No announcement yet.

Louis vs Liston

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Louis vs Liston

This could be an absolute classic. Sonny bigger but not by that much. He’s got that huge reach and jab and he’d come out aggressively but Louis never backed off from anyone and wouldn’t hear. He’d rip in brutal short punches once he gets inside. I’m sure a lot of people would assume Liston blows him away but I’m really not so sure. Louis was very tough. Views? Sonny early? Louis pts? Louis early in a war?

Originally posted by cfang View Post
    This could be an absolute classic. Sonny bigger but not by that much. He’s got that huge reach and jab and he’d come out aggressively but Louis never backed off from anyone and wouldn’t hear. He’d rip in brutal short punches once he gets inside. I’m sure a lot of people would assume Liston blows him away but I’m really not so sure. Louis was very tough. Views? Sonny early? Louis pts? Louis early in a war?
    - - Which version of Joe and Sonny?

After Patterson blow outs, Sonny got soft on Whiskey in training for young Clay who had been looking like Dump vs Henry Cooper and Doug Jones, hence Sonny's subsequent poor performance against the running Clay.

When Joe fought Braddock for the title, he was very nervous what with the responsibility of representing a whole race of people excluded from championship heavywt boxing, so Joe started somewhat slow and was knocked down before he really got warmed into the fight.

On the other hand, if Liston after the Patterson fights was fighting Joe after some title defenses and the Schmeling rematch, we'd have a completely different fight. I'd say Joe still being quite a bit younger with experience in already beating the champ and going 2-1 against former champs would have a deeper boxing experience than did Sonny at any point in his career, so I'd pick Joe. He wouldn't freeze like Floyd did against Liston.

cfang cfang likes this.

Comment

Prime for prime this is a very rough for Louis because of Listons jab and that hes shorter than Louis. Louis works off his jab, so the first time in his career he’s gonna be faced with a longer and equivalently schooled jab. Louis has the speed and dynamic ability to still get it done, it all depends on who shows up on fight night. I think if Louis lost he might grab the rematch.
      cfang cfang likes this.

Comment

Prime for prime. So Louis vs schmeling 2 and Liston v Patterson 1 maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by cfang View Post
          Prime for prime. So Louis vs schmeling 2 and Liston v Patterson 1 maybe?
          I like Louis here. He was faster and pinpoint accurate. You can never count the version of Sonny out though.

Comment

Working...
          X