Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is The Biggest ''Duck'' In The History Of Boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
    Cervantes had already lost to Benitez by the time Duran moved up from Lightweight.

Poet
    The fight was discussed when Duran was champ at 135 and Cervantes at 140.

No duck, simply Duran's management (Carlos Eleta) turning down the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
      It was WIDELY reported at the time that Lewis was asking for 10 Million which was an absurd ask in 93 dollars for a fighter in his position fighting for the Undisputed crown.

Would he have come down if Newman was serious about making a Lewis fight? Probably. I think the duck has become overblown because the conditions never materialized for that fight to come about after it didn't in early 93. Logically, it makes sense to have tried to make the highest risk fight worth the most reward. Bowe just wasn't pro enough to keep his ass out of Burger King or wherever long enough for that to happen.
      I remember following the day to day on goings of that fight and I never heard of that.

Also what people here dont realise is that Bowe was never Hiolyfields mandatory so Holyfield was under no obligation to fight him or even offer him a fair split. Razor Ruddock at the time was Holyfileds wbc mandatory and him and Lewis would fight to decide who would be the mandatory for the winner of Holyfield-Bowe.

Bowe won then offered Lewis who he was obliged to fight a measly 25/75 split with a clause that he would get a percentage of Lewis future purses if Lewis won. A ridicoulous clause which Lewis rightly turned down.

Comment

Originally posted by Levcon8686 View Post
        To be fair to De La Hoya, there are sources verifying this. Someone found a quote from Winky on the subject from years ago. Not word for word but something like ~ ''He offered us 8 million but we turned it down. I mean c'mon, he gives everyone else he fights 15!''

Winky may have been correct in that assessment but it would have been his biggest payday yet, so Oscar gets cut some slack imo.
        People forget that in boxing there are times when avoiding a high risk/low reward fighter is acceptable. Its not okay if you feel EVERY fight needs to be in your favor, but avoiding a dangerous fighter who brings little money to the table isnt a horrible thing if you're willing to fight another dangerous fighter for more money. DLHs track record speaks for itself and its impossible to feel the man is a "ducker", and not wanting to fight an awkward southpaw, with a great defense, who has a naturally spoiling style and bring little money to the table is understandable. It doesn't change the fact that I feel DLH wanted nothing to do with Winky though.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosseboi View Post
          I always resented Riddick Bowe ducking Lewis because I've always felt he was massively overated.
          I remember Bowe calling out Lewis many times. I think he actually got physical after a fight while lewis was commentating.

Comment

Working...
          X