Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who do you regard as the best referee from this list?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I expect everyone's opinion, but i changed on Bayless. I use to think he was quite good; liked his work on Jones-Tarver 1. But i don't like him in the pac fights. For example, he always gives fighters low blow warnings even when they are not low-how many times have you seen him warn Pac? Another example in the second Pac-JMM fight in Round 8 Pac is bleeding like Hell from a punch to the eye; not a headbutt. Yet he won't bring Pac to the ring physician to examine it. Yet one or two rounds later JMM is bleeing much less he brings JMM to the doctor. Well imagine if the ring doc in RD 8 said Pac's cut is dangerous stop the fight, than JMM wins by TKO.

Don't get me wrong, I thought JMM blew that fight, he needed to be like a shark around meat and finish pac off in Rd 8 as he couldn't see from the eye and admitted after the fight. BTW, that bloody F*king cutman Chavez did a hell of a job in saving pac's eye on that fight.

Joe Cortez has done both good and jobs as Richard Steele. Cortez did a great job in the first pac-jmm fight by not doing a premature stoppage. Same thing with Steele in the camacho-chavez fight, many refs would have stopped the beating earlier. Cortez didn't give Camacho a DQ for excessive holding in the Trindad fight, i mean it was wall to wall clinching and holding.

Carlos Padilla has some great moments as the thrilla in manilla and Duran-SRL 1, but at old age he became erratic. For example, take a look at Pac vs Hussein. Hussein was a bad undefeated Mother F trained by Jeff Fenech. Pac is pinoy and Padilla is pinoy, now look at what happens in Round 4?????? Hussein drops the mighty Pac with one stiff jab and he crumbles to the floor, padilla gives a slow count and when pac gets up-hussein comes in for the kill. But Pac keeps holding Hussein and wont let go- Padilla gives little effort in seperating them so Hussein comes in with an elbow to get the pinoy off him, but than Padilla in front of his people and fellow countrymen fighter takes a point away from Hussein giving more time for Pac to recover.

Hussein will later foul and fight a dirty fight, but it can't change what happened in Round 4.

I hear the Red K coming from *******s as i write.

Comment

Good list of refs. Mills Lane definetly deserves the proper respect; but I'll cast my vote with Arthur Mercante Sr. He refereed throught 4 decades and did a fine job.

Comment

Mills Lane was one the ATG referees. But these days, I gotta go with Bayless. He picks the perfect time to stop fights and always on top of clinches and other rough stuff. He's very quick.

I like Smoger and Tony Weeks as well. Not sure what happened to Cortez. He used to be decent.

Steele gets a lot of **** for the Taylor-Chavez stoppage and he was booed for years following that fight. But he really is a great ref and it's a shame he'll always be remember for the Taylor stoppage. But then again, only hardcore fans pay attention to referees. Steele got a lot of exposure, although I am sure it wasn't the kind he appreciates.

Comment

The best referee is the one you don't notice but out of that list i'd plump for Mercante Sr

Comment

who ever voted for Cortez is ******ed, Bayless is where it's at. Also the ref that ref'd the Cotto, Yuri fight was on point.

Comment

Originally posted by BOXING 24/7 View Post
              who ever voted for Cortez is ******ed, Bayless is where it's at. Also the ref that ref'd the Cotto, Yuri fight was on point.
              That was Arthur Mercante Jr. and I thought so as well, he's a very good ref. I voted for Mercante Sr. The only ones from that list I'm not too big on are Cortez, just average IMO and Steele, because of his premature stoppages in Chavez/Taylor 1 and Tyson/Ruddock 1.

Comment

Working...
              X