Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is The Biggest ''Duck'' In The History Of Boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rolling Stone View Post
    more like $100 mil
    yes quite correct

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
      do you have a link for this as i am of the opinion that Robinson ducked no-one, i just cannot see why he would duck Burley, IMO it would be a piece-of-piss for him to beat Burley
      I've had a good look at all the links available on Burley and it's mainly majority opinion that many fighters incliuding Zale, LaMotta and Robinson all steered well clear of him.. In one link titled, The Mysterious Charley Burley, the author, who I haven't heard of, quotes a ringside conversation between Robinson and Futch, in which Robinson is supposed to have said, "Im far too pretty to be getting in there with Charley Burley." Although this could be hear-say, it is very strange that they never fought..
      The Cyber Boxing Zone also makes a point of stating Robinson's reluctance to get it on, but once again, I'm not sure on the credibility of the writer.. However, there's no smoke without fire and there's plenty of smoke here, so it would be nice to know, "Why didn't Ray Robinson fight Charley Burley?"..

Comment

Originally posted by DR.ORGYY View Post
        yea floyd ducking cotto was pretty bad......
        People seem to forget it was Cotto who ducked Floyd back at 140 lbs.

The whole point of the Bruseles fight was to get Cotto in the ring. Bruseles was Cotto's stable mate, and Cotto actually predicted Bruseles would win. After Mayweather completely destroyed Cotto, camp Cotto no longer had interest in the fight.

As for Floyd ducking him at 147, Cotto never even called him out. How do you duck someone who has expressed no personal interest to fight you?

These guys called Floyd out at 147:
        Margarito
        Williams
        Baldomir
        Hatton
        Clottey
        Mosley

Floyd will have fought 3 of the 6 shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post

The whole point of the Bruseles fight was to get Cotto in the ring. Bruseles was Cotto's stable mate, and Cotto actually predicted Bruseles would win. After Mayweather completely destroyed Cotto, camp Cotto no longer had interest in the fight.

As for Floyd ducking him at 147, Cotto never even called him out. How do you duck someone who has expressed no personal interest to fight you?

Margarito
          Williams
          Baldomir
          Hatton
          Clottey
          Mosley

And here I thought Hatton was at 140 when he called Floyd out.

Castillo fight, "you've just seen more action here in 4 rounds than in Floyd's whole career," ring any bells?

Mosley's heading for 39 and won't have been in the ring for almost a year and a half.

Baldomir? Are you kidding me?

Comment

Originally posted by £Hank$Moody€ View Post
            And here I thought Hatton was at 140 when he called Floyd out.

Castillo fight, "you've just seen more action here in 4 rounds than in Floyd's whole career," ring any bells?

Mosley's heading for 39 and won't have been in the ring for almost a year and a half.

Baldomir? Are you kidding me?
            I didn't say Hatton's last fight was at 147 when he called Mayweather out, I said he wanted him AT 147. Hatton wanted Floyd at 147 for the WW title, consequently having his JWW title to fall back on should he come up short. He never wanted Floyd at 140. In fact when Hatton beat Tszyu, Mayweather tried to get a fight with Ricky but his daddy said no.

What's the point of your comments about Mosley and Baldomir? All I did was list people who called Mayweather out for a WW showdown, they did. Mayweather fought / is fighting them. That's the bottom line.

Only 2 people Mayweather flat out ducked completely @ 147, and that's Williams and Clottey. Al Haymon doesn't want Williams and Mayweather fighting since he's their manager. And Clottey, no one even complains about Mayweather ducking him yet it's the only case he really has no defense for besides the money.

Comment

Margarito
              Williams
              Baldomir
              Hatton
              Clottey
              Mosley

Cotto has never ducked anyone. He has always said his next fight is up to his managers and promoters!!!! Cotto ducking away from any fight, has never happened my friend! SORRY

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                I've had a good look at all the links available on Burley and it's mainly majority opinion that many fighters incliuding Zale, LaMotta and Robinson all steered well clear of him.. In one link titled, The Mysterious Charley Burley, the author, who I haven't heard of, quotes a ringside conversation between Robinson and Futch, in which Robinson is supposed to have said, "Im far too pretty to be getting in there with Charley Burley." Although this could be hear-say, it is very strange that they never fought..
                The Cyber Boxing Zone also makes a point of stating Robinson's reluctance to get it on, but once again, I'm not sure on the credibility of the writer.. However, there's no smoke without fire and there's plenty of smoke here, so it would be nice to know, "Why didn't Ray Robinson fight Charley Burley?"..
                Both Robinson & Burley fought on a card in the Midwest, promoters wanted to build up some hype for it, but Robinson priced himself out. He originally wanted $25k, then doubled his demand to $50k.

Burley never blamed Ray, recognizing the business aspect of the sport, and expressed awe at how a great fighter Ray was. He said he would've done the same thing and avoided Ray if he were in that position because it wasn't worth the risk.

I started a thread awhile ago on this, it had Burley's exact quote from a book about him.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                  i go for Lewis `pricing himself out`of a Bowe fight in 93

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0eins2DhSo
                  No, Lewis didn't.

Off the top of my Head: Bernard Hopkins

Comment

Margarito
                    Williams
                    Baldomir
                    Hatton
                    Clottey
                    Mosley

this would probably hold water except for the fact that floyd himself said back then that cotto was too green. and the bruselles fight was the eliminator for the title shot at gatti. so if you can explain how after the wbc eliminator he would somehow fight the wbo champion, then your theory may have some credibility.

revisionist history is not based in fact

Comment

DLH-Winky. I don't blame Oscar in the least tho he had very good reasons to not want it.

Comment

Working...
                      X