Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lennox Lewis vs Earnie Shavers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shavers really wasn't that good besides the power. Jerry Quarry, Ron Stander, and Tex Cobb all stopped him. Quarry was the only one of those three who resembled anything close to a great fighter. He gets a lot of credit for being the hardest puncher of all time but Lewis fought plenty of guys who could have taken him out with one punch. I see Lewis either outboxing and knocking out the glass chinned Shavers, or making a stupid mistake and getting KO'ed with one shot himself. More likely, it would be the former.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Achilles
      Shavers really wasn't that good besides the power. Jerry Quarry, Ron Stander, and Tex Cobb all stopped him. Quarry was the only one of those three who resembled anything close to a great fighter. He gets a lot of credit for being the hardest puncher of all time but Lewis fought plenty of guys who could have taken him out with one punch. I see Lewis either outboxing and knocking out the glass chinned Shavers, or making a stupid mistake and getting KO'ed with one shot himself. More likely, it would be the former.
      Did you see the way that Shavers demolished Norton in round 1 though. That was very impresive.

Comment

I gotto give the nod to Lewis even though I'm no fan of his.

Lewis has a decent jab, but not good as Holmes by far, by far. The jab was great with the hold after the jab when opponents approach to counter it and the occasional right hand. I guess boxing got so desperate we allow fighters to hold all fight long.

I have no problem watching fighters hold once in awhile or hold to gain his legs after he's hurt. I can't stand how guys can clinch all fight and get no warning or points deducted after warnings.

Comment

Originally posted by McKay
          Did you see the way that Shavers demolished Norton in round 1 though. That was very impresive.
          You should see his uppercut on Ellis. Ellis looked like he was going into death spasms.

Comment

Lol, If Shavers hits harder than Foreman I wouldn't doubt that those WERE death spasms :P

Very edgyish fight, if either one makes mistakes its game over, Shavers gets put down by a flurry, Lewis by one devestating punch that tears his head clean off! Interesting Fantasy Fight you got here

Comment

Originally posted by Imira View Post
              15 rounds. Who wins?

Neither one of these guys can take a very good punch.

I pick Lewis by 10th round stoppage. He's too fundamentally sound for Shavers and his punches are more accurate.
              Lewis in about 7 or 8.

Comment

Shavers never won the big one.....

Comment

both easily have the power to KO the other with one punch!

lewis would be very causcious early on, he would let earnie get tired than KO him late

Comment

Originally posted by Imira View Post
                    15 rounds. Who wins?

Neither one of these guys can take a very good punch.

I pick Lewis by 10th round stoppage. He's too fundamentally sound for Shavers and his punches are more accurate.
                    - -Be foolish to bet on either, but like a history of tall fighters, they can be seriously beat by shorter, more awkward fighters and Lewie a couple of one punch KO losses

Comment

This thread is embarrassing in hindsight, I am glad 15 years later there is less ignorance about Lewis. One would have to be a dishonest fool to watch all of his fights against so many hard punchers and still try to pass him off as "glass chinned".

Comment

Working...
                      X