Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Do think Was Tyson's biggest win

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spinks and Holmes are probably the best names on his resume, but the two wins against Ruddock are his best IMO.

Comment

Tyson had some good wins, but no great wins. His best two, when you really look at it, were quite overrated wins. A terrified Spinks who was never close to being a natural HW, and Holmes, whose form coming into the fight was W0 L2, and Tyson was his third loss in a row. Tyson came close to his best win against Danny "the Brixton Bomber" Williams, but Williams ultimately proved to be slightly too good for prime Mike. Nash out.
      Willie Pep 229 Willie Pep 229 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash out View Post
        Tyson had some good wins, but no great wins. His best two, when you really look at it, were quite overrated wins. A terrified Spinks who was never close to being a natural HW, and Holmes, whose form coming into the fight was W0 L2, and Tyson was his third loss in a row. Tyson came close to his best win against Danny "the Brixton Bomber" Williams, but Williams ultimately proved to be slightly too good for prime Mike. Nash out.
        By being extended 12 rounds by both Tucker and Smith (both of whom BTW were better than remembered IMO) back to back showed us that he was beatable, and then Douglas did it.

The Spinks fight made us slip momentarily back into the delusion that he was unbeatable, the delusion Tucker and Smith had already warned us not to believe, and then came Douglas.

I agree there really are not any great wins, dependant on how good Berbick was. Maybe that was his greatest domination of a title holder.

Nash out Nash out likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

By being extended 12 rounds by both Tucker and Smith (both of whom BTW were better than remembered IMO) back to back showed us that he was beatable, and then Douglas did it.

The Spinks fight made us slip momentarily back into the delusion that he was unbeatable, the delusion Tucker and Smith had already warned us not to believe, and then came Douglas.

I agree there really are not any great wins, dependant on how good Berbick was. Maybe that was his greatest domination of a title holder.

- - Surely you haven't fallen into the delusion of a slugger being unable to KO an opponent means he must be a loser.

Is that the way you treat boxers when they KO someone, that they must be beatable?

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- - Surely you haven't fallen into the delusion of a slugger being unable to KO an opponent means he must be a loser.

Is that the way you treat boxers when they KO someone, that they must be beatable?
            I recognize the bias you speak of and. I am possibly gulity. But you must admit is was different with Tyson (in the beginning) we weren't just calling him a KO slugger (conventual wisdom thought) he was the greatest fighter of the century and we expected everyone to fold in just a few rounds.

I never meant to say that Tucker and Smith won the fight, which I realize you're not saying' - but I also wasn't saying thst he disappointed in those fights either.

What I was trying to convey was the Tucker and Smith surviving the distance with him changed the way he was perceived by his opponents. It helped to discredit the 'he's unbeatable' delusion.

The first step to someone beating Tyson had to come first with someone lasting the distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

I recognize the bias you speak of and. I am possibly gulity. But you must admit is was different with Tyson (in the beginning) we weren't just calling him a KO slugger (conventual wisdom thought) he was the greatest fighter of the century and we expected everyone to fold in just a few rounds.

I never meant to say that Tucker and Smith won the fight, which I realize you're not saying' - but I also wasn't saying thst he disappointed in those fights either.

What I was trying to convey was the Tucker and Smith surviving the distance with him changed the way he was perceived by his opponents. It helped to discredit the 'he's unbeatable' delusion.

The first step to someone beating Tyson had to come first with someone lasting the distance.
              - - Coulda come wif Berbick KOing a green,underaged kid, or Spinks jinxing him with no distance needed nor accolades given for Mike.

But they didn't is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth until King and Givens got their fangs into him.

Comment

Spinks because it made Tyson lineal. Berbick just made Tyson a belt holder. Tucker made him undisputed.

Comment

Originally posted by marvdave View Post
                  his biggest win as far as professionally was probably Spinks becuase of all the attention. In my opinion his most impressive win was against Razor Ruddock becuase he took alot of shots and came back when in a little trouble. Ruddock wasn't afraid like most when they stepped in the ring.
                  I could not agree more. It's the only hard fight he ever won. Ruddock was a one arm fighter. Big left hook. I story I heard is that he broke his right hand 4 times.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbig1 View Post

I could not agree more. It's the only hard fight he ever won. Ruddock was a one arm fighter. Big left hook. I story I heard is that he broke his right hand 4 times.
                    Broken right hand? Is that in the first fight or rematch? I heard Ruddock had a broken jaw in the rematch too and Tyson gave Razor credit for his hard punching saying he hits "so hard."

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post

Broken right hand? Is that in the first fight or rematch? I heard Ruddock had a broken jaw in the rematch too and Tyson gave Razor credit for his hard punching saying he hits "so hard."
                      He did suffer a broken jaw. Ruddock didn't break his hand in either fight. Ruddock broke his right hand so many times that he because a one arm fighter for many of his fights.

Comment

Working...
                      X