No announcement yet.

The myth of Roberto Duran being an exciting fighter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The myth of Roberto Duran being an exciting fighter

Never understood this one myself.I could count perhaps ten of his fights that I'd deem watchable - the vast majority of those would come after his prime too.

So many of his fights,as a lightweight in particular are such a wild mess that it's difficult to actually follow.Duran's supporters will tell you how underrated technically he is - and while it's true that he was able to mix his defense well with offense - it certainly wasn't pleasing to watch.So much smothered work and holding involved in these fights - devoid of consistent clean punching.

I'm perhaps in a minority,but I never enjoyed his first fight with Sugar Ray Leonard,either - for reason's stated above.He's generally regarded as this great in-fighter when in actual truth his inside work is inferior to a far more technically sound Julio Cesar Chavez - who's work was entirely clean and didn't require holding and what not.

That's not say he was like this his entire career,however.As he got older,and a little slower,his work was alot cleaner and his technique stood out a little more.The Davey Moore fight,for example,was a pretty thrilling one-sided fight.It's true that Duran poked him in the eye,thus impairing Moore's vision early on in the fight.But one cannot deny that he looked brilliant in this fight - showing excellent technique and great composure in breaking down the bigger man.

I don't mind the clinching because he's actually working off the clinches, not just holding. Also he was a lot faster as a lightweight. It's just that the likes of Viruet and Fernandez were spoilers that weren't easy to look exciting against.

Leonard-Duran I was a brilliant fight. What Chavez did may have been cleaner but it certainly wasn't more effective.

Comment

i think id have to disagree about roberto not being an exciting fighter
      i am a massive chavez fan and although im notsure on the outcome of duran chavez that IMO would be an interesting thread id have to rate duran higher p4p overall

Comment

Comment

i mean 106 fights 70 knouckouts to me sounds like an exciting fighter to me taking into account he lost 16 times so in 90 wins he won 70 by KO, and fought for over 30 years as well as moving up from lightweiht to middleweight that KO record is pretty impressive and to me a KO artist 99% of the time has to make for an incredibly excitinboxer

Comment

Bait thread: Good candidate for deletion by mod.

Poet

Comment

I mostly agree, except I enjoyed both Duran/Leonard fights. I saw the Davey Moore fight recently and it was a hell of a job by Duran.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                Bait thread: Good candidate for deletion by mod.

Poet
                I don't really agree....

People do have a right to freedom of speech.

The way I do it is, if you at least come to explain where you are coming from.. even if it is against popular belief or general consensus, if you at least give effort to explain your side, where you are coming from, and why you feel the way you feel.. then I think you have the right.

If he came out and said:

Title: Duran is boring

Body: Why would anyone watch this guy? He sucks and is boring bwahahaha

That kind of crap should be taken down...

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
                  I don't really agree....

People do have a right to freedom of speech.

The way I do it is, if you at least come to explain where you are coming from.. even if it is against popular belief or general consensus, if you at least give effort to explain your side, where you are coming from, and why you feel the way you feel.. then I think you have the right.

If he came out and said:

Title: Duran is boring

Body: Why would anyone watch this guy? He sucks and is boring bwahahaha

That kind of crap should be taken down...
                  Poop is just testing the waters with me as we have argued about Duran many times. But Im not going to delete every little thing I don't agree with because I don't like a particular poster. EVERYONE has the right to post here.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                    Poop is just testing the waters with me as we have argued about Duran many times. But Im not going to delete every little thing I don't agree with because I don't like a particular poster. EVERYONE has the right to post here.
                    Yes..

You should see BatTheMan's 25 paragraph thread of Roy Jones being the biggest ducker ever...

But he listed all the fighters, and why he felt Roy ducked them...

As long as he was willing to explain himself... then he has that right..

Comment

Working...
                    X