Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Accomplished HW Lennox Lewis Or Joe Frazier?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
    This thread isn't about who would win if they fought each other, it's about who accomplished more :P.
    well it is a `no-brainer` as far as accomplishments, Frazier is the former ubdisputed Heavyweight Champion who won the greatest fight in the sports history and against the sports No1 fighter, "FIGHT OF THE CENTURY"...

Lewis won the undisputed title in his rematch against a washed-up Holyfield even tho 42 of 48 ringside reporters had Holyfield as the winner.... link below from Britains No1 fight publication.

http://www.boxing-monthly.co.uk/content/9912/one.htm

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
      well it is a `no-brainer` as far as accomplishments, Frazier is the former ubdisputed Heavyweight Champion who won the greatest fight in the sports history and against the sports No1 fighter, "FIGHT OF THE CENTURY"...

Lewis won the undisputed title in his rematch against a washed-up Holyfield even tho 42 of 48 ringside reporters had Holyfield as the winner.... link below from Britains No1 fight publication.

http://www.boxing-monthly.co.uk/content/9912/one.htm
      I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a no brainer, but as far as accomplishments are concerned, I'd go marginally with Frazier.. That was the worst beating Ali ever took in my opinion, and it gives Joe the nod on this one..

Comment

The guy who argued for Joe Frazier stated that Lennox Lewis fought in the weakest era in boxing history. Now, if he was confident in his argument, do you think he'd need to resort to such a ridiculous statement as that?

Frazier's victory against Ali is up there with the greatest ever accomplishments in heavyweight history, but he did lose four fights to Ali and Foreman after that. He was dominated so much by Foreman that it was depressing. It's hard to imagine Lewis being dominated by anyone and he was able to adjust his game when he needed to, in order to overcome every type of opponent he faced. Lewis worked out and beat everyone. That's the mark of an ATG ala Muhammad Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by Shazam! View Post
          The guy who argued for Joe Frazier stated that Lennox Lewis fought in the weakest era in boxing history. Now, if he was confident in his argument, do you think he'd need to resort to such a ridiculous statement as that?

Frazier's victory against Ali is up there with the greatest ever accomplishments in heavyweight history, but he did lose four fights to Ali and Foreman after that. He was dominated so much by Foreman that it was depressing. It's hard to imagine Lewis being dominated by anyone and he was able to adjust his game when he needed to, in order to overcome every type of opponent he faced. Lewis worked out and beat everyone. That's the mark of an ATG ala Muhammad Ali.
          Frazier lost twice to Ali & twice to Foreman.. he very nearly beat Muhammad Ali 3-0.. Foreman was a `Monster the likes of which we have never seen since`.. Frazier beat some great fighters during his reign in : Bonavena (twice), Quarry (twice), Ellis, Chuvalo, Mathis, Bugner, Mathis, Foster, Machen and many more.

Lewis fought a bunch of has-beens who was all on the slide and at the tail-end of their careers, along with a couple of over-hyped bums like Grant, Mavrovic, Botha, Butler, Fortune, Ruddock (damaged goods), Tucker (junkie), Tua, Bruno, Akinwande, Morrison (HIV), Jackson.. Lewis got poleaxed by Rahman & McCall two journeymen, The referee could have counted to 100 without Lewis beating the count..

Frazier was floored 6 times in 2rds by the Monsterous Foreman before being stopped on his feet, which showed the toughness and ability to take punches from the sports hardest ever puncher..

Rahman & McCall never again in their careers did they poleaxe an opponent in the way that Lewis went down, which is a clear sign that it was not the power of their punch but the weak whiskers of Lennox Lewis... Lewis always avoided big punchers his whole career in guys like, Whitherspoon, Bonecrusher, Sanders, Wlad Klitschko, Hide, Cooper, Bowe, Tyson (in 96)..

Smokin Joe Frazier is rated in the Top 10 of every Boxing historian & commentator who ever compiled a list.. Lennox Lewis barely makes anyones Top 20

Comment

Lewis had the longer reign but Frazier's run, while shorter was great. It depends on what you like to rank it on, a shorter but exemplary reign and run or a longer more lengthy reign that isn't as exemplary.
            Last edited by Silencers; 03-20-2010, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Lewis got poleaxed by Rahman & McCall two journeymen, The referee could have counted to 100 without Lewis beating the count..
              *Yawn* That must have been why Lennox got up on a 6 count?

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
                Lewis had the longer reign but Frazier's run, while shorter was great. It depends on what you like to rank it on, a shorter but exemplary reign and run or a longer more lengthy reign that isn't as exemplary.
                Lewis & Frazier was roughly the undisputed champion for around the same length of time.. Frazier fought the best opponents in Foreman, Quarry, Ali, Bonavena etc... Lewis avoided all the No1 contenders in Byrd (IBF), Ruiz (WBA) & Klitschko (WBC) so was stripped of every belt..

Comment

Originally posted by Shazam! View Post
                  *Yawn* That must have been why Lennox got up on a 6 count?
                  yeah... but was still out of it 10 minutes later and had to be helped down the ring steps, glassy eyed by his brother and handlers.. i know because i was there.

Comment

I would have to go with Frazier, its no shame losing to all time greats like Ali and Foreman. I think it also depends on how much you rate Lewis's wins over the like of past prime Holyfield and past prime Tyson, who were his best wins

Comment

Lewis & Frazier was roughly the undisputed champion for around the same length of time.. Frazier fought the best opponents in Foreman, Quarry, Ali, Bonavena etc... Lewis avoided all the No1 contenders in Byrd (IBF), Ruiz (WBA) & Klitschko (WBC) so was stripped of every belt..
                      I don't mean their undisputed title reigns, Frazier was at or neat the top of the heavyweight division for about 6 or 7 years, Lewis for about 10.

You really can't blame Lewis for not fighting those guys, it was rumored that Lewis offered a fight to Ruiz and Ruiz turned it down, Wlad lost to Purrity when he was groomed for fighting Lewis and I really don't hold it against Lewis for retiring instead of fighting Vitali again. And Byrd at the time wasn't as highly rated as he would become. Lewis fought almost every well rated heavyweight in the 90s and early 2000s.

Thinking over it again I'd give the edge to Frazier but I don't think there's really too much to pick between them.

Comment

Working...
                      X