Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's Be Real, Floyd Mayweather Would've Beaten Sugar Ray Robinson If They Fought

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
    What's scary is (a) you're being serious, and (b) your DNA has the potential to be passed along.
    I can't have babies, my insides are all wrong.

In all seriousness, it can be problematic in comparing fighters from different eras in head-to-head matchups, but if we assume that both these guys were fighting at the same time, either then or now, thus having access to the same training methods, diets, suppliments, whatever, I'm going with Robinson in this, especially over 15 rounds. I think Floyd makes a fight of it, but looking at how they've performed against who they've faced, I see Robinson eventually getting to Floyd. I think Leonard might as well, although it'd be close I think.

Comment

robinson was every bit the boxer and technician that mayweather was

he's credited for outboxing WW's and MW's in multiples who are superior to any win that floyd has on his resume

and finally, robinson was a brutal offensive fighter
      he had bone breaking power in either hand
      he could knock a guy out moving backwards
      he's one of the hardest punchers to ever live.

floyd's a fantastic technician
      he really is

but ray robinson is universally recognised as the most complete fighter that has ever boxed.
      he had no flaws
      what's not registering?

floyd mayweather couldnt stop juan manuel marquez (and lord knows he tried.. if nothing else it makes better business sense to knock marquez out)
      he has average punching power
      he doesnt produce a high volume
      he's not a finisher. he wont open up until his opponent has no prayer, which in historic matchups, is a horrible plan

in other word's there's no way he stops robinson (stopped once in one of the most complete careers ever, in a lhw title fight of heat exhaustion against a hall of famer, in the 14th round, in a fight he was winning...)

i could continue
      but i dont need to!

floyd mayweather has very little chance whatsoever of beating robinson

for 40 million dollars, sugar ray robinson would fight (and likely beat via stoppage) sergio martinez, manny pacquiao, and then floyd mayweather, all in the same month or so
      Last edited by New England; 04-23-2011, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        robinson was every bit the boxer and technician that mayweather was

he's credited for outboxing WW's and MW's in multiples who are superior to any win that floyd has on his resume

and finally, robinson was a brutal offensive fighter
        he had bone breaking power in either hand
        he could knock a guy out moving backwards
        he's one of the hardest punchers to ever live.

floyd's a fantastic technician
        he really is

but ray robinson is universally recognised as the most complete fighter that has ever boxed.
        he had no flaws
        what's not registering?

floyd mayweather couldnt stop juan manuel marquez (and lord knows he tried.. if nothing else it makes better business sense to knock marquez out)
        he has average punching power
        he doesnt produce a high volume
        he's not a finisher. he wont open up until his opponent has no prayer, which in historic matchups, is a horrible plan

in other word's there's no way he stops robinson (stopped once in one of the most complete careers ever, in a lhw title fight of heat exhaustion against a hall of famer, in the 14th round, in a fight he was winning...)

i could continue
        but i dont need to!

floyd mayweather has very little chance whatsoever of beating robinson

for 40 million dollars, sugar ray robinson would fight (and likely beat via stoppage) sergio martinez, manny pacquiao, and then floyd mayweather, all in the same month or so
        Let's add the fact Robinson has arguablly the best chin of all time.

What does Floyd Mayweather do better than Ray Robinson?

Almost nothing. Maybe defending punches due to the fact he doesn't throw that many.

Ray Robinson has every advantage over Floyd Mayweather.

Let's not forget how much bigger and stronger Robinson is at WW compared to Floyd.

I love Floyd, he is by far my favourite active fighter and favourite fighter of the last era. But he is out of his league with Ray Robinson, utterly out of his leauge.

Comment

I love Money, he's my fave fighter but SRR is the closest to the complete boxer ever seen. Tremendous power, speed, combo punching, brilliant finisher, great heart. Etc.

Would be a classic. Favour SRR 60/40.

Just a note though, opinions are cool and all, but comparing people in any sport across eras is really odious and a bit pointless. SRR was the best at his time, as PBF is the best now. The rest as they say is speculative.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
            Seeing as how the only footage that exists of him is of him training, I'm guessing you're pulling this statement out of your butt.

What's scary is (a) you're being serious, and (b) your DNA has the potential to be passed along.
            Yeah it was just sparring and a ridiculous workout. If anyone today looked anything like that you would laugh til you pissed your pants. Some guys just cant do it past their time period and he's one of them.

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            What fights have you seen of Harry Greb?

So you're claiming Carlos Baldomir would beat Harry Greb?

Please, just no.
            None but if you have the footage thats gonna shut me up then Im open to it. The reality is you probably dont. Aside from that tell me how the Greb/Baldomir fight would go and maybe it will open my closed eyes. Because trying to tell me how he would beat anybody better from today just doesnt seem possible. I also have a better question. We dont have to come all the way to the present. Tell me he stands a chance of even competng against a SRR. Not winning just how could he keep from being carried out on a stretcher?

Let's add the fact Robinson has arguablly the best chin of all time.

What does Floyd Mayweather do better than Ray Robinson?

Almost nothing. Maybe defending punches due to the fact he doesn't throw that many.

Ray Robinson has every advantage over Floyd Mayweather.

Let's not forget how much bigger and stronger Robinson is at WW compared to Floyd.

I love Floyd, he is by far my favourite active fighter and favourite fighter of the last era. But he is out of his league with Ray Robinson, utterly out of his leauge.
            What is this belief that Floyd is a weak WW. You cant name one guy that bullied Floyd around the ring.

Comment

******s

Comment

Originally posted by studentofthegam View Post
                None but if you have the footage thats gonna shut me up then Im open to it. The reality is you probably dont. Aside from that tell me how the Greb/Baldomir fight would go and maybe it will open my closed eyes. Because trying to tell me how he would beat anybody better from today just doesnt seem possible. I also have a better question. We dont have to come all the way to the present. Tell me he stands a chance of even competng against a SRR. Not winning just how could he keep from being carried out on a stretcher?
                Your basing your opinion of Harry Greb on a sparring session? Imagine if you only had footage of Floyd Mayweather and Spadafora's sparring session.

How would Greb-Baldomir go? Well considering Greb is a natural MW and Baldomir's highest weight is Jr Middleweight, it wouldn't even be fair.

But, let's pretend Baldomir was part of the orginal 8.

How would it go? Erm, not very well for Baldomir... Greb has beat ATG fighters with ease with sheer ruthless agression that Baldomir could only dream of being a 10th as good as. He has beaten fighters with ease who are better than Baldomir in every single catergory.

What is your obsession with comparing great fighters to Carlos Baldomir? First Chavez and now Greb?

What is this belief that Floyd is a weak WW. You cant name one guy that bullied Floyd around the ring.
                Where did I say Floyd is weak at WW? Quote me, please.

Considering Ray Robinson, a natural LW, went on to hold his own with some of the strongest WW's and even MW's in the history of boxing. I'm sure he will be strong enough at WW for Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Comment

Its easy to see. After watching as much as I could of Harry Greb its laughable to think he could beat any top guys today. Considering the color line that was drawn in those days combined with that silly looking boxing style, I would be ashamed to even put him in a fantasy match against the likes of even Baldomir.
                  You're caught dead in a lie since there is no film of Greb fighting AND he routinely crossed the color line to take on the best black fighters available. You really know nothing of this sport son.

Comment

Your basing your opinion of Harry Greb on a sparring session? Imagine if you only had footage of Floyd Mayweather and Spadafora's sparring session.

How would Greb-Baldomir go? Well considering Greb is a natural MW and Baldomir's highest weight is Jr Middleweight, it wouldn't even be fair.

But, let's pretend Baldomir was part of the orginal 8.

How would it go? Erm, not very well for Baldomir... Greb has beat ATG fighters with ease with sheer ruthless agression that Baldomir could only dream of being a 10th as good as. He has beaten fighters with ease who are better than Baldomir in every single catergory.

What is your obsession with comparing great fighters to Carlos Baldomir? First Chavez and now Greb?

Where did I say Floyd is weak at WW? Quote me, please.

Considering Ray Robinson, a natural LW, went on to hold his own with some of the strongest WW's and even MW's in the history of boxing. I'm sure he will be strong enough at WW for Floyd Mayweather Jr.
                    I didnt compare Greb to Baldomir. I said he couldnt beat him. Thats not the same thing. You still didnt give me a short over view of how the fight would go. I'm not badgering you but maybe you've seen something from Greb I havent. Floyd's sparring looked world class. Grebs sparring looked like a bumble bee fight. If it is something better to see from him then point me in the direction.

To say SRR's strength is gonna put Floyd in a tight wouldnt be enough for him to win in my opinion. Brut strength is not the recipe to beat Floyd is all. He was able push those same guy's everybody thought could bully him.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                      You're caught dead in a lie since there is no film of Greb fighting AND he routinely crossed the color line to take on the best black fighters available. You really know nothing of this sport son.
                      Name the black fighter he fought thats worth a mention. And then you too tell me the Atg fighter today that wouldnt beat the **** out of him.

Comment

Working...
                      X