Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roy Jones vs Montell Griffin I: Eddie futch is a genius

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Futch did lay out a good gameplan, what the OP described was basically Griffin's style but Futch had him stay patient and frustrate Jones, Griffin was a very good defensive fighter at his best and he managed to evade a lot of Jones' shots but you could see Jones was beginning to figure it out in the mid rounds and ultimately hurt Griffin, he just got overanxious, I think he would've stopped Griffin or maybe went on to win a clear decision had he not gotten ******.

Comment

Originally posted by -LightsOut- View Post
      If you watch Jones-Grfiin I, you can see that Jones had basically figured him out by around round 7

What are you talking about?
      Don't remember which fights exactly . The sure thing is I haven't seen them for months now.
      Havent watched it so I cant comment
      But I did . :yep:
      What are you talking about?
      Seriously. Are we discussing Roy Levester Jones here , or not ?
      With gone over this already ,

You need to have some evidence of negotiations before you can accuse a fighter of ducking someone
      All I know is he never fought McClellan , Liles , Littles , Benn , Eubanks , Michalczewski (couldn't they fight on some neutral ground ?) , prime Calzaghe (whom was even more of a barnstormer himself) , Steve Collins and many more.
      This is the bottom line.
      Yep he used steroids

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
        Futch did lay out a good gameplan, what the OP described was basically Griffin's style but Futch had him stay patient and frustrate Jones, Griffin was a very good defensive fighter at his best and he managed to evade a lot of Jones' shots but you could see Jones was beginning to figure it out in the mid rounds and ultimately hurt Griffin, he just got overanxious,
        I agree. He was starting to find the range for his straight rights, he was also throwing left hooks to Griffin's body instead of just aiming at his head.
        Originally posted by Silencers View Post
        I think he would've stopped Griffin or maybe went on to win a clear decision had he not gotten ******.
        lol. I think Griffin would of made it out of that round, after that, who knows? Would Futch be able to give him any advice to salvage the fight and would Griffin follow it? Who knows

Comment

Originally posted by frankenfrank View Post
          All I know is he never fought McClellan , Liles , Littles , Benn , Eubanks , Michalczewski (couldn't they fight on some neutral ground ?) , prime Calzaghe (whom was even more of a barnstormer himself) , Steve Collins and many more.
          This is the bottom line.
          Its obvious why most of those fights didn't happen (think Berto-Cotto)

Joe Calzaghe(1999):
          Dibella, who as chief of the network to which Jones is contracted, would have to okay such a deal, said in a telephone conference: "There would be little or no interest in Collins v Jones in America. Collins has not fought in a year and a half and although he was a very good champion there would not be a great deal of interest in him in America at the moment. If he wants to fight someone else before Roy Jones then interest may pick up.
          "I would like to see Collins fight Joe Calzaghe, who holds Collins' former super middleweight crown. Calzaghe is an exciting fighter, whom we have earmarked to fight Roy Jones at some stage. At the moment Reggie Johnson, the IBF light heavyweight champion, is the one who I feel most deserves a shot at Jones. However, if Collins was to fight Calazaghe possibly on a Jones undercard, then the winner could meet Jones in their next contest," said Dibella.
          http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer.../15/fshead.htm
          "I could probably give Jones a tough fight, probably the best fight he's ever had," said Calzaghe. "But I know my capabilities and unless I got paid the crown ***els I wouldn't want to risk it."
          http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/...-honest-joe.do

Comment

I agree. He was starting to find the range for his straight rights, he was also throwing left hooks to Griffin's body instead of just aiming at his head.

lol. I think Griffin would of made it out of that round, after that, who knows? Would Futch be able to give him any advice to salvage the fight and would Griffin follow it? Who knows
            Yeah, we'll never know. I personally think Griffin basically fought as good as he could have fought in the first few rounds but you never know, he might have been able to make some adjustments and further frustrate Jones.

Comment

Working...
            X