No announcement yet.

I dont get Harry Greb's boxing Record

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
    Re the win over Norfolk, I wonder why the IBHOF has it the other way around: "Norfolk dropped the “Human Windmill” in the first round and captured the 10 round newspaper decision"?

Does BoxRec, where the fight is listed as a win for Greb, have one group of historians/experts who votes in Greb's favour - while another group at IBHOF reaches the opposite conclusion (after reviewing the same newspaper reports, I presume)? Seems strange to me... and if the fight was that close, would a draw not be a fair result?
    I believe they had 2 fights with one win a piece.. Greb was Kd'd in their 1st fight but came back very strong in the 2nd half of the fight, coming close to stopping Norfolk.. The 2nd fight I believe Norfolk was winning, and Greb was DQ'd for fighting after the bell..

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
      I believe they had 2 fights with one win a piece.. Greb was Kd'd in their 1st fight but came back very strong in the 2nd half of the fight, coming close to stopping Norfolk.. The 2nd fight I believe Norfolk was winning, and Greb was DQ'd for fighting after the bell..
      Yes, they did indeed meet twice - with Norfolk winning the 2nd on a DQ, as you point out.

I'm talking about the first fight, where BoxRec and IBHOF can't agree on a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by The Hate Giver View Post
        Just looking at Harry Greb's record at boxrec & it has his record 103-8-3 draws then it has another set of record called NEWSPAPER DECISIONS:

157-12-15 draws.

What is that?

How can we accurately judge a fighter we have not seen fight?
        he looks terrible in his training and I think i've seen him spar. He may have been good in his day but nobody is going to convince me he'd beat Duran, Leonard etc

Harry Greb is the Bruce Lee of boxing, nobody has seen him fight yet he's p4p the greatest

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
          Yes, they did indeed meet twice - with Norfolk winning the 2nd on a DQ, as you point out.

I'm talking about the first fight, where BoxRec and IBHOF can't agree on a winner.
          I think the only person who can answer that is hhascup (Henry) because he works for BoxRec.. Sure he'll be about soon.. Good point though..

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
            he looks terrible in his training and I think i've seen him spar. He may have been good in his day but nobody is going to convince me he'd beat Duran, Leonard etc

Harry Greb is the Bruce Lee of boxing, nobody has seen him fight yet he's p4p the greatest
            It's a well documented fact that he hardly ever trained as he was fighting so much, he didn't need to..

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
              I think the only person who can answer that is hhascup (Henry) because he works for BoxRec.. Sure he'll be about soon.. Good point though..
              Yes, and since he's also on the IBHOF election committee, I'm kind of hoping he can cast some light on this.

Comment

It's sad that there is no real fight footage of Greb.

He looks really weird when sparring with Jack O'Brien. I wonder how his style really looked live.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post

Now that's a great line. EXCEPT lots of people saw Harry Greb fight. And lots of people who saw Greb fight also saw Slappy Maxy, Pep, Sandler and Robinson.

We have no film. We have no way to judge him. But 10s of thousands saw him including many writers, judges and trainers.

Comment

i have a big problem using word of mouth or written articles as a basis for judging greatness.

How could you differentiate & judge a fighter using words & a writers opinion? How could you differentiate if you dont have film footage? If film never existed how could you differentiate & ascertain a description like;

"willie pep had amazing reflexes", "roy jones jr had ungodly reflexes", "pernell whitakers reflexes were supernatural"

If film didnt exist. how could you differentiate & gauge which fighter had the greater reflexes?

That's just one example. I mean its not like writers are not prone to hyperbole. I just cant take seriously what man writes down on paper & make a conclusion based on that, especially something as visual as sports & boxing.

If you start doing that, horrible things happen.....

Like religion.
                    Last edited by The Hate Giver; 03-31-2010, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Hate Giver View Post
                      i have a big problem using word of mouth or written articles as a basis for judging greatness.

How could you differentiate & judge a fighter using words & a writers opinion? How could you differentiate if you dont have film footage? If film never existed how could you differentiate & ascertain a description like;

"willie pep had amazing reflexes", "roy jones jr had ungodly", "pernell whitakers reflexes were supernatural"

If film didnt exist. how could you differentiate & gauge which fighter had the greater reflexes?

That's just one example. I mean its not like writers are not prone to hyperbole. I just cant take seriously what man writes down on paper & make a conclusion based on that, especially something as visual as sports & boxing.

If you start doing that, horrible things happen.....

Like religion.
                      I 100% agree with you. Harry Greb is in the "I don't know" category. Surely he has to be ranked highly, he beat many HOF fighters. But how high do you rank him? Who knows? Regardless he deserves an honorable mention in whatever list you make.

Comment

Working...
                      X