No announcement yet.

Jersey Joe Walcott thread.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jersey Joe Walcott thread.

I love this guy. Anybody who appreciates Jersey Joe as much as I do, please post whatever information that you may have on him. Links, photos, fights, whatever. It would be much appreciated.

Here is one contribution: In the late thirties Jersey Joe KO'd Holman Williams. IN the fifties he knocked out 'Phil' Holman, the latter's son.

Pretty cool little tidbit I thought.

Great fighter! Knew ever trick in the book and some that weren't in the book.

Poet

Comment

Stylistically Jersey Joe is one of my favorite heavyweights ever. So graceful, so stylish. Great punch power in either hand, great movement and footwork, handspeed and combinations.

As a technician, Bernhard Hopkins, Roy Jones and James Toney cite him as an influence.

He was unlucky to have lost the first decision to Joe Louis and came so so close to beating Marciano were it not for that Suzie-Q.

I dont think we ever got to see a prime Walcott. Judging from his performances in his mid to late 30s he could have been amazing in his 20s were it not for the times.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
        Stylistically Jersey Joe is one of my favorite heavyweights ever. So graceful, so stylish. Great punch power in either hand, great movement and footwork, handspeed and combinations.

As a technician, Bernhard Hopkins, Roy Jones and James Toney cite him as an influence.

He was unlucky to have lost the first decision to Joe Louis and came so so close to beating Marciano were it not for that Suzie-Q.

I dont think we ever got to see a prime Walcott. Judging from his performances in his mid to late 30s he could have been amazing in his 20s were it not for the times.
        I've watched that fight so many times and it shocks me that Joe gassed out the way he did. Obviously a bit past prime, but if you notice he had a solid gameplan going into the fight and had won the first 3 rounds by pressing Rocky, and after the 4th or 5th seemed to slow down and Rocky was able to turn the fight into his kind of fight, and began to press Joe.

Such an amazing fight but after the first few rounds it was clear that Joe tried fighting a fight that he wasn't conditioned for. Just shows how great Rocky was.

Comment

One of my favorites, extremely technical.

Comment

Hi Carlos,

He was still a few rounds ahead going into the 13th though. But at age 37/38(which was considered ancient in those days) perhaps he did start a bit fast, his combinations were pretty dazzling early on for a guy that old.....not to mention knocking 'the Rock' down too.

But to be honest he sadly was never really able to hold an amazing punch.

Comment

I have never watched Marciano vs Walcott.

Comment

Woops! That fight makes many peoples top 10 for entertaining heavyweight title fights!!

See if you can watch the Big Fights Inc film of the fight. Its the best footage I've seen of it and looks terrific.

One of my favorite Walcott fights is the second fight with Joe Louis......ok Walcott loses by an 11th round KO but is absolutely masterful beforehand.

The sixth round title win over Charles is a goodie too! His lefthook / uppercut was superb and only travelled what seemed a few inches. De la Hoya had a similar punch, I think he used to call it his '45 punch'.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post

Neither one of them fights like him. each one with his style :
                  Bernard is extremely dirty , his main influences are Holyfield and Honeyghan .
                  Roy fights nothing like Walcott.
                  And James fights nothing like Walcott and uses much less slick footwork and is less opportunistic as he has less power to exploit opportunities , his win against Nunn was out of his nature.
                  Walcott floored Louis , Marciano and Charles of those I've seen and probably more in opportunistic countering , Toney uses more combination punching in his countering and less one punch bombs.
                  Toney is also more aggressive.
                  So while I can believe Toney saw some footage of him , no one of these 3 fights anything like Walcott , and I don't necessarily mean Toney is worse .

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Horton View Post
                    I have never watched Marciano vs Walcott.
                    They are 2 of the very few fights from that era that actually are there on youtube in their full length uncensored version.

Comment

Working...
                    X