Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Men Under 200lbs Could Compete Successfully V Todays Top Heavies?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ivich View Post
    Why did'
    Mike Spinks add 25lbs to his frame to challenge Holmes?

Evander Holyfield add 18 lbs to his frame to challenge Douglas?

Olexandr Usyk add 24lbs to his frame to challenge Joshua?
    1. Evander was gradually gaining weight before facing Douglas
    2. Usyk moved slowly (too slow for a man his height) toward the heavyweight division, so he also didn't put that weight for AJ in particular
    3. Spinks against Holmes - Spinks has been 79 kg. while Holmes 100 - the reason for gaining some weight is apparent but there is also a lower limit for a division to meet (also upper for all of them except heavyweight)
    I think that people between 185-195 cm. and around 105 kg. are quite big for the heavyweight division. We now have a bigger number of gigantic people involved in the sport than before. But I don't exclude someone around 90 kg. (200 lbs) to be successful as well. With the establishment of the Bridgerweight, I doubt we will see it.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post

yet if they stood beside eachother Alis head is twice as big, his voice twice as loud, and for all intents and purposes Ali was a heavyweight.

when Ali wouldnĂ¢ĂÂĂÂt train he would balloon to 235-240 even in his good years. This is because he is a heavyweight and his body wants food. Usyk needed drugs and weights to come in at 220, and he moves like trash - such a stiff tight fighter.

this is actually becoming such a stupid argument because the arguments against what I am saying are so incredibly weak. I get the feeling itâÂÂs just a matter of pride holding some posters back. Weight doesnâÂÂt mean that much because ANYONE can get heavy. We all could be heavier than Marciano if we wanted. The fact that you size kings dismiss so many other important factors is just because you watch fights with only one eye open and have already made up your mind.

Pacquiao was a featherweight beating up Jr middleweights. Why? Because he was a good fighter thats why, he used his speed to his advantage, and stamina from being a smaller man.

the reason we donâÂÂt see this anymore is because there arenâÂÂt any men around like Joe Louis or Marciano, both fine tuned human weapons who trained specifically to fight.

the fact that Fury is as rich as he is and looks the way he does is no excuse. Hes simply not working hard enough. He is carrying way too much weight on his frame that hes knock-kneed. Boxing just reflects the state of the the world. We got Joe Bidens as presidents, Macrons and johnsons. Just testament to the mediocre point in time civilization is at if strength and toughness is a virtue.
      Ali was 6'3" with an optimum fighting weight of 212lbs,as he aged he added weight as most of us do.
      Did Pacquiao beat Jnr middles whilst weighing in at featherweight,or did he add muscle weight to his frame? If the answer is the latter which we know it is the next question is why? Do you think you might be able to answer at least some of my questions?
      Im also still waiting for the proof Marciano hit the 300lns bag for 30 rds after sparring will you now provide it or again ignore it like you have all my other questions?

Comment

Originally posted by fifth_root View Post
        1. Evander was gradually gaining weight before facing Douglas
        2. Usyk moved slowly (too slow for a man his height) toward the heavyweight division, so he also didn't put that weight for AJ in particular
        3. Spinks against Holmes - Spinks has been 79 kg. while Holmes 100 - the reason for gaining some weight is apparent but there is also a lower limit for a division to meet (also upper for all of them except heavyweight)
        I think that people between 185-195 cm. and around 105 kg. are quite big for the heavyweight division. We now have a bigger number of gigantic people involved in the sport than before. But I don't exclude someone around 90 kg. (200 lbs) to be successful as well. With the establishment of the Bridgerweight, I doubt we will see it.
        Evander was gradually gaining weight before the Douglas fight BECAUSE he was NOW fighting heavyweights!
        There is no minimumweight a man must attain to challenge heavyweights.

Holyfield put on extra weight to compete at heavyweight . YES or NO?

Usyk put on extra weight to compete at heavyweight YES or NO?

In the case of both Holyfield and Usyk ,for the sake of simplicity, I picked the weight they were when they won the heavyweight title,I never stipulated,or implied they were not already gaining weight through a specifically designed weight regime to enable them to compete on a level playing field with the bigger men.

Anyone who says this was not necessary should ask themselves why these men both already world champions, with a team of nutritionists, and personal strength trainers,[ who we must assume know their business somewhat better than posters on a boxing forum],would do so?

Comment

Evander was gradually gaining weight before the Douglas fight BECAUSE he was NOW fighting heavyweights!
          There is no minimumweight a man must attain to challenge heavyweights.
          Wrong.

Holyfield put on extra weight to compete at heavyweight . YES or NO?

Usyk put on extra weight to compete at heavyweight YES or NO?

In the case of both Holyfield and Usyk ,for the sake of simplicity, I picked the weight they were when they won the heavyweight title,I never stipulated,or implied they were not already gaining weight through a specifically designed weight regime to enable them to compete on a level playing field with the bigger men.

Anyone who says this was not necessary should ask themselves why these men both already world champions, with a team of nutritionists, and personal strength trainers,[ who we must assume know their business somewhat better than posters on a boxing forum],would do so?
          This is absurd to ask even - if you are seriously underweight compared to your opponent, then you have to be very brave to challenge him, if this is possible, as it happens in the open weight tournaments in some styles but not in boxing. My answer is also related to what you are wrong about. But you see they didn't put too much weight, Usyk is still not that heavy for a man of his height, just heavy enough.

Comment

Wrong.

This is absurd to ask even - if you are seriously underweight compared to your opponent, then you have to be very brave to challenge him, if this is possible, as it happens in the open weight tournaments in some styles but not in boxing. My answer is also related to what you are wrong about. But you see they didn't put too much weight, Usyk is still not that heavy for a man of his height, just heavy enough.
            There is no requirement for ANY boxer to be above 200lbs when challenging for the heavyweight title,if I am wrong PRODUCE IT?

Usyk is 6'3" and was 222lbs when he won the Heavy title that is 10 lbs more than Liston weighed 10 lbs more than Ali weighed and 12 lbs more than Baer weighed, all men over 6 feet.
            Yes 222lb is heavy enough to compete with anyone IF you are GOOD enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Slugfester View Post

yet if they stood beside each other Alis head is twice as big, his voice twice as loud.

You are using head size and the volume of a man's voice now? How about who shit bigger turds? That must count for something.
              The voice bit had me rolling as well. "Listen to his voice!! Yep. He's a heavy alright!"

Comment

There is no requirement for ANY boxer to be above 200lbs when challenging for the heavyweight title,if I am wrong PRODUCE IT?
                You are telling me there is no requirement to meet the lower limit of a division in order to compete in it? Do you know why weight classes were created? I have to end this conversation, it is pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post

The voice bit had me rolling as well. "Listen to his voice!! Yep. He's a heavy alright!"
                  There is no logic to these arguments.
                  When a poster declares.
                  The reason Cruisers add weight to compete against heavyweights is because they,"do not know how to fight",and that Marciano would ko
                  Wlad
                  Lewis
                  Joshua
                  Bowe
                  You know you are dealing with a closed mind,one that is blinded by adoring hero worship.

Comment

You are telling me there is no requirement to meet the lower limit of a division in order to compete in it? Do you know why weight classes were created? I have to end this conversation, it is pointless.
                    Yes, that is exactly what I am saying there is nothing in the rules to preclude a fighter scaling under200lbs from challenging for the heavyweight title.
                    The fact that those that do compete always add muscle weight just confirms what I have been saying for about 20pages!
                    Weight classes were created to make boxing a level playing field.
                    The Cruiserweight division was created to help those men who fell between lhvy and heavyweight.

You are emphatically proving my point I wonder why you cannot see that!

Comment

Originally posted by Slugfester View Post

yet if they stood beside each other Alis head is twice as big, his voice twice as loud.

You are using head size and the volume of a man's voice now? How about who shit bigger turds? That must count for something.
                      Frank Bruno is the GOAT if head size and voice is the measure!!!
                      Slugfester Slugfester likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X