Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most famous boxer ever?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having lived in Europe and Asia, Muhammad Ali would be first. A long way behind would be Tyson and a long way behind Tyson would be...well, they're so far behind it doesn't matter.

Those are the only two that have significantly crossed over into popular culture.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
      Who is the most famous of all time? There are a few boxers that everybody seems to know, and it seems like I hear Tyson's name everyday. Whether it be an old episode of fresh prince, a song, reference to him in a movie, or whatever.

Obviously he's my pick, what do you guys think, out of the 5 listed? If other, select that and explain.
      Ali, hands down. Once they did an international poll and he was one of the top 5 ppl known in the world. Everywhere he goes he is recognized

Comment

funny this is brought up. just yesterday, my land lady came by my place with her 3 year old daughter. i have a poster of ali just after the phantom punch up in my office. she saw it and lifted up her baby at it and said " look addy... thats muhammad ali. the greatest, most famous boxer ever." mind you... the lady is a mid 30's, 100lbs white woman teaching her daughter who ali is. never thought i'd see that happen. but it did. and it was cool. ALI FTW.

Comment

Originally posted by capt_sam View Post
          Not true.

No one then, or now, in South Asia knows who he is. Given that SA is 1/4 of humanity, it's a pretty big omission.

Not hugely well known in East Asia either.

Ali and Tyson are the only UNIVERSALLY known boxers.

What are basing that assumption on, because I know its not facts? Ali *****s all, but if there had been television, satellite and cable during the time Louis fought Tyson wouldn't even be in the discussion. Louis was in all likelihood the most popular athlete in the world at the outbreak of WWII. When he fought Scmeling the second time the whole world was interested, not just boxing fans. It was good vs evil. Considering he fought over 60 years ago his overall popularity is still very impressive. Had he fought in the 70's or later his popularity would only be surpassed by Ali.

South Asia. East Asia. Give me a break.

Comment

Originally posted by Cotto-Rulez View Post
            If you ask in their time it's different, i can't compare. It's like asing who was the biggest star between Lance Armstrong and Fausto Coppi. Hard to tell i wasn't there.
            Today Louis isn't known like the fighters of recent era's. Historically he'll be remembered more than almost all of them. Its silly to make comparisons without taking into consideration the time and technology of the era's these fighters fought in. People around the world know who Tyson is. With all todays technological advances did anywhere near 60 million people ever tune in for any of his fights? Radio is all they had during Louis' time and the entire world was on the edge of its seat. And while Ali is the most popular and polarizing figure in boxing history, I can say with confidence that no fighter was more popular for one fight at any time in history than Joe Louis when he fought Max the 2nd time.

Comment

Originally posted by Casual View Post
              I think Mike will get talked about alot more as year goes by, kids growing up are more lightly to know who Tyson is that bad boy who bites peoples ears off and was knocking people out for fun. Right now Ali is more popular among the older generations as time goes by Mike will be the most famous.

Mike will never be more famous than Ali. Ali hasn't fought in almost 30 years and he's still worshiped and talked about more than Tyson. There will be other fighters to come along like Mike. There will never be another Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                Mike will never be more famous than Ali. Ali hasn't fought in almost 30 years and he's still worshiped and talked about more than Tyson. There will be other fighters to come along like Mike. There will never be another Ali.
                Come'on, man. Be real.

If you went to some random people on the street and asked them to name a boxer, most of them would probably name Tyson. Even people who don't watch boxing know more about Tyson than Ali. He has more of a mystique about him.

Tyson is known for knocking out people in the first round and biting someone's ear off. What is Ali known for?

Comment

Ali, everyone knows him , even 25+ years after retiring, maybe everyone will know of tyson in 20 years but there is no way to know. After Ali, I would say Tyson, and then De la Hoya. Though Oscar has more ppv buys then Tyson.

Comment

Originally posted by bolopunchez View Post
                    Come'on, man. Be real.

If you went to some random people on the street and asked them to name a boxer, most of them would probably name Tyson. Even people who don't watch boxing know more about Tyson than Ali. He has more of a mystique about him.

Tyson is known for knocking out people in the first round and biting someone's ear off. What is Ali known for?
                    You're obviously very, very young and think the world revolves around everything that is common to your age group. If not that than you're very ignorant.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                      You're obviously very, very young and think the world revolves around everything that is common to your age group. If not that than you're very ignorant.
                      There's no need for that kind of disrespect. I didn't show that towards you, so don't show it towards me.

Go to YouTube, for example, and see which one of them has more video views. You probably already know the answer.

Among my friends and family, they all know who Tyson is more than they know Ali. They even think Tyson would knock out Ali and they're not boxing fans.

Ali remains one of the most popular boxers of all-time, but Tyson exceeded him.

Comment

Working...
                      X