No announcement yet.

The Black Murderers Row

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
    Thought you was only arguing about Ray ducking him once he had the title which would make more sense, but anyway back to OP.

Armstrong and Zivic was in no rush to fight Burley, Williams or Cocoa Kid either.
    Yeah, it's a shame, really. Burley was very humble, in the end, and didn't hold any sort of grudge against Robinson.

He was just a fantastic fighter who couldn't get that big shot.

Comment

Originally posted by the unknown View Post
      Yeah, it's a shame, really. Burley was very humble, in the end, and didn't hold any sort of grudge against Robinson.

He was just a fantastic fighter who couldn't get that big shot.
      Yeah Burley was a really classy guy, it's a shame that he and the rest of BMR didn't get their chance, particularly Holman Willams and Eddie Booker.

One of my favourite lines from
      "The Life and Hard Times of an Uncrowned Champion" is
      "When God asked us 'Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?', I guess I didn't raise my hand fast enough".

I think it speaks volumes about the kind of person he was, he seemed to be very fond of Ray and somewhat idolize him despite never giving him the title shot.

Comment

I wont say Sugar Ray ducked him , but yeah I believe he didnot want any part of Charley Burley.

And I may be forgetting someone but I think the Black murders row consisted of
        Charley Burley, Eddie Booker, Jack Chase, Lloyd Marshall, Joe Carter and Charley Banks.

Marshall was a great talent with victories over Burley and Ezzard charles ( who had beaten Moore, Burley, Eddie Booker) . But he was said to have a mediocre chin.

Ross, Armstrong and Zivic were champions when Holman Williams was champ (one of the other great black fighters of that era) it is worth noting if he was avoided too. Holman has a great resume along with the compliment of Futch to be along with BUrley the two greatest fighters he ever saw.

Just looking into his resume intrigues me. He beat Lloyd Marshall, Charles Burley, cocoa Kid, Archie Moore,Eddie Booker,Bert Lytell and Bob Satterfield . Lost to Lamotta and Cerdan towards the end of his career. Great fighter never gets the respect he deserves.

Comment

And as for everyone bashing Ray...Zivic's team apparently brought Burley's contract. He had lost to Burley two out of three times and went on to beat Armstrong for the title...Are we saying he would have fought BUrley...Burley was most probably sidelined and with that contract.

Moore said only a few fighters could make him box out of his system and Burley was one.

Comment

Working...
          X