy View Post
      No one is universally recognised as p4p #1. Robinson is the one most people say though I happen to think there are others who also have a strong case.

Rademacher had never had a pro fight before so he was also winless. Imagine if Lewis gave a title shot to Audley Harrison on his pro debut.

In his next fight "has-been" Holyfield beat John Ruiz, the #1 WBA contender who you think Lewis was ducking like the plague. Funny that you don't consider that Lewis a "has been" even though he's younger than Tyson or for losing to Rahman at age 36 or having a hard fight with Klitschko at age 37.

The WBC's order for Ali to face Foreman:

http://news.google.co.uk/newspapers?...eman+ali&hl=en

Now, why were Dunn, Evangelista, Coopman and Wepner deserving of a title shot but not Foreman?
      why dont you make a official complaint to the family of Floyd Patterson and Pete Rademacher and tell them that you are pissed off about them fighting for the title in 1957 instead of burning my flucking head out about it, i did not promote the fight or have anything to do with the fight but you keep going on as if i did.. i stated Rademacher was "undefeated" which he was... i like how you have now thrown Audley Harrison into your argument yet ignored me when i asked you if you would be complaining if Lennox Lewis was to have defended his title against Felix Savon... a fight if which was mooted would have broke PPV records.

Sugar Ray Robinson:

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/USAToday...n&pqatl=google

http://news.google.co.uk/newspapers?...or+pound&hl=en

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/newsday/...7&pqatl=google

http://news.google.co.uk/newspapers?...all+time&hl=en

That link you put up is meaningless, it does not claim or show that Muhammad Ali ducked a rematch with Foreman, all it shows is two governing bodies ratings with one have Ken Norton their No1 contender and the other having Foreman their No1 contender... Ali had signed to fight Norton did you want him to cancel that fight and instead fight a guy he had already knocked out in 8rds?.... i want to see proof of your claim that Muhammad Ali ducked Foreman

Comment

why dont you make a official complaint to the family of Floyd Patterson and Pete Rademacher and tell them that you are pissed off about them fighting for the title in 1957 instead of burning my flucking head out about it, i did not promote the fight or have anything to do with the fight but you keep going on as if i did.. i stated Rademacher was "undefeated" which he was... i like how you have now thrown Audley Harrison into your argument yet ignored me when i asked you if you would be complaining if Lennox Lewis was to have defended his title against Felix Savon... a fight if which was mooted would have broke PPV records.
        If you'd only accepted at the start that it was a joke fight instead of trying to justify it as part of your attempts to tear down Lewis, I wouldn't have mentioned it again. I said I would have criticised Lewis if he fought Savon or any other amateur fighter, and so would you. Loudly.

That link you put up is meaningless, it does not claim or show that Muhammad Ali ducked a rematch with Foreman, all it shows is two governing bodies ratings with one have Ken Norton their No1 contender and the other having Foreman their No1 contender... Ali had signed to fight Norton did you want him to cancel that fight and instead fight a guy he had already knocked out in 8rds?.... i want to see proof of your claim that Muhammad Ali ducked Foreman
        What good is proof when you ignore everything I say? The WBC ordered Ali to make his next title defence after Norton against their #1 contender Foreman. That's a fact. He didn't, despite there being big money offers for the fight, Foreman himself calling for it and the fact that undeserving fighters like Evangelista, Dunn, Coopman etc were all given title shots ahead of him in that period. You make of all that what you will. In my opinion, he could have fought Foreman had he wanted the fight; there was certainly the money, demand, opportunity etc and it was a bigger fight than many he was taking, but I don't think he did, so it didn't happen.

Comment

If you'd only accepted at the start that it was a joke fight instead of trying to justify it as part of your attempts to tear down Lewis, I wouldn't have mentioned it again. I said I would have criticised Lewis if he fought Savon or any other amateur fighter, and so would you. Loudly.

What good is proof when you ignore everything I say? The WBC ordered Ali to make his next title defence after Norton against their #1 contender Foreman. That's a fact. He didn't, despite there being big money offers for the fight, Foreman himself calling for it and the fact that undeserving fighters like Evangelista, Dunn, Coopman etc were all given title shots ahead of him in that period. You make of all that what you will. In my opinion, he could have fought Foreman had he wanted the fight; there was certainly the money, demand, opportunity etc and it was a bigger fight than many he was taking, but I don't think he did, so it didn't happen.
          Muhammad Ali had signed to fight the WBA No1 contender Ken Norton with the fight taking place 28.9.76 George Foreman fought and lost to Jimmy Young on 17.3.77 with Muhammad Ali not fighting his next opponent after Norton until 16.5.77 so Foreman's loss to Young and his retirement meant a rematch was not possible.. Muhammad Ali never ducked any fighter. i will accept a case of Ali could have fought Foreman in a rematch but not that he should have or that he ducked Foreman because that is not a correct interpretation of the facts.

And don't forget that the WBA was the oldest least corrupt of the governing bodies back in those days

Comment

Muhammad Ali had signed to fight the WBA No1 contender Ken Norton with the fight taking place 28.9.76 George Foreman fought and lost to Jimmy Young on 17.3.77 with Muhammad Ali not fighting his next opponent after Norton until 16.5.77 so Foreman's loss to Young and his retirement meant a rematch was not possible.. Muhammad Ali never ducked any fighter. i will accept a case of Ali could have fought Foreman in a rematch but not that he should have or that he ducked Foreman because that is not a correct interpretation of the facts.

And don't forget that the WBA was the oldest least corrupt of the governing bodies back in those days
            It's splitting hairs arguing whether the WBC or the WBA are worse. Both are bad. Ali signed to fight Norton and was told he had three months to meet Foreman next. Foreman vs Young happened six months later. Ali's response was something like "I'm bigger than boxing and won't be told who to fight", retired again and then after Foreman retired popped up fighting the unrated Evangelista.

I don't think Foreman would have got a rematch even if he'd beaten Young. Norton was the #1 contender after Foreman's retirement, beat Young in a title eliminator and the WBC repeatedly ordered Ali to fight him, but that didn't happen either. Ali probably would have retired again or found someone else to fight, like when his next opponent after Norton-Young was Spinks. Like I said, from 64-75 Ali didn't duck anyone. After that point he was picking his fights carefully, imo.

Comment

It's splitting hairs arguing whether the WBC or the WBA are worse. Both are bad. Ali signed to fight Norton and was told he had three months to meet Foreman next. Foreman vs Young happened six months later. Ali's response was something like "I'm bigger than boxing and won't be told who to fight", retired again and then after Foreman retired popped up fighting the unrated Evangelista.

I don't think Foreman would have got a rematch even if he'd beaten Young. Norton was the #1 contender after Foreman's retirement, beat Young in a title eliminator and the WBC repeatedly ordered Ali to fight him, but that didn't happen either. Ali probably would have retired again or found someone else to fight, like when his next opponent after Norton-Young was Spinks. Like I said, from 64-75 Ali didn't duck anyone. After that point he was picking his fights carefully, imo.
              Has anyone really worked out the timeline for this? If I recall correctly Foreman took around a year off after Zaire which narrows the window for when I rematch might have occured :thinking9:

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                Has anyone really worked out the timeline for this? If I recall correctly Foreman took around a year off after Zaire which narrows the window for when I rematch might have occured :thinking9:

Poet
                Foreman was inactive until January 1976 when he fought Lyle. I don't see why he couldn't have filled in for Dunn or Coopman that year or in early 1977 when Evangelista must have been in the pipeline for Ali around the time Foreman was negotiating with Young. This isn't meant to be a major downer on Ali. I still think he's one of the two greatest heavyweights ever. Just a little bugbear I have.

Comment

Foreman was inactive until January 1976 when he fought Lyle. I don't see why he couldn't have filled in for Dunn or Coopman that year or in early 1977 when Evangelista must have been in the pipeline for Ali around the time Foreman was negotiating with Young. This isn't meant to be a major downer on Ali. I still think he's one of the two greatest heavyweights ever. Just a little bugbear I have.
                  So he is...and whilst on it I do believe Ali ducked Bobick. If someone wants to know more about it he is welcome.

Kid personally I think you ought to know something by now. Use your logic elsewhere. Where you are using now(Poet ignore this please), it won't cut up.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
                    So he is...and whilst on it I do believe Ali ducked Bobick. If someone wants to know more about it he is welcome.

Kid personally I think you ought to know something by now. Use your logic elsewhere. Where you are using now(Poet ignore this please), it won't cut up.
                    PMSL!!!!! :hahahaha9:

Comment

Originally posted by Bullconner
                      Cooney-Norton. After a few blows it was over for spook norton.
                      Reported for racism :loser9:

Comment

Working...
                      X