Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

These Fellow Fighters Are Greater Than Bernard Hopkins!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JerseySugar View Post
    Why? Jeffires beat the greater fighters and really should be unbeaten. His only lost is to Jack Johnson after a 6 year layoff, were got bullied to come out of retirement. Unlike Hopkins, Jeffries never got his title reign ended by a so so fighter in Jermain Taylor either and never got his title took off him.
    He wouldn't have had to come out of retirement had he fought Johnson or any other black contenders while he was champion. Jeff's longevity is also a huge question mark. He beat some excellent fighters yes, but he never proved he was more than a shooting star. Hopkins has been amongst the best fighters in whatever division he has been fighting in for the better part of two decades.

Sanchez beat 3 Hall Of Famers, made 9 defences of his WBC Title and never lost the title. Again never got his title reign ended by a so so fighter in Jermain Taylor. And never lost his title.
    He was also dead at what 23 or 24? There is no proof he could have sustained his greatness as long as Hop has either. Not to mention Nard had more than twice as many defenses and will have more HOF names on his resume in a few years when more are eligible.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
      He was also dead at what 23 or 24? There is no proof he could have sustained his greatness as long as Hop has either. Not to mention Nard had more than twice as many defenses and will have more HOF names on his resume in a few years when more are eligible.
      Gomez came up from super bantamweight and Nelson was a prospect with only thirteen fights too. Fairly comparable to the Trinidad/DLH combo when weighed imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Tengoshi View Post
        Gomez came up from super bantamweight and Nelson was a prospect with only thirteen fights too. Fairly comparable to the Trinidad/DLH combo when weighed imo.

I would agree about Hoya moving up to fight Hop, but not Tito. Trinidad proved he was a top fighter at 160 with his destruction of Joppy. Any way you look at it though Sanchez just doesn't have the longevity. Maybe he would have gone on and had a more impressive career had he lived. Unfortunately that isn't the case and Hopkins has had the longer, more distinguished career.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

I would agree about Hoya moving up to fight Hop, but not Tito. Trinidad proved he was a top fighter at 160 with his destruction of Joppy. Any way you look at it though Sanchez just doesn't have the longevity. Maybe he would have gone on and had a more impressive career had he lived. Unfortunately that isn't the case and Hopkins has had the longer, more distinguished career.
          Sanchez was planning on retiring when he was 25 to become a doctor, or so he said, he would of never had the longevity of Hopkins.
          Just thought I'd mention it.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
            Sanchez was planning on retiring when he was 25 to become a doctor, or so he said, he would of never had the longevity of Hopkins.
            Just thought I'd mention it.

That like the rest of his career would have remained to be seen. Lots of fighters plan on leaving by a certain time or while on top but few ever do.

Thank you for that tid bit of info though, I hadn't known that before.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw Great View Post
              Jimmy McLarnin
              Michael Spinks
              Salvador Sanchez
              James J. Jeffries
              Terry McGovern

True story.
              no .......................

Comment

Originally posted by oaklandstephen View Post
                no .......................

Jimmy McLarnin and Micheal Spinks certainly are in my opinion. An argument can be made as to who is greater between Hop and McGovern though.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw Great View Post
                  Jimmy McLarnin
                  Michael Spinks
                  Salvador Sanchez
                  James J. Jeffries
                  Terry McGovern

True story.
                  Yes I think so, only Salvadore Sanchez had yet to reach Hopkins's level, and that is due to an untimely death... McLarnin is unquestionably greater.... Jeffries is a many times greater fighter,... he is arguably the greatest ever heavyweight,... at least that's what most of the old-timers believed,.. I rate him higher than Dempsey,... McGovern is also greater than Hopkins but I think Hopkins is at least as great as Spinks......... But it's Jeff, and Jimmy that are the greatest names here.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
                    Yes I think so, only Salvadore Sanchez had yet to reach Hopkins's level, and that is due to an untimely death... McLarnin is unquestionably greater.... Jeffries is a many times greater fighter,... he is arguably the greatest ever heavyweight,... at least that's what most of the old-timers believed,.. I rate him higher than Dempsey,... McGovern is also greater than Hopkins but I think Hopkins is at least as great as Spinks......... But it's Jeff, and Jimmy that are the greatest names here.

He's not even close to that. And it's not arguable.

Comment

I don't know about all the prehistoric fighters but Hopkins=Sanchez>>>Spinks

Comment

Working...
                      X