Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Took More Risks In There Career, Roy Jones Jr Or Floyd Mayweather Jr?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruiz while not all that good, was a natural HW and a true risk for Roy. Fights vs Toney and Tarver were big risks too.

But when people in NSB say Floyd never took risks they have no idea what they are talking about. The 6''0 puncher undefeated puncher Corrales, dominant relentless lightweight champ Castillo (who nearly beat Floyd the first time, but Floyd took the risk of rematching him) fighting good champ Hernandez in his first title fight, taking on the much bigger Oscar at 154- all these were risks that other fighters wouldn't have taken.

The way Floyd came up the ranks is the way it should be done. These days a lot of the prospects are matched vs the softest paper champ for their first title. Hernandez was a good fighter and a real champ.

Overall it is difficult to say who took more risks, but Roy taking on a natural HW weighing 193lbs probably edges it here.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
      I'm pretty sure Floyd was the favorite. But many people were picking Corrales.
      Thats what my thinking was. Floyd was favored, but Corrales was the fan favorite.

Comment

floyd moving up to fight castillo for the title when he had 41kos out of 44 wins he had at the time,was a big risk but rjj fighting toney was just as big aswell,id say about equal

Comment

It's hard to say. Floyd at 30-35 had an excellent. His run at 140 is unfortunately history.

People bash Jones run at 75, but I think it was very good, if not excellent. On the other hand at 60-68, he does not have much besides Hopkins and Jones. I don't think Hopkins was being perceived as a big risk back then btw, but I might be wrong.

All the other risks you guys are talking about now (Tarver and Ruiz), Roy was older than Floyd is now.

EDIT: to be clear, on average Mayweather had a better run, but Toney stands out on the resume more than anything else.

Comment

I favor Jones strongly. I am objective and speak as an observer but Mayweather left the risks at 130 lbs. I read in the forums last week an interesting comment, "Jose Luis Castillo was to Mayweather, like Rosario was to Camacho"

Comment

Originally posted by cooper5 View Post
              I favor Jones strongly. I am objective and speak as an observer but Mayweather left the risks at 130 lbs. I read in the forums last week an interesting comment, "Jose Luis Castillo was to Mayweather, like Rosario was to Camacho"
              That is an intriguing metaphor, except I did not see Camacho-Rosario 2.

Comment

Come on, Roy Jones won a heavyweight title and fought everyone in the division he stayed in most his career. Not to mention his career lately, even though it's gone bad.

A Roy Jones equivalent moving through the same divisions Floyd has doesn't take this long to start fighting welterweights, he has already beaten Cotto, Margarito, Mosley, and at least had a fight against Pac.

Comment

Originally posted by Agentsmith
                  Do you really believe that?
                  The LHW division is the one he stayed in primarily throughout his career. And he fought almost everyone there.

Comment

Originally posted by Agentsmith
                    Shame he didn't do that in all his other weight classes, Benn vs Jones was the fight I always wanted to see.
                    I would have liked to have seen it as well. Nevertheless, I don't believe it was Jones' fault. In fact, I'd say it was the other guy who seemed unwilling.

Comment

Benn turned down a career-high offer from HBO to fight and also quoted some ridiculous amounts ($10 mil). But even based on what you said, how do you possibly blame Jones?

Comment

Working...
                      X