Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Took More Risks In There Career, Roy Jones Jr Or Floyd Mayweather Jr?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agentsmith
    Well the first time I blame Jones, he was Benn's mandatory at the time. The second time as I quoted was neither of their fault, rather Don King's.

This third instance I don't know much about, where was it reported and where can I read up about it?
    Jones was a middleweight who fought over the limit several times. He and Hopkins were the top two contenders for the IBF crown, which is why they fought for it. Are you telling me that Jones was the mandatory for two belts in two different divisions simultaneously?

Finally, using your own "three instances" theory, you blame Jones for the fight not happening when he was a prospect yet are ignoring the other two times when he had a belt and Benn and his team were reluctant to make the fight--for whatever reason. Strange.

Comment

I can answer this question in two ways:
      Hopkins after 20 fights at SMW was in line for a shot at the IBF SMW title, I think Iran was the champ at the time, he dropped down and within one fight he was made Toney's no 1 contender for his IBF MW belt.
      What do you mean, was in line for a shot?

Jones had a number of fights at SMW catch weights about 5 or so, along the way he picked up the WBC SMW intercontental belt. So it seems the answer to your question is yes?
      Jones was never Benn's mandatory prior to picking up the middleweight title.

Comment

Jones picked up the vacant WBC Continental Americas super middleweight title when he beat Percy Harris in 1992
        Are you implying this made him a mandatory challenger or something? It doesn't, bro. Furthermore, Jones was considered a middle - yes he fought over the weight several times but he was never considered a super middle until he vacated his title. Even as a middleweight prospect, he was offered a chance to fight for the 154lb title. But he was at no point during that time a mandatory for a SMW title.

Comment

He must of been in line for a shot, how else did he become Toney mandatory with only about 1-2 fights at MW. Hopkins in a Ring Magazine said that he was Toney's Mandatory before Toney moved up. Its the Ring Magazine with Hopkins and Toney on the cover I think its the year 2003 issue.
          Because he got a shot at middle so quickly, you believe he must have been in line for a shot at 168? That is a lot of assuming!

Ill have to do some digging, ill get back to when I find something
          Good luck with that.

Comment

Don't contenders carry their ranking with them when they move divsions? Or are you saying that he enters the MW divison has no ranking whats so ever has 1-2 fights then is made the IBF no 1 contender?
            You don't carry your rankings with you when you move up or down. What you also don't understand is that a lot of the fights you're looking at on BOXREC were middleweight bouts where they agreed to fight over the limit. They counted nothing towards any SMW ranking . But they do to your MW ranking!
            In sure thats the the Pharoahs said when Imhotep wanted to build a Pyramid.
            Unfortunately for you, the difference here is that Jones was never a mandatory for a SMW title while he was a middleweight prospect.

Comment

Cool, learn something new everyday

But that means that the answer to my question was, Hopkins had no ranking at mw, but because he fought their twice he was made the IBF mandatory.
              Hopkins had fought at middle plenty of times. Like I said, those include all those over-the-weight bouts you saw on boxrec - those were middleweight bouts fought over the limit! He was the IBF middleweight #1 contender, actually. Jones was #2.

Comment

Hence, Mr. Smith, I think it's time you rethink your whole "Jones avoided Benn" theory. Especially since you have three instances (I remember only one) of when the fight could have happened and one never existed while the other two lie squarely on the shoulders of the opposite guy and his team.

Comment

Toney vs Hopkins would of been fun to see as well.
                  Where can I read about the Benn-Jones HBO offer?
                  I don't recall where you can read it. It was actually mentioned by HBO during one of Jones' bouts and also during an interview with him prior to that same bout (Brannon?). However, I have seen someone post Benn's comments on this, right here on boxingscene. This is where he mentions that he'd be willing to fight Roy for 10mil. Just run a search on Benn's name.

Comment

I have come across all kinds of Benn quotes and interviews here a lot posted by a guy called Juy Juy, but he never posts links or quotes sources, so I'm not sure if they are trustworthy.

Ive seen that Brannon prefight interview with Jim Lamphey, Ron Bourges and a couple of other guys and I'm not sure what to make of it.
                    Collins spend his whole career fighting in semi obscurity, his big chance came with the Benn and Eubank fights, I read a couple of his interviews as well, no way would he have turned down a decent offer by Roy. A fight with Roy would of been his first mega payday.

HBO cant have it both ways either on one hand they are saying other fighters have turned down offers the next they are calling him Reluctant Roy

Larry Merchant during Tarver II said," thats what happens when you avoid punchers."

Jim Lampley said during the intro of Jones Ruiz that," Jones is a fighter that doesn't like taking risks."

http://doghouseboxing.com/DHB/Cassell012409.htm

Asked why his resume does not include some names that should be on it, Jones said, “I had my reasons for doing what I was doing. I made (boxing) so delightful that you didn’t need to watch me fight another `name’ fighter. I could fight anybody. You knew when Roy Jones went into the ring he was going to do something spectacular. When (Kelly) Pavlik stepped into the ring with Bernard Hopkins, the people knew they were going to get a regular old fight. Now, when Roy comes, it’s going to be a show. Not only is he good and is going to beat the hell out of who he is fighting, but he is going to look good doing it.”

http://www.thesweetscience.com/boxin...-jones-legacy/
                    What are you getting at here? Specifically, what is the point you're trying to make?

Comment

The point I'm trying to make is that even the HBO guys change their story, which is why its so hard to know what really happen concerning anything.
                      Where did they change their story? Yes, during his LHW reign they were disappointed in certain decisions he made - specifically, turning down the Buster Douglas fight as well as the Vasily Jirov fight. But that in no way contradicts anything. Particularly, what occured at 168. Or did you think they were calling him a non-risk taker when he vacated his middleweight crown and moved up to challenge the undefeated 168 IBF champ, the man considered one of the three best in the world? You're grasping at straws here.

Comment

Working...
                      X