Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jersey Joe Walcott thread.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha ha Obama, I should have said 'Hurricane Henry'. Of course 'Homicide Hank' was Mr Armstrong's other nickname. 'Hurricane Hank' was poor form.

Its getting late, but please hit me with a wet kipper if I start calling Cassius Ali 'The Greatest'. There I go again, senior moment! Ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
      Hi Frankenfrank,

When I say that Jones, Hopkins and Toney 'cite' Walcott as an 'influence' it is because I have seen/read interviews where these three fighters actually claim Walcott influenced their styles. I'm not just picking random fighters who I think fight a bit like Jersey Joe. Ha ha!

This does not mean that they are carbon copies of Jersey Joe, just that certain elements/moves may well have been studied, worked on or brought into their respective styles.

I can see elements of Jersey Joe's style in all of their games........hell I've studied all three of them for the best part of two decades. Remember....... Jones once had footwork, Toney once had a respectable waistline and Hopkins didn't always fight dirty.

All three of these fighters have been pound for pound amongst the best pound for pound boxers in the world and all have been fantastic orthodox technicians like Walcott.

As for the '45' punch.............. of course, many boxers use it, Oscar spoke proudly of how he used it in his style and Walcott was an excellent exponent of it too.
      Hopkins especially,larry merchant mentions this during calzaghe/hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
        Stylistically Jersey Joe is one of my favorite heavyweights ever. So graceful, so stylish. Great punch power in either hand, great movement and footwork, handspeed and combinations.

As a technician, Bernhard Hopkins, Roy Jones and James Toney cite him as an influence.

Both Toney and Hopkins fight using the "classical stance" like Walcott and Burley did. Toney's counter right is a variation of Walcotts (see Walcott-Louis I) and he uses similiar head movement at times.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
          Great fighter! Knew ever trick in the book and some that weren't in the book.

Poet
          I loved watching him turn as if to walk away from a shot and then suddenly turn back to you and pop you with a combo in the mouth. Anybody who says the fighters from yester year couldn't compete today have not been watching the fights available to them. Jersey Joe at 37 would have confused the hell out of any champ holding a belt right now. I am not saying he'd win against guys 70lbs or more heavier but he sure would have people flinching ducking at shots that haven't even been thrown. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Horton View Post
            I loved watching him turn as if to walk away from a shot and then suddenly turn back to you and pop you with a combo in the mouth. Anybody who says the fighters from yester year couldn't compete today have not been watching the fights available to them. Jersey Joe at 37 would have confused the hell out of any champ holding a belt right now. I am not saying he'd win against guys 70lbs or more heavier but he sure would have people flinching ducking at shots that haven't even been thrown. lol
            Walcott's one of my favorites to watch. Anytime I see one of his old fights available for download I snatch right away

Poet

Comment

Working...
            X